• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Huge disappointment

statelandman

It was with great anticipation that I put the torch to my very first ISOM a couple of nights ago.
It was a Vegas Robaina in what I would describe as a toro size - about 5.5" by about 48 ring.
At first taste, I thought there must be some kind of mistake. I got a rush of sour flavor that can only be described as reminiscent of drinking orange juice that had gone bad. :( :( :( :(
I kept with it for awhile, thinking it might go away, but it never did. After only about an inch and a half, I put it down for the last time. Had to fire up an Onyx Reserve just to get the bad aftertaste out of my mouth.
Talk about disappointment. Is this taste characteristic of ISOM's? If so, I think I'll stick with domestics.

P.S. If you remember my post from a couple of weeks ago, this was the cigar that had a streak of lime green highlighters ink running down one side of the wrapper. But I never made it down to the ink-stained part of the wrapper, so I can't blame tne sour taste on that.

NO

AND PLEASE DON"T TAKE THAT AS A GOOD ISOM

Lets do a trade!

Pm me if you want to!

I have got your ISOM RIGHT HERE!!! :0 ;)

Hey Phil,

If I send you a preburnt cee-gar with a green stripe on it, will you send me an ISOM too?????? :p

Geez, I'll even let you pick the color of the darn Sharpie!

All joking aside, sounds like you need to take Phil up on his offer Statelandman! From what I hear, Phil has a nice selection, sans stripes no less!

Sounds like you had a bad one. I've had a few. I had a PSD4 that I would have described very similarly. Fortunately in my experience these are the exception. Try a few more and you will not be disappointed. I'm not sure if some brands are considered more consistent then others but here are a few that I've never had a bad one from:

Cohiba
Montecristo
Sancho Panza
Punch

Try any of these and I doubt you'll have a bad experience again :)

Yeah, you got a bad one there bro - those are some really good cigars actually. Please give them another shot you won;t be disappointed.

Sam

JOE.M. said:
Phil said:
I have got your ISOM RIGHT HERE!!! :0 ;)
Must be a PC! :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign:
U must have a case of Phat fingers today,

Cause I know U meant to say DC!!!! :0

:thumbs:

:sign: :sign: :p

I believe those are the Famosos you're describing.....I smoke those on a regular basis, and I've never encountered that problem. They've always been really creamy from the get-go. The fumes from that ink stain may have caused an imperfection in the cigar. As you know, cigars absorb every odor. Give them another chance! :thumbs:

statelandman said:
P.S. If you remember my post from a couple of weeks ago, this was the cigar that had a streak of lime green highlighters ink running down one side of the wrapper. But I never made it down to the ink-stained part of the wrapper, so I can't blame tne sour taste on that.
Sure you can blame it on that. Do you *know* that was a highlighter marking and not some kind of rot? :)

You have to blame it on that, because those cigars are pretty damn good.

lucasbuck said:
Sounds like you had a bad one. I've had a few. I had a PSD4 that I would have described very similarly. Fortunately in my experience these are the exception. Try a few more and you will not be disappointed. I'm not sure if some brands are considered more consistent then others but here are a few that I've never had a bad one from:

Cohiba
Montecristo
Sancho Panza
Punch

Try any of these and I doubt you'll have a bad experience again :)
What Craig said. Add Partags to the list. :thumbs:

It seems like something that frequently happens with ISOMs... inconsistency. ??? More so than with anything else do I hear the advice "try another, it'll be better." Although many domestics are one-dimensional and boring, so to speak... many of the better ones exhibit qualities you'd expect from a good ISOM. I'd probably take an AF Hemmie/DC or any AVO before I take an ISOM. Just another opinion by teh fish. :)

vewyphishy said:
It seems like something that frequently happens with ISOMs... inconsistency. ??? More so than with anything else do I hear the advice "try another, it'll be better." Although many domestics are one-dimensional and boring, so to speak... many of the better ones exhibit qualities you'd expect from a good ISOM. I'd probably take an AF Hemmie/DC or any AVO before I take an ISOM. Just another opinion by teh fish. :)
There are some ISOMs that I love. There are some that I haven't liked at all. Same with domestics. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the whole 'myth' that goes with ISOMs.

Main point: A good cigar is a good cigar, period.

vewyphishy said:
Yet another poor soul that's never had a nice aged CoRo or Monte #2 :( :( :(

:p :D

I'm new to the world of ISOMs but I can guarantee you got a bad one, or just one that didn't fit your tastes. I've had some really cheap ISOMs over the past couple of weeks that blew the doors off the best domestics.

I also have had a couple of the more renouned ISOMs that I found bland and unworthy of my evening smoke. I buried those in my humidor and will try them again in a few months after they pick up some more age.

Don't give up on the VR line based on this one experience. IMO the VR is one of the best lines out there. The Don Alejandro and Unicos are at the top of their respective classes!!!

:thumbs: :)

It was either stored incorrectly at some point, was in it's "sick" period or a fake. Havanas have inconsistencies, but bad taste is usually one of the above results.

A fellow CPasser gifted me a VR Famosos and I thought it was fantastic. Now, you all know I LOVE the big boys (Churchills & DC's) so I've been dying to get my hands on some Don Alejandros. Hopefully they'll be my next Havana box purchase ;)

Now that I think about it, where's my credit card?

i've had a partagas series d robusto and a cohiba robust that i was kind of disappointed in.

then again, i've only tried one.

you know what else is a huge disappointment?
hookers. :D

thejollyco said:
you know what else is a huge disappointment?
hookers. :D
:0 Have you ever gotten one and found out??

I'll bet there are a few who can knock your socks off! :p :p :p