• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to make CP better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the "mentor" idea. Who's to say that one "mentor's" ideas, philosophy, suggestions, guidance is the way to go? Just let people post their opinions on what to do. Sometimes a guy who's not known here or has only a few posts can provides better guidance that anyone else here possibly could. Anyone remember Steve*R? If not, go back and look up his posts.

There are also those who absolutely, positively refuse to take anyone's friendly advice, suggestions or guidance because they just plain know it all already.

Again, no mentors, just let the site take care of itself like it always has with respect to passes, group buys, etc. The asshats will continue to howl and whine about being "bullied" or being "mistreated" and when they do, they'll provide entertainment. :laugh:

I don't like the "mentor" idea. Who's to say that one "mentor's" ideas, philosophy, suggestions, guidance is the way to go? Just let people post their opinions on what to do. Sometimes a guy who's not known here or has only a few posts can provides better guidance that anyone else here possibly could. Anyone remember Steve*R? If not, go back and look up his posts.

There are also those who absolutely, positively refuse to take anyone's friendly advice, suggestions or guidance because they just plain know it all already.

Again, no mentors, just let the site take care of itself like it always has with respect to passes, group buys, etc. The asshats will continue to howl and whine about being "bullied" or being "mistreated" and when they do, they'll provide entertainment. :laugh:

Your argument has merit, but consider your own words: advice, suggestions, or (offer) guidance. At CP, its ALL you can do. Would your opinion be different if Rod asks you to serve as split/group buy mentor? Would you serve?

Your argument has merit, but consider your own words: advice, suggestions, or (offer) guidance. At CP, its ALL you can do. Would your opinion be different if Rod asks you to serve as split/group buy mentor? Would you serve?
You'e not making any sense at all.

Makes perfect sense to me, unlike some of the rest of the posts in this thread.

And which ones don't make sense to you? I'd also like to see you explain just what exactly it is that smurf was trying to say because again, it makes no sense to me.

And which ones don't make sense to you? I'd also like to see you explain just what exactly it is that smurf was trying to say because again, it makes no sense to me.

Seemed to me he was asking you if you would take a position of "mentor" given the opportunity.

Mr. Twain's posts rarely make sense these days, at least to me, in reference to just about anything said on this board.

If you spot a transaction that you consider could be done better, you can offer advice. There is nothing you can do to force anyone to change. If its bad form, everyone with experience will pounce. As the mentor, you'd lead - and pounce first most likely. By designating the Mentor, Rod is offering that this person has the experience to lead in that area. I've seen your splits and group buys and consider you above reproach. I don't bother to check your prices either.

A newbie's perspective. I am a newbie here. Just a little over a month. As a newbie, it's hard to figure out where to go or where to start, who to talk to or confide in for answers to questions they don't want to openly post. Other than the Newbie Sampler Trade. Even then, that particular thread is a little difficult to find. Maybe move the Newbie Sampler Trade in the "Introduce Yourself Here" area. This way, it's one of the first things a newbie will see when he introduces himself to the Members.

I also really like the idea of a Mentor. Let's face it, there is a class difference between Fogs and Newbies. The Fogs didn't become Fogs for no reason. They have time, experience and knowledge in trades and passes. I think some Even in this area, it seems a little difficult for a newbie to start a pass or participate because they haven't shown their quality. How can he show it without guidance and participation? It’s like the chicken and the egg. Aside from a few trades and Newbie Sampler, it's difficult to get started. This is where a Mentor can come in handy to show the ropes and help the newbie get actively involved instead of just hanging back. The key word is active involvement instead of passive.

Just my very humble two cents.

Seemed to me he was asking you if you would take a position of "mentor" given the opportunity.

Mr. Twain's posts rarely make sense these days, at least to me, in reference to just about anything said on this board.

Are you here to offer suggestions, or stir up the pot? You remind me of the weekend flag football participant who's the last guy to jump on the pile after the play has been over for a while. Nothing more to add other than obnoxious, inflammatory behavior - and the first one to complain when there is obnoxious behavior.

Here's another clear example of the state of the union. :rolleyes:

Other than the Newbie Sampler Trade. Even then, that particular thread is a little difficult to find. Maybe move the Newbie Sampler Trade in the "Introduce Yourself Here" area. This way, it's one of the first things a newbie will see when he introduces himself to the Members.

Excellent suggestion! :thumbs:

Rod, what do you think?

Wilkey

A newbie's perspective. I am a newbie here. Just a little over a month. As a newbie, it's hard to figure out where to go or where to start, who to talk to or confide in for answers to questions they don't want to openly post. Other than the Newbie Sampler Trade. Even then, that particular thread is a little difficult to find. Maybe move the Newbie Sampler Trade in the "Introduce Yourself Here" area. This way, it's one of the first things a newbie will see when he introduces himself to the Members.

I also really like the idea of a Mentor. Let's face it, there is a class difference between Fogs and Newbies. The Fogs didn't become Fogs for no reason. They have time, experience and knowledge in trades and passes. I think some Even in this area, it seems a little difficult for a newbie to start a pass or participate because they haven't shown their quality. How can he show it without guidance and participation? It’s like the chicken and the egg. Aside from a few trades and Newbie Sampler, it's difficult to get started. This is where a Mentor can come in handy to show the ropes and help the newbie get actively involved instead of just hanging back. The key word is active involvement instead of passive.

It can be dizzying at first - but with time it gets better. Just have some patience and you'll understand - it just takes time. Ask questions when you need to, read a lot (there's plenty to read) and participate where you're able. Let others get to know you. It's really not that hard...

Are you here to offer suggestions, or stir up the pot? You remind me of the weekend flag football participant who's the last guy to jump on the pile after the play has been over for a while. Nothing more to add other than obnoxious, inflammatory behavior - and the first one to complain when there is obnoxious behavior.

Here's another clear example of the state of the union. :rolleyes:

Interesting that you reference a pot here..how ironic.

To answer your question- I was asked something and I answered. Nothing more, nothing less. If thats "stirring" something, I am far from the only one doing it.

It can be dizzying at first - but with time it gets better. Just have some patience and you'll understand - it just takes time. Ask questions when you need to, read a lot (there's plenty to read) and participate where you're able. Let others get to know you. It's really not that hard...

Most definitely! :thumbs: It's one the pieces of advice I recently gave a Newbie. A big part of it is that you should become known and the foundation. It's like entering into a relationship. Trust builds over time. My point was that a newbie should also have an avenue of active participation. Even guidance on how to go about active participation. Hence, my support of the idea of a mentor.

I don't think the Newbie Trade should be moved. It's in the proper sub forum. Newber guys will stumble upon it since it's stickied.

So you don't think this is a baiting post kilt? I guess because of the premise of the statement itself you could claim ignorance but why be redundant, yes?

NA

So you don't think this is a baiting post kilt? I guess because of the premise of the statement itself you could claim ignorance but why be redundant, yes?

NA

Maybe you missed "at least to me". If ignorance means not understanding your posts, I'm guilty as charged. Your posts, again- TO ME, rarely keep to topic these days and certainly don't contribute to the discussion. But I'm ignorant, and now being redundant too..so carry on. :rolleyes:

I know - this wasn't bait either, was it... :rolleyes:

My knee-jerk reaction is that Bill is right. I think that appointing mentors may discourage other knowledgable members from contributing and helping younger members. I think we should leave it as is and try to take it upon ourselves to help Newbies out by volunteering opinions and offering our help as often as possible.

Patrick

NA

Maybe you missed "at least to me". If ignorance means not understanding your posts, I'm guilty as charged. Your posts, again- TO ME, rarely keep to topic these days and certainly don't contribute to the discussion. But I'm ignorant, and now being redundant too..so carry on. :rolleyes:
It's quite all right kilt. You are forgiven your genetics. Next time I notice one of the mutts around I'll strive for clarity.

NA

Status
Not open for further replies.