• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to prevent burnt rims?

edng

I know a torch is out but no matter how hard i try and use a small flame from a regular bic lighter, the rim seems getting scorched a little from each light. I find that a regular small paper/wooden match works best for me so far.

Any other suggestions?

A torch is not out of the question if you use it properly. There was a video around here by some German fellow describing the technique. I've searched, briefly, but I can't find it. The gist of it was don't apply the torch for more than 3 seconds, I think. Then repeat until the pipe is lit.

Doc.

Any lighter that uses butane for fuel (Bics, Corona Old Boy [which I have and LOVE], etc.) can burn the rim. Butane burns VERY hot. Zippos use a fuel that burns much cooler. They can burn the wood of your pipe, but you'd have to hold it there for a LONG time.

The great thing about the Corona pipe lighters is that the flame is very easy to direct. You can light without even touching the rim of the bowl with flame with a little practice. The Zippo (which I also have and love for outdoor use) is great because it doesn't matter if you touch the rim of the bowl while lighting. I just turn the wheel, turn it on it's side, lay it on the pipe, and draw.

Prometheus makes a soft-flame refillable pipe-lighter with a built-in tamper for like $12...

I want to say it is called the Bently.

Pipe lighters help.
Matches are good.

I've recently taken to packing bowls less than 100% full (leaving about 1/8 inch of space at the top of the bowl) which seems to help as well.

The Zippo (which I also have and love for outdoor use) is great because it doesn't matter if you touch the rim of the bowl while lighting. I just turn the wheel, turn it on it's side, lay it on the pipe, and draw.

Great minds think alike :thumbs:

You believe correctly. These are excellent videos for the new or old pipe smoker.

Doc.

Thank you very much for the enlightening advise.... i always thought fire was... well, just fire..... didnt realize some burnt 'cooler' than others

I'm surprised that Zippo was mentioned.... wont the fumes from the fuel stain the taste of the tobacco as well as darken a rim more quickly?

That's why it has the ability to turn it on it's side instead of tip it upside down. Zippo made the lighters especially for pipes.

PipeLighterBrushedBrass204PL.jpg

Just what one looks like, you can turn them on their side and not worry about fuel leaking into the bowl.

Thank you very much for the enlightening advise.... i always thought fire was... well, just fire..... didnt realize some burnt 'cooler' than others

I'm surprised that Zippo was mentioned.... wont the fumes from the fuel stain the taste of the tobacco as well as darken a rim more quickly?
The new Zippo fuel is supposed to be less "fragrant". Even using the old stuff as long as it burned for a couple of seconds before lighting I never tasted anything. Same with lighting cigars.

Personally, I think the whole fuel taste thing is overblown. Some will taste it, some just smell it and say they taste it, and some just say they taste it because everyone else says they taste it.

I think you're right about that. I used to think I tasted fuel, only because I could smell it.

let it burn for a few seconds, and I can't taste any difference.

yes a Zippo pipe lighter is the way to go.

any fuel smell burns off, you can't taste it.

I know a torch is out but no matter how hard i try and use a small flame from a regular bic lighter, the rim seems getting scorched a little from each light. I find that a regular small paper/wooden match works best for me so far.

Any other suggestions?

I like Wooden Matches a pack of 10 boxes for $1
When I pack a lighter I always grab a box of matches for a backup.
But a box of matches never needs a backup!

Pipe smokers use Zippo Fluid?
Can't you taste it?

Any other suggestions?

I like Wooden Matches a pack of 10 boxes for $1
When I pack a lighter I always grab a box of matches for a backup.
But a box of matches never needs a backup!

Pipe smokers use Zippo Fluid?
Can't you taste it?

Nope, not like cigars, the fluid isn't drawn down into the bowl. Just get a zippo (Exclusively for pipes) and give it a whirl.