• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to seal a humidor door?

cigar2347

Hi
my humidor loses its tight seal a day or two after wipping down the lid.

Any suggestions on how I can make the seal permant?

On a serious note what about felt strips depending on how big the gap us. I'm assuming this is just a desktop so some nice thin felt strips should do the trick.

But really why are you whipping it down with a wet rag. Is just a crappy humidor that has a real shitty seal that only seals if the wood is soaked and swollen? Have you seasoned it properly? Is the cover sealing and holding humidity just not super tight?

When you drop the lid down from about an inch do you get a popping sound? Also how much of the cedar creates a lip? You really need at least a quieter inch.

Try sailmakers' wax. I've never tried it, but I understand from those in the know, it works.

Doc

I've bought about 8 humidors, ranging from probably $80 to $300, and not a one has a decent seal. Just can't bring myself to spend a grand on a frickin box, I've resorted to tupperware. I'd just rather spend that money on cigars than furniture.

When smoking regularly, I'll load my humidor with some sticks, but they're all like humidification device drying machines.

It's frustrating for sure.

I've tried silicone sealant (to no avail), felt is just going to wick moisture, albeit likely slower. Running TAPE around the top looks horrible lol.

On either the lid or bottom, rout out a thin channel and stuff something like the rubber rope (spline) that holds the screen in a door in it. Just a thought.

Yeah if repeated wipe downs or sailer wax doesn't work, get a cooler, and use the humidor for a dry box or at least, dryer box.

edit to add: I just thought of something. What type of Humidor is it? I use two trems to describe the most popular types of Box construction. One is Laminated Cedar, where a thin layer of a hardwood is laminated onto a body of cedar. The other is what I call a box in a box which is an outer box made of real pieces of a solid hardwood, and then pieces of cedar are added to form the inner box, bottom, side walls. These are typically just pressed in, with no glue, allowing the cedar to expand and contract with the moisture levels, Two makers who have used this was the old Hillsdale House, and then Reed and Barton who made Humidors for diamond crown. This type can often have the seal improved by very carefully removing the cedar side panels. Then lift out the cedar bottom. Place a sheet or two of Cedar sheet that is used in cigar boxes to separate the layers of cigars. Place the bottom cedar panel over the Cedar "shims" add back the side panels. Now the cedar side panels and the lips that they form are up higher than they previously were. I have had a lot of success with this method.