• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidifier Mold?

fetterjohn

Non-active but active and lurking!
Now...I don't want the standard answer of "Buy beads." I just want to know how many people have ever had mold grow on a new foam humidifier? I used a 50/50 mix of PPG and distilled water. It was a brand new humidor that I got and prepped. But after 2 weeks there was mold on the humidifier. The RH was 69% and it was seasoned nice and slow. The cigars are fine...now mold on them. Any reason why it would grow mold? Thanks for the suggestions in advanced.

-Fetter

Where was the mold on the cigars or humi? 2nd, calibrate your hydrometer. I had the same setup before 2 digital hydrometers and oasis foam or floral foam. I thought that i had control even when there was a little mold growing on the cedar inside the humi. Well i didn't calibrate and found out that both hydrometers were off by 20%. Ya 20% can you belive that. So i know you don't want to hear this but if you buy the beads then you don't even have to use a hygrometer.
Mr Smoker

Where was the mold on the cigars or humi? 2nd, calibrate your hydrometer. I had the same setup before 2 digital hydrometers and oasis foam or floral foam. I thought that i had control even when there was a little mold growing on the cedar inside the humi. Well i didn't calibrate and found out that both hydrometers were off by 20%. Ya 20% can you belive that. So i know you don't want to hear this but if you buy the beads then you don't even have to use a hygrometer.
Mr Smoker

It's a digital hygrometer that I have had for 3 years and it's spot on perfect. The mold is growing from the foam in the humidifier...it's a brand new humidor with the humidifier that it came with. I just want to know what could have caused the mold. The RH was 69% and the cigars are all fine...just white-ish mold coming out of the humidifier.

Yes I have had that happen to me and the reason I still am not sure of. I have had humidifiers that have bad luck. Best thing to do is throw them away and get a new one if beads are not the option.

I had it happen to me also... Humidity was 70% +/- everything looked fine. I noticed the mold before my cigars did.

When this happened I was expecting beads in the mail. When the beads arrived the sponge got chucked. I have never had a problem with the beads.

I just checked mine to refill them and the exact same thing was happening. :angry2:

I just checked mine to refill them and the exact same thing was happening. :angry2:

I wonder if it could be from bad PPG solution or "old" water? Does PPG go bad / expire?

Fetter

As far as I know PG doesn't go bad. Mold is not really that rare of a thing and it only takes one spore to get a colony started on a moist surface. I've heard of some people using a drop or two of grain alcohol in their humidifiers to ward off mold, but I don't have any personal experience with this.

Looks like you've got beads coming, so hopefully your worries will soon be over.

Good luck!