• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to keep the tar away

moderntimber

Greetings everyone!

I have a ongoing issue with keeping the tar which forms on the cigar's end from getting on my tongue - one of my favorite smokes is The Edge from RP, and that one sure builds up a lot of tar. One way I do it (and I usually smoke the torpedo shape end) is by cutting a slice of the cigar off a couple of times throughout the smoke. Is there any other suggestion? Thanks ahead

Out of the thousands of cigars I've smoked over the past 39 yrs I can only remember having a tar problem on two cigars, both Anjeos. It may have been a problem with that particular batch. If you're having frequent problems with tar it must something your doing, whatever that maybe. I suggest you search around here for how to store and cut your cigars.
Oh, and a word to the wise, wander over to the intro forum and introduce yourself. It's the polite thing to do when walking into someone's house

Doc.

Too small of a cut. Too wet. Power huffing. Bad batch of smokes.

wow thanks mmburtch, your first two answers fit... I like the torpedo end because I don't have to make a big cut, and this was a suspected culprit for the accumulating tar. At the same time, I like to keep my cigars on the humid side, like 75 to almost 80 %; although I don't have the problem with any other cigar (its true that these explanations can apply only to certain brands as not all cigars are the same :)

I have to admit that I'm not sure what "power huffing" refers to...

great answer, I will try a bigger cut, and if the problem persists I will reduce humidity (toward 70%) and evaluate results. Thanks again!!!

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
wink.gif

Doc.

Cut your torpedoes at an angle. Drastically cuts down on tar vulnerability and helps open up the sometimes tight torp draw. When it does tar up, yes, trim down the original cut as needed.

Derek

At the same time, I like to keep my cigars on the humid side, like 75 to almost 80 %.....

At that level, your chances of having mold problems are substantially higher too. I can't believe you're not having burn issues as well.

G-

Cut your torpedoes at an angle. Drastically cuts down on tar vulnerability and helps open up the sometimes tight torp draw. When it does tar up, yes, trim down the original cut as needed.

Derek

Good point Derek; I will try the angle cut and see how that goes too. Since the initial post I had my cigar and I cut a bigger hole, almost as big as the cigar. Reduced tar buildup considerably, but now I cannot enjoy the torpedo/pyramid shape too well... the reason I like that shape is because I am able to leave a narrower end of the cigar in place so I can hold it with my teeth better (like when its my turn to deal at poker) but oh well... I'll just put it down for the moment.

I will try your tip, and also maybe reduce the humidity as per what mmburtch said. Thank you!

I never have a problem with tarring. I think it is because I don't slobber on my cigars.

Out of the thousands of cigars I've smoked over the past 39 yrs I can only remember having a tar problem on two cigars, both Anjeos.
Same here, Doc - I have a couple of boxes of aged #48's that seem to tar up now and then.

I keep a cutter outside where I smoke for just this reason. When they get bad, i just take 1/8" off the end and all's well again.

Derek

Good point Derek; I will try the angle cut and see how that goes too. Since the initial post I had my cigar and I cut a bigger hole, almost as big as the cigar. Reduced tar buildup considerably, but now I cannot enjoy the torpedo/pyramid shape too well... the reason I like that shape is because I am able to leave a narrower end of the cigar in place so I can hold it with my teeth better (like when its my turn to deal at poker) but oh well... I'll just put it down for the moment.

I will try your tip, and also maybe reduce the humidity as per what mmburtch said. Thank you!

I would also be willing to bet that your having problems because your keeping the head too wet (keeping it in your mouth).