• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to taste...

I'm still learning too but the best advice I got was just to slow down and learn how to properly light and smoke a cigar (slowly is the key for me). I also like to do what PetersCreek is talking about . . . take a little in with the nostrils while drawing. So far, the tones I've found that are very easy to detect are what Peters wrote: sweet, sour, salty and bitter. Peppery spice, tea, cocoa, cream, nuts, earth and leather are some others that seem easy as well, at least to me. Once you get into cinnamon, honey, milder spices, grasses, herbs, etc. it is more difficult for me to ascertain with absolute certainty. Sometimes, it is obvious and other times I just get the sense that they are present because my mind conjures up thoughts of things like a cinnamon rolls, buttered toast, graham crackers, cracker jacks . . . you get the idea.

Good luck on your journey. I'm along for the ride as well and love it!!

Lee

I, for whatever reason, am incapable of exhaling through my nose, so I usually inhale a little after I puff through the nose to get the scents.

All good points raised. Most important to me is smoking slower. It allows the smoke to be a bit cooler. Also, a cigar that is too moist will loose much of it's more subtle flavors. Many folks, myself included, store at one RH and keep a small humi at a lower RH for the ready-to-smoke stuff. (Often called a dry box but that can be misleading.) I just keep some very dry beads in mine and it sits around 63%.