• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to make CP better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Every so often I like to ask the question: "How can we make CigarPass better"? I try my best to accomodate as many requests as possible. With that said, please post your suggestions on how we can make CP better. What features do you want to see? Do you want any type of cigar info added to the site?

Last time I asked this question we ended up getting Texas Hold'em Poker, which is now FREE for all CP members!

I look forward to your suggestions... :thumbs:

Suggestion -

Would it be possible to allow the movement of Group Buys and Box Splits and to a "Filled" and/or "In Progress" status and then into a completed status. Similar to the way we currently handle box PASSES.

Just my 2¢.

I would love to see as many size and shape charts, like the Opus, Fuente, and Tats, that we have now. At least of the more popular/rare sticks. Those are great resources.

Thanks again Rod for the great site! It only continues to get better! :thumbs:

Thanks again Rod for the great site! It only continues to get better! :thumbs:

This is a great site - and Rod deserves all the credit in the world for that.

Sorry for the negativity, KC, but.... It depends of from what perspective you say it's getting better. I'm not sure where you're going with the "it only continues to get better"... Since I've been here, things seem to be getting worse in some very frightening ways. I'm concerned about where things are really heading...

For example, I personally think there should be some community and personal recognition that some individuals don't know squat about certain things (i.e. ISOM cigars, how to run box passes, how to run group buys, etc.). This should be taken into consideration in their interactions in this community. There have arisen some needless situations recently which caused mistrust and discontent, and could have been avoided if the person had considered where they were in their learning curve.

Rather than learning by doing, maybe there should be a learning by experience (members involving themselves in the opportunities when the arise, rather than creating a situation which causes potential for problems). After all, it is for the absolute good of the ENTIRE community, not just certain sectors. Certainly demonstrated over and over again recently, some individuals feel they're providing benefit to the entire community by what they do, when in reality they service their needs at the expense of the community. Unfortunately, I fear that Rod really doesn't have any control over that - it is a community and an individual person type issue. It means some individuals have to take responsibility for the way they conduct themselves - and how their actions affect the community - which appears not likely to happen.

So in response to your assessment of the site KC, there needs to be some work done on the community by the community. ;)

George,

Thanks for the response. You're right, I can't monitor every single situation, that would be impossible. CP is still a "member moderated" forum, which means it's up the to community to ensure things run smoohtly and fairly. As long as the more experienced members try to guide the newer members in a mature manner, I believe everything will get better.

It's nice to see how the drama has dramatically decreased over the past month or so. If there are issues that need to be dealt with, please send me an email. Now that the new site is up and running, I'll be posting rules in the different forums. This will help eleviate most questions regarding passes or group buys.

Personally, I think certain members should be assigned to certain forums. Let's say George has a lot of experience in group buys, and knows the rules of CP well. He can "mentor" newer members on how group buys work. Or perhaps another member is big into cigar passes, he could be the "mentor" of the passes forum, and help members with their passes. Just an idea... The "mentors" would not be moderators, rather guides. However, they could also watch for fishy activity and report it back to me.

Rod

So in response to your assessment of the site KC, there needs to be some work done on the community by the community. ;)
Hear, hear.

I keep hearing "user moderated" but I still see questionable group buys, splits, trades, etc. going on by folks that really don't know what they are doing. In the "old days" folks would get their chops busted by the FOG's and I don't see that happening as much as I think it needs to if this really is a "user moderated" forum. Someone's going to get burned..... :whistling:

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

Hear, hear.

I keep hearing "user moderated" but I still see questionable group buys, splits, trades, etc. going on by folks that really don't know what they are doing. In the "old days" folks would get their chops busted by the FOG's and I don't see that happening as much as I think it needs to if this really is a "user moderated" forum. Someone's going to get burned..... :whistling:

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

I dunno, but it seems that everyone who has needed their chops busted has gotten them busted. Perhaps not to the "degree" that was common in the past, but that -- in my opinion -- is a good thing. You can take out the trash without breaking the bag on the way out the door.

Do you have examples of folks who have not been called out for their actions? I can't recall anyone having received a free pass for anything. It just doesn't happen.

Since there are few cigar rating authorities that are available on line that are worth a sh@# how about organizing a database of cigars that are rated by a rotating panel of members. We have the format for a cigar review and the guidelines are fairly well laid out. That works well, but the person rating knows what they are rating and is perhaps the rating is skewed by what the cigar is. There will always be those cigars that are readily dicernable by sight (like the Onyx mini) but a blind test database would certainly be interesting for me and perhaps others. I know it will take a long time to compile a decent list but it might also be valuable for those who are new to smoking cigars to have some reference. It would probably have to be run like a group buy where the panel members pay the cost of buying and shipping, since I doubt there are any benevolent members willing to foot the bill. To make it more efficient, more than one cigar would be rated each period.

Anyway, just a thought.

Since there are few cigar rating authorities that are available on line that are worth a sh@# how about organizing a database of cigars that are rated by a rotating panel of members. We have the format for a cigar review and the guidelines are fairly well laid out. That works well, but the person rating knows what they are rating and is perhaps the rating is skewed by what the cigar is. There will always be those cigars that are readily dicernable by sight (like the Onyx mini) but a blind test database would certainly be interesting for me and perhaps others. I know it will take a long time to compile a decent list but it might also be valuable for those who are new to smoking cigars to have some reference. It would probably have to be run like a group buy where the panel members pay the cost of buying and shipping, since I doubt there are any benevolent members willing to foot the bill. To make it more efficient, more than one cigar would be rated each period.

Anyway, just a thought.
See what I mean?

NA

Anyway, just a thought.
That is an awesome idea!! It would be fun to participate as well as read. Here's one way how we could make it work and still have the unknown factor. 5 guys, 5 rounds, 4 cigars a round, in each round one participant buys 4 boxes or 4 fivers and sends 1 cigar from each box/fiver to each participant, everyone does a blind taste test/review except the guy who bought them, and then it rotates to another participant to purchase the box/fiver for everyone to review, and so on until everyone has done the purchase and a review of 20 cigars will have been done. That would be fun!! :thumbs:

Anyway, just a thought.
See what I mean?

NA

LMAO!

Okay. I get it. This is a "stultifyingly dull" contest right? Did I win?

NA

Hear, hear.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

I dunno, but it seems that everyone who has needed their chops busted has gotten them busted. Perhaps not to the "degree" that was common in the past, but that -- in my opinion -- is a good thing. You can take out the trash without breaking the bag on the way out the door.

Do you have examples of folks who have not been called out for their actions? I can't recall anyone having received a free pass for anything. It just doesn't happen.

Oh, Steve... :rolleyes:

There are some that have been called out who think they didn't deserve to be called out - and acted like an ass while others thought things needed to change around here and rose to their defense... Sad, but true... :whistling:

Hear, hear.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

There are some that have been called out who think they didn't deserve to be called out - and acted like an ass while others thought things needed to change around here and rose to their defense... Sad, but true... :whistling:
But while this may or may not be true it has little to do with any suggestion that Rod was asking for. He does not control the CP community and from all his postings intends to keep it a "user moderated" forum. So ...

I believe Rod is looking for new additions or modifications to the site to make it better, easier to navigate, more informative, fun, etc. There was a thread at one time that was going to include interviews with CP members or notable cigar individuals that I would love to see get going again. And I think the idea of a cigar review panel would be great.

I also think it would be cool if there was some way to link cigar reviews to a particular cigar. Sometimes the search function doesn't work well, or if someone uses an abreviation, you don't find the review. If there was a running database or table that linked reviews to the cigars for easier searchability, that might be cool. I'm no DB expert and have no idea what backend this forum uses, so I don't know if this is even possible. Just a thought.

Thanks,
- C

Hear, hear.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

But while this may or may not be true it has little to do with any suggestion that Rod was asking for. He does not control the CP community and from all his postings intends to keep it a "user moderated" forum. So ...

I believe Rod is looking for new additions or modifications to the site to make it better, easier to navigate, more informative, fun, etc. There was a thread at one time that was going to include interviews with CP members or notable cigar individuals that I would love to see get going again. And I think the idea of a cigar review panel would be great.

I also think it would be cool if there was some way to link cigar reviews to a particular cigar. Sometimes the search function doesn't work well, or if someone uses an abreviation, you don't find the review. If there was a running database or table that linked reviews to the cigars for easier searchability, that might be cool. I'm no DB expert and have no idea what backend this forum uses, so I don't know if this is even possible. Just a thought.

Thanks,
- C
Rods question was not posed in a vacuum. Discussion of wrong headed comments by members on this thread, or any thread, is completely reasonable.

NA

Rods question was not posed in a vacuum. Discussion of wrong headed comments by members on this thread, or any thread, is completely reasonable.

NA

I very much agree. For the most part, it is a discussion, and again, for the most part, it works. Thats the basis of self moderation. I don't grant my proxy based on post count or ring guage. Respect and leadership are earned. Yep, I know. I'm a newbie, but I get a vote here - as does every registered member. If I see someone, even someone with my respect call out a wrong, I'll listen and probably heed. Understand that while I appreciate the guidance, its exactly that. I may still CHOSE to join the group buy.

Leaders will rise to the occasion, however, shit floats. If anyone wants to call someone out, make your point and list EVIDENCE. If you want a broader audience, inuendo just won't cut it. I wasn't here until 01/06, so I didn't see that this guy already did whatever. If you begin with an attitude, you have about a 50% chance of your message being eclipsed by the messenger. Start name calling, thats about 90%. Its crack out the popcorn time. Sadly, there are a few on this board that FEED on the name calling.

Hear, hear.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

How very Pollyana of you, Corey...

Yes - Rod does control the CP community - and uses "user moderated" format in order to accomplish his vision. If you know anything about Rod, he's not one to stick his head in the sand in order to make the noise go away. He does appreciate ALL comments in this thread, and will assign value to the comments based upon his vision for this board, not what we think Rod should take out of it...

I think reviews, and cigar smoking, and herf's, and box passes, and trades, and bombs and... <et al> contributes to making a great site. But if you have a bunch of recklessness going on in the community, it ain't gonna be great for very long and I know that concerns Rod... ;)

NA

I very much agree. For the most part, it is a discussion, and again, for the most part, it works. Thats the basis of self moderation. I don't grant my proxy based on post count or ring guage. Respect and leadership are earned. Yep, I know. I'm a newbie, but I get a vote here - as does every registered member. If I see someone, even someone with my respect call out a wrong, I'll listen and probably heed. Understand that while I appreciate the guidance, its exactly that. I may still CHOSE to join the group buy.

Leaders will rise to the occasion, however, shit floats. If anyone wants to call someone out, make your point and list EVIDENCE. If you want a broader audience, inuendo just won't cut it. I wasn't here until 01/06, so I didn't see that this guy already did whatever. If you begin with an attitude, you have about a 50% chance of your message being eclipsed by the messenger. Start name calling, thats about 90%. Its crack out the popcorn time. Sadly, there are a few on this board that FEED on the name calling.

Bruce - Because you've only been here for a short ride, you weren't here for all the bumps previous to your arrival. And I was not here for all the bumps prior to my arrival (when others with more tenure were feeling those bumps). I trust the judgement of those that have established themselves as being trustworthy - much like you do. But I will not expect them (nor demand them, for that matter) to list out their grievances in public for me to judge. It's not my place, nor will I ask they do that before I make my judgement. If I'm truly concerned about what they're doing, I'll do the research, or direct my question directly to them in private - not just go off half-cocked in a thread... That makes one look REALLY foolish.

"Those who think you know it all are really annoying to those that really do!" (author unknown) Words to live by - I just wish more would heed the words... ;)

...and what "vote" do you talk about? Are we running an election? Is it some kind of popularity contest where everyone votes their choices? Nope - the way I see it - this is a community set up by Rod, run by Rod's rulesand vision. Sorry - but none of us have a "vote" in that - it's very much autocratic, not democratic... :whistling:

Rod, I think your idea about mentors is a good one; someone to float a box pass or group buy ideas to. There are some here that already ask an established member to get some advice regarding a box pass, group buy, posting F.A.Q.s, etc., so lets see if it is possible to formalize it.

On a side note...George, you need to stop being the voice of reason, bro. You're starting to make sense to me and that scares me a bit :D

Status
Not open for further replies.