• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra

dead_man

I smoked a Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra, Espresso. 4.5 x 50. Not a bad cigar, picked it up for under $4.00. They call it full, but to me, it's more medium. Nice draw, even burn, nice taste and very smooth. Construction was great, no flaws that I could see. Taste stayed the same through most of the smoke, getting stronger in the last third. I don't think I'd buy a box, but I might keep a few on hand. I did have a bit of a light coffee flavor too it, but nothing strong.

P.S. Would go good with a cup of coffee, and I hope my review wasn't too bad.

Nice review there, dead. You did fine. I like these too and I would also consider them medium-ish in strength. Good rich flavors though.

Wilkey

Your review matched the cigar. Not a bad cigar and a decent value. They seem to be very popular right now as it's hard to get a deal on auction. I think it's odd that anyone thought these were full strength - closer to mild.

I like them enough to keep one or two around. The Noche has a little more complexity.

Have any of you noticed any draw problems related to the cedar wrapper? I have oh maybe ten of these - put five away and five in my "to smoke" humidor. After sitting for a month or two - I had one that seemed a little too "wet" where the cedar was. Same thing with the next one. I then removed the cedar from two and let them sit. Third one was much better. Seems to me the cedar is holding to much moisture under it. Could be me - I dunno.

Ron

Have any of you noticed any draw problems related to the cedar wrapper? I have oh maybe ten of these - put five away and five in my "to smoke" humidor. After sitting for a month or two - I had one that seemed a little too "wet" where the cedar was. Same thing with the next one. I then removed the cedar from two and let them sit. Third one was much better. Seems to me the cedar is holding to much moisture under it. Could be me - I dunno.

Ron

bought 5 from the B&M. I smoked all 5 inside of two weeks without any issues. Truely a nice smoke.

I'm a big fan of the HDM...the tobacco is consitently tasty, as the burn and draw, no matter what flavor or size. I'm particularly nuts about the Excalibur. That's one delicious cigar.

I always take the cedar off my cigars before I put them away, always take cello off to, but that's just the way I like to do it.

Sparked one of these up last night. While the flavors were pretty good and the richness was definitely there, I had a big problem getting any smoke out of the little bugger (espresso vitola).

It seemed like about 1/3 of the way in it just stopped producing smoke. The cigar was VERY soft in construction after that point and just did not produce anything.

This cigar had been kept at 64-67% humidity and temps in the mid 60s since November of last year. Maybe I just got a dud that contained about half of the tobacco it should have?

Could the cool, humid night air have had anything to do with this?

I'll try another as the first one I had was good, but this was just weird.

Wow, suprised to hear that Alan. I had my first just a couple of days ago and one of my favorite characteristics of it was the amount of smoke this little guy put out. My second was just the same.

Liked them so much I got a few more inbound.

Nice review there, dead. You did fine. I like these too and I would also consider them medium-ish in strength. Good rich flavors though.

Wilkey

Damn Wilkey, how many different cigars have you tried?

I was surprised too. The first one I had was consistent with the other reviews. Maybe I just got one from a lazy roller or got one at the end of a tobacco batch they were trying to stretch :) . It also could have been the night air, I suppose, but I don't know enough about it to know if that could cause something like that.

I'll be giving them another go, I was just very disappointed in this one.

Wow, suprised to hear that Alan. I had my first just a couple of days ago and one of my favorite characteristics of it was the amount of smoke this little guy put out. My second was just the same.

Liked them so much I got a few more inbound.

Excellent review,thank you.
You are spot on,I love these medium-full beauties.I always have at least a 5r in the humi.

Yes,high humid weather can turn a smokeing session outdoors into a bad session.
The gars smoke slower and tend to burn uneven at times.I keep my cigars in a 68degree enviroment and try to light up quickly,some cigars I found if sitting outside in humidity for a few hours,they adjust a tad to it and burn better,not all though.The gars that are on the dryer side smoke better under high humid days.

Ron

I always take the cedar off my cigars before I smoke them.... :rolleyes: That might help some :laugh:

I think your review is dead on. These are among my "go to" cigars. Nice overall stick for the price.

I tried about 2-3 of these and have to agree with your review... Although my smokes were not wet... ;)

Had another one of these last night (#3). It was consistent with the first one I had (before the problem), very good.

It's strange because everything was almost exactly the same conditions-wise as Monday night. It was 52 degrees with a light fog in the air at about 11:00PM. This is 2 degrees warmer than it was the other night with the same humidity, so I'm calling it the same conditions. This cigar was stored in the same place as the other for the same amount of time. This cigar did not have any trouble producing smoke and never got spongy. I think the last one I had was just poorly constructed or something.

Anyway, these go back on my list and I just hope I don't get any more like the second one I had.

I smoked an Espresso last night at a work-BBQ and was raelly blown away. It wasn't the ideal setting to "review" a cigar, but I really enjoyed smoking it down way into the last 1/3.

The little guy produced copious amounts of thick smoke and the coffee and even chocolate notes were fairly pronounced.

It reminded me of a well-aged LGC Wavel Maduro. I'll certainly be picking up a few more of these!