• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No.2

pulse746

Here is my first attempt at reviewing a cigar.

Inital Impressions:

The HDM band is by far my favorite band, I love the way it looks, just simple and awesome.

This is the first HDM no.2 I have ever had and it has been sitting in my humidor for just over a year. The first thing I noticed was how light this cigar was, it weighed next to nothing. I used a puch cutter and the cold draw was effortless, almost no resistance.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12628]

First Half:
Talk about creamy! The first few puffs yielded nice big clouds of smoke and it was so creamy it literally felt like there was no smoke in my mouth. I was getting nice mild woody /earthy tobacco flavors as well as florally notes on the retrohale. The ash held on like champ for the entire first half of the cigar. Really enjoying it so far and I can see why people who enjoy milder cigars love these.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12630]

Last Half:

Unfortunately, the light weight and open draw lead me to believe I have an underfilled cigar. It is starting to burn very hot (I was not smoking fast) and was quite soft/spongy before I even lit it up (Kept in humidor at 68% so softness and weight not due to that). I was, in all honesty, getting the same flavors as the first half, woody, florally, just with a tad of bitterness starting to show through. Unfortunately, the bitterness got more powerful the farther I smoke it down. The burn was also good, just required a few touch ups here and there.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12632]

Conclusion:

I wanted to love this cigar, I really did, but the underfilling sort of ruined the second half for me. It was an extremely enjoyable smoke the first half, something I would certainly smoke again, just the roll quality with these cc's is a hit or miss.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12631]

Thanks for the review.  Never tried one of these but I do have one waiting its turn for the fire.

Great review. I love this cigar too so hopefully the next one is much better.

Too bad you got a bad one.  I've gone through a few cabs of those and they have been fantastic, very consistent.  The '14's are smoking quite well for a young stick.

BlindedByScience said:
Too bad you got a bad one.  I've gone through a few cabs of those and they have been fantastic, very consistent.  The '14's are smoking quite well for a young stick.

I plan on giving these a second chance, the first half was great! Looking forward to getting another. Plus I couldn't stop staring at the band!

This is why it is very important to trust your source and select your source carefully. Some vendors care a little more about what goes out to their customers.

CMontoya79 said:
This is why it is very important to trust your source and select your source carefully. Some vendors care a little more about what goes out to their customers.
Very valid point.

This was actually purchased in person at a shop. The lesson learned is to pay more attention to the sticks I'm picking out.

Nice review. I'm sorry to hear about that second half. Hope your next one is much more enjoyable :)