• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to open Heartfelt tube ?

Mr.Smoke

Hi guys,

Today i received a large heartfelt 65%  tube charged with beads. I have a little problem, i can't open that thing, i used all my force but got no success. 
My question is: it's possible to open these tubes? or is there any thrick to open them? I know this sounds stupid.....
I've read on their website that 2 ounces of beds (which si what i have) takes 3-4 teaspoons of DW (15-20ml). So if i add something like 15 ml of DW will this hydtrate about 3 quarters of the beads ? I ask that because i can't see anything trough that tube.

Thanks !

Just use the whole tube so you know you have plenty. More is better with a humidification device especially in the winter time.

Yes, but i don't know how much water to ad, thats why i want to open the tube, to see when the beads get clear. But if 15 ml of water is ok i'll just add that. 

You'll be able to see the beads turn through the tube without opening it. They go from white to translucent.

They stick that's for sure, normally I twist it off and it comes off

I wish I would have never removed the cap from mine. Once loose mine slips off from time to time when moving it around and dumps beads all over the place. 

sigar_zealot said:
I wish I would have never removed the cap from mine. Once loose mine slips off from time to time when moving it around and dumps beads all over the place. 
I was going to say the same thing. Once you get that lid off the first time it comes off very easily (too easily) from them on.

I added 15ml of DW with a seringe. I put the tube with the hygrometer inside a small tupperware box, the reading is 79% (the actual reding is 74% but my hygrometer reads 5% less)
What i did wrong? .....

Sounds like the first thing you need to do is calibrate your hygrometer...

I did the salt test and the reading was 70%, so the reading is 5% less.  

This might have been answered in a different thread, but have you replaced the battery in your hygrometer and re-calibrated it?

If you have 65% beads, they should be no where near 79%.  I would bet it's something with your hygrometer.

2K6TBSS said:
This might have been answered in a different thread, but have you replaced the battery in your hygrometer and re-calibrated it?

If you have 65% beads, they should be no where near 79%.  I would bet it's something with your hygrometer.
I think maybe is something with the hygro, the battery is 2 months old, i will do the salt test again.

Mr.Smoke said:

I think maybe is something with the hygro, the battery is 2 months old, i will do the salt test again.

Good idea...or buy a calibration kit made by Boveda, that'll take the guess work out of using the salt correctly.

I would never add water to beads....having made the mistake of adding too much to a couple of tubes a few years ago, and molding them up.

Instead, I'd put a shot glass or two of distilled water in the humidor and let physics do it's stuff.  Watch the RH and when it's a couple points above the beads value, pull the shot glasses out.

What was your reading before you put the bead sticks in (Heartfelt)?

broblues said:
What was your reading before you put the bead sticks in (Heartfelt)?
I didn't put the beads in my humidor yet. I just wanted to do a test, so i put them in a small tupperware box. In my humidor the hygrometer was reading 59-60%. I mention i added the quantity of water mentioned on their website which is 3-4 teaspoons. I've found on the internet that 1 teaspoon is 5 ml, so i added 15 ml 

They (Heartfelt) offer a little syringe to wet the beads. 

broblues said:
They (Heartfelt) offer a little syringe to wet the beads. 
That is what i used: a seringe, not the one from the website, just a regular one from pharmacy.
EDIT  I did the wet salt test again and my hygrometer is reading exactly like the last test - 5% less. I also changed the battery.

Quick update: I just managed to open the tube. It seems like the ends was stucked, but after i added water, they mellowed out somehow, so they popped out easily. Now i can see that all the beads are clear, but not dripping wet or something like that. I let the tube in open air, and today i tested them again, and the rh was more than 70% in less than 1 hour. I'll try to dry them now.
So, the conclusion is that 15 ml of dw is waaay too much for 2 ounces of beads.  I think 8 ml will be just right.
So, if there is someone who's just getting beads, keep that in mind: 8 ml for 2 ounces

Keep in mind, if the beads were already charged (clear when you got them), then adding water might have been part of the problem.  You only want about 60-75% of the beads clear, and the others to be white.