• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Howdy

hydro-terp

Been lurking for a few months and decided to register and say hi.

First off I want to send out a thank you to all here as Ive gotten a lot of good info during my lurking. Beads, retailers, humidor general knowledge etc.

I started a few years ago with H Upmann corono majors in tubes. Now my favorite list is topped by LGC wavell maduros, Partagas black label maximos, Onyx, HDM Ex No.1, and some AF's. I'm more of a $5 or less kind of guy. Robustos are my fav size also.

About a year and a half ago I got tired of having stuff dry up on me and bought a humi from Thompson. I got frustated with the humidification system it came with and lurked here and ended buying some 65% beads from Vern. Best money I ever spent. At some point I may add a coolidor for more capacity.

And for my first general info contribution....I was looking at Thompsons July catalog on the web (page 45) and I noticed they have a 3 pack of Xikar cutters for $65. They also list a two pack I believe for $50 where you can either get the regular cutter or the multi tool or a combo of the two. I know Thompson has a dubious rep but its still a pretty good deal on Xikar cutters.

I purchased Cigars for Idiots not long ago and it has a ratings form for sticks. I duped it into an Excel sheet. I keep a small three ring binder I like to call my little black book. It helps me keep straight my general opinion of sticks as I smoke them. If anyone would like it I'll e-mail it to them. Its kind of cool.

Thats pretty much it.

Russell

Welcome to CP from Texas. CP will become your latest and longest lasting addiction (just ask CC :laugh: ).

hydro-terp said:
Been lurking for a few months and decided to register and say hi.

First off I want to send out a thank you to all here as Ive gotten a lot of good info during my lurking. Beads, retailers, humidor general knowledge etc.

I started a few years ago with H Upmann corono majors in tubes. Now my favorite list is topped by LGC wavell maduros, Partagas black label maximos, Onyx, HDM Ex No.1, and some AF's. I'm more of a $5 or less kind of guy. Robustos are my fav size also.

About a year and a half ago I got tired of having stuff dry up on me and bought a humi from Thompson. I got frustated with the humidification system it came with and lurked here and ended buying some 65% beads from Vern. Best money I ever spent. At some point I may add a coolidor for more capacity.

And for my first general info contribution....I was looking at Thompsons July catalog on the web (page 45) and I noticed they have a 3 pack of Xikar cutters for $65. They also list a two pack I believe for $50 where you can either get the regular cutter or the multi tool or a combo of the two. I know Thompson has a dubious rep but its still a pretty good deal on Xikar cutters.

I purchased Cigars for Idiots not long ago and it has a ratings form for sticks. I duped it into an Excel sheet. I keep a small three ring binder I like to call my little black book. It helps me keep straight my general opinion of sticks as I smoke them. If anyone would like it I'll e-mail it to them. Its kind of cool.

Thats pretty much it.

Russell
[snapback]194941[/snapback]​

Welcome.

I think the Xikar cutter thing is a scam because if you believe XiKar one is all you will need in a lifetime.

I personally think that in the ling run 25 $2 cutters will serve you better than 2 $25 cutters but that's just me.

Welcome aboard brother!!! Great place you found here. Enjoy your stay! :thumbs:

And Lumby, I love my xikar!

Welcome from PA...only a mile from MD here.

Welcome aboard. My advice is not to waste your money on expensive cutters. Save it for a nice lighter. I prefer to use the cheap freebies that I get at the local cigar shop. They work just as well, and when the blade becomes dull just toss it and get another one. IMO, a good lighter is more important. :)

Beefcube said:
WELCOME TO CP !

Maryland...where the fugg is that ?? :whistling:
[snapback]194951[/snapback]​

OK OK I added my town to my profile. They'll surely locate me now. :cool:

Ive already have a blow torch of a lighter I got from Thompson when I bought my humi so Im covered there. Ive handled an Xikar (BTW how the hell is that pronounced anyway? I speak a little German but I havent a clue!) and they seem pretty sweet. Ive been getting by with one slighlty above the freebie grade.

hydro-terp said:
Ive handled an Xikar (BTW how the hell is that pronounced anyway? I speak a little German but I havent a clue!) and they seem pretty sweet. Ive been getting by with one slighlty above the freebie grade.

As far as I know it's pronounced ze-car (xikar). Anyone pronounce it differently? ???

Rod said:
Welcome aboard. My advice is not to waste your money on expensive cutters. Save it for a nice lighter. I prefer to use the cheap freebies that I get at the local cigar shop. They work just as well, and when the blade becomes dull just toss it and get another one. IMO, a good lighter is more important. :)
[snapback]194972[/snapback]​

For what it's worth, I whole-heartedly agree. Besides, bullet cutters are where it's at for me. I only use a blade when I have to. Bullet's keep the tip much neater so I am not having a wrapper snack at the same time.

Oh yeah . .and by the way.. Welcome! From Idaho!

Welcome aboard. I'd like to check out that Excel sheet. If you want, I can throw it up on my server so other's can download it as well.

Howdy back at ya! Just got a Xikar a little while ago and I love it. But we will see if I still like it in the long run.

Welcome. Terp I get, you being from Maryland. Hydro - only one thing comes to mind :)

Peekay said:
Howdy back at ya! Just got a Xikar a little while ago and I love it. But we will see if I still like it in the long run.
[snapback]195032[/snapback]​

Hello and Welcome from another nuub....

I was going to offer the same up as Peekay and look into a way to have those that wanted make new entries or add remarks to it. I have a script set up now that allows it for movies but that dbase is a little large for cigars. I am fairly sure I could import his Excell sheet and make a few minor changes to my scripting allowing us to keep the original intact, maybe have an exported for for personal use(based upon CP user name) and then have a group set as well.....

I have plenty of webspace/bandwidth to host something like this if anyone already had it setup....