• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyos...

Matty_Vegas

Wayne Newton Mafia Boss
I smoked my First Hoyo of a larger vitola a few weeks back. I have heard the flavour profile was rather "Interesting" not much of a fan at all. Kinda nasty actually, and these had a bit of Age on them as well (I believe they were from 2000). I had a smaller Hoyo a while back (From 03...de dupute)and it was nice. Any of the medium to large vitolas were pretty nasty. Am I going crazy does anyone else notice a HUGE change in the profiles?

edited to make more sense
bad on the names of the Vitolas...

Which Hoyo? What year? You smoked something a few weeks ago and another a "while back?"

What do you mean by "going crazy?" The profile? The differences by vitola?

Matty, don't get me wrong but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying or even what you're asking if in fact you are asking something.

Wilkey

I've had a box of HDM Epi 2's that I believe were from 06, fantastic smokes (aint that right Don ;) ). Also had some of the petit robustos that were very good from an early 07 box. I've liked what I've had so far...

So far I've had a few Epi. #2's from '05 or '06 and a Regalos LE. I thought each was fantastic. I'm kind of limited in my exposure to this marca at present, but I've thoroughly enjoyed everything I've had so far.

I smoked my First Hoyo of a larger vitola a few weeks back. I have heard the flavour profile was rather "Interesting" not much of a fan at all. Kinda nasty actually, and these had a bit of Age on them as well (I believe they were from 2000). I had a smaller Hoyo a while back (From 03...de dupute)and it was nice. Any of the medium to large vitolas were pretty nasty. Am I going crazy does anyone else notice a HUGE change in the profiles?

edited to make more sense
bad on the names of the Vitolas...

If you remember the Vitola maybe I will take a few off your hands. I have liked all the HdM's I have smoked.

I'm smoking out of an aged box of Epicure #1 and an aged box of du Depute.

I enjoy both this cigars.

Brian

I'm not a big fan of the regular HDM line in general, although I have had some excellent DC's with and without age. The regular line is too "sweet" and not strong enough for my taste. I find that both the Punch and HDM lines are similar in regards that they both predominately feature a sweet, woody core flavor profile. However, Punch has more woodiness than sweetness, while HDM is the opposite, imo.

The le hoyo line is much better imo. It is much stronger and is more complex than the regular line and also ages better. I have not smoked enough of the Epicures to form a solid opinion, but its not something I will probably go out and purchase.

I have to say that HdM is probably my favorite marca as a whole. I have enjoyed the Le Hoyo line with age and some PRs, etc young, and they have all been excellent. HdM will not knock you over with nicotine, which is a quality I highly value.

I've mostly tried the Epi 2's and PR's and I've never been disappointed. I've never smoked the famous DC, but I've had a couple of the Churchill's and they were excellent. Both were mild to medium bodied, but very complex and flavorful.

Hoyo DC are now too long of a smoke for me, however Petit Robo, Epi 2, and the Hoyo Du Prince are the s*it.
I gotta say I agree on the PR. When these were initially introduced, I hated these things because of their stunted shape and perverse aspect ratio. But the more I try, the more I appreciate the flavor delivery in the compact form factor. The NC NUB cigars seem to have pushed the concept just over the ludicrous line though.

Wilkey

I'm a Hoyo Petit Robusto whore...I absolutely love them...not too much luck with the DC's though. Epi 2 is very solid too.

I've very much so enjoyed the Epi #1, was gifted one with some age "99" and enjoyed them with a little over a year on them also. I've had a few DC's while I like the flavor profile it's just a whole lot of cigar. I'm a fan.

Brian

I'm not a big fan of the regular HDM line in general, although I have had some excellent DC's with and without age. The regular line is too "sweet" and not strong enough for my taste. I find that both the Punch and HDM lines are similar in regards that they both predominately feature a sweet, woody core flavor profile. However, Punch has more woodiness than sweetness, while HDM is the opposite, imo.

I think Mike nails it here, and is one of the reasons I really like the HdM's. I've had some aged DC's that really knock me out, but they have a sweet, not peppery, profile. Additionally, the Epi 2's are one of my favorites, but really need some time, 4 or 5 years.