• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo de Monterey Dark Sumatra Espresso

rbbrock

Reaction score
I stopped by my B&M, which is a liquorist/tobacconist, and damn fine at both, on the way home from work tonight, and picked up and smoked a Hoyo Dark Sumatra Espresso to smoke on the drive home. It was a wonderful smoke! I wanted to try it after reading some good reviews, but was a bit skeptical as I didn't like the standard Hoyo or the Excalibur I tried (both seemed a little plain to me, especially the Excalibur).

Well this little guy was a whole different story. I'd call it a solid medium body, with very rich but still smooth flavor. I couldn't concentrate on the cigar too hard seeing as I was driving, but I do remember picking up on lots of nice earthy flavors and intermittent tastes of coffee.

As far as appearance, the cigar looked great until I slid off the cedar wrap and noticed a large hole (roughly 1/4" in diameter) in the outer layer of the wrapper, but there was another layer of wrapper underneath. Also, the burn became about 1/2" - 3/4" uneven about an inch into the smoke, but managed to even itself out after an ashing and another 1/2" or so.

All in all, this was a wonderful little cigar, and for $2.50 per at CI (I think I paid $3.30 or so at the B&M) I may have to pick up a box.

One of my faves for a good inexpensive cigar with rich flavors.

Wilkey

Nice review.

Reminds me that I need to pick up another 5 or 10 of these... I haven't had any in quite a while but I really enjoy them.

My hand has floated over those several times in the local B&M. Next time I will grab a couple. Thanks for the review.

Seth

Also one of my favorites for something interesting without breaking the budget. I've had a couple of problem cigars (in about 25-30), but overall they are very good.