• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to lower the RH of the humidor below ambient?

Eventhorizon

Hello all,

I've read recently about the practice of dry-boxing a cigar a few days before smoking - at about 55%.  Problem is, I don't have an electronic humi and Bovenda's onlu go to 62%.  I'm in SE PA and it's more humid than an overly caffinated wrestler's armpit in mid-fake-rant...

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks

65%. I have 57 cigars in a 75 cigar humidor (it's almost full, the 75 number is hopeful...). I'm using two 65% Boveda packs and a small credo box filled with silica (cat litter).Ambinet humidity is about 70%

Use a floral foam humidifier and good old PG solution. add a few drops when it goes down to 53 or 54. I used it for years. It just takes paying attention to it, how much water you add, when, etc.

MadMonk said:
Use a floral foam humidifier and good old PG solution. add a few drops when it goes down to 53 or 54. I used it for years. It just takes paying attention to it, how much water you add, when, etc.

How does this - lower - the current RH level? I don't need to add RH as the ambient RH is higher than what I want.

Man, you have a lot of variables here.

Do you have AC? If so, open the lid of the humie for awhile. The HR will go down, conditioned air doesn't  support humidity well.

Do you not have AC? I'd try a hairdryer on the litter(assuming it's charged)to dry it out a bit.

There is a lot here to consider as I said.  

smokem said:
Man, you have a lot of variables here.

Do you have AC? If so, open the lid of the humie for awhile. The HR will go down, conditioned air doesn't  support humidity well.

Do you not have AC? I'd try a hairdryer on the litter(assuming it's charged)to dry it out a bit.

There is a lot here to consider as I said.  
hmm... I hadn't considered AC.  The humi is in the basement where it's naturally cooler and I've got the AC blocked off at the vents.  I'll also give the hair dryer a go and take out the Boveda's to see if it works out.  I'm thinking of setting up a dry-box tupperdor and so might put the silica in that after drying them out. 

Humidipak also makes Packs for musical instruments.  I have them in my guitar case to keep the wood from cracking.  I believe they run 45-50%  Single out the stick(s) you plan to smoke and place them in a baggie with a dryer % bag for a few days.

Are you wanting to lower the RH in your humi or are you worried about dry boxing your cigars?  You'll be fine by just grabbing a cigar box from your local shop and putting your cigar in there for a day.  It's not going to hurt it and it should allow it to drop the RH just fine.

Eventhorizon said:

How does this - lower - the current RH level? I don't need to add RH as the ambient RH is higher than what I want.

OK, if you want to lower it quicker, place some dry spanish cedar in the humidor. Typically Divider sheets of the pieces that is on the bottom row of the cigar box .
I am coming from the standpoint that you want to create a dry box.
Once you get the humidity down to your target "dry box" level, maintain it by judiciously adding a little pg solution or distilled water to the foam.
You could try to acclimate kitty litter beads to the 55% level, but I forget how to do that.

I had forgotten about those humidipaks for Instruments. Those would be great, but more pricey. Just use an old hefty cigar box if you just need a dry box that hold a day or threes worth of smokes.

You might also try moving your dry box up from the basement.  I would think that, assuming your running AC anyways, that the upstairs would offer less humidity in he summer months.

I'm using an old Padron box and have moved it up from the basement to the bedroom where the temp is 74 degrees.  I'll be testing it out with the smoke tomorrow evening which will account for two days worth of 'dry boxing'.

Will update with hopefully a positive review...

thanks for the help gents.

First off, you need to know for sure what the ambient RH is.  I have a hygrometer next to my cigar cabinet for just that purpose.  If your ambient RH is 80%, for example, you'll need to desiccate your storage somehow.  There are a number of ways to do this, but If I didn't have central HVAC to manage my RH (or at least keep it low), I'd look into something like one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Renewable-E-333-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFCS/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1374425607&sr=8-13&keywords=dehumidifier

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Eva-Dry-EDV1100-Petite-Mini-Dehumidifier/dp/B0069ABM7A/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1374425875&sr=8-11&keywords=dehumidifier

...now, obviously one of those would draw down the RH lower than you want so you wouldn't want to just leave it in there long term.

OTOH, A cooler that sealed very well and a pound of Heartfelt beads just might be the way to go.  Depends on what your existing storage is.

Good luck - B.B.S.

Hey all,

OK, I used litter (hair dried) and it didn't make a bit of difference.  Maybe I need to use more..?

I can't use the AC too much as it would lower the temp too much for the kids.  I need a humi localized solution. The RH in the humi is 75%!  Not good.  I can move the humi upstairs where there is more AC but the temp is around 75 degrees - is that too high?

I'll look into the instrument dehumidifiers.

I'm thinking maybe I over seasoned my humi.  How do I dry it out a bit?

Many thanks for the responses so far.

BlindedByScience said:
First off, you need to know for sure what the ambient RH is.  I have a hygrometer next to my cigar cabinet for just that purpose.  If your ambient RH is 80%, for example, you'll need to desiccate your storage somehow.  There are a number of ways to do this, but If I didn't have central HVAC to manage my RH (or at least keep it low), I'd look into something like one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Renewable-E-333-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFCS/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1374425607&sr=8-13&keywords=dehumidifier

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Eva-Dry-EDV1100-Petite-Mini-Dehumidifier/dp/B0069ABM7A/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1374425875&sr=8-11&keywords=dehumidifier

...now, obviously one of those would draw down the RH lower than you want so you wouldn't want to just leave it in there long term.

OTOH, A cooler that sealed very well and a pound of Heartfelt beads just might be the way to go.  Depends on what your existing storage is.

Good luck - B.B.S.

I got the Eva-Dry and it's working! The RH is down about 3% already after a couple days.  Nice and slow is good so nothing cracks!  Thanks for the heads up.

You can also go to Home Depot/Lowes and get some Damp-Rid.  That can be used as a desiccant to help bring down the humidity.  

Eventhorizon said:

Good luck - B.B.S.

I got the Eva-Dry and it's working! The RH is down about 3% already after a couple days.  Nice and slow is good so nothing cracks!  Thanks for the heads up.

Great tip, and good reusable solution for $17.

I had been using some dessicant bags that would over time have to be placed in 200 degree oven for hours, this will be much more simple.