• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidifying Cigars

DanLAXX1

What do you guys suggest about humidifying cigars? Is it ok to take them out of the metal case or celophane? Just curious. I have them in the humidor the way I got them (in the metal case & celophane) and was just wondering if it was alright to take them out. Any response would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance
-Dan

It sorta depends on how much travelling/trading/gifting/passing that you do. The smokes that I plan on consuming myself come out of the cello. If I get a box purchase, I'll leave a few in the cello for any possible transactions. Ditto for smokes that I might transfer back and forth to my Traveldor. But I think that cigars age better outside of the cello or tubes that some come in, with the exception being those cedar sheaths that some are in.

Another consideration is how fast you want your cigars to age. A cigar sitting in a humi for a year without the cellophane will age more than a cigar sitting in same humi for one year with cellophane. From what I understand, the difference isn't all that much. As for tubos, well, according to the cigar companies, if you don't break the seal, they'll hold their humidity. Don't know how accurate that is. But what it comes down to is, as long as you keep your cigars properly humidified, it really doesn't matter.

Age old question. Cello on or off. Twenty people, 20 solutions. Me, I put them in the humidor as I get them. They don't stick around long enough, for the most part, to worry/think about long term aging. At least for me. I have some sticks, sans cello, I've had a couple years and I am sure they will be tasty. I've not had the pleasure of too many box purchases, yet, and the ones I have made have been in the box both ways, cello and without.So ask 20 people and it will still be your call... Cello or not to cello....that IS the question.2 cents - JerryG

JerryG is right on that one...and here is my opinion:) I always take off the cello. I think the cigar gets better humidification if more than just the foot is exposed. JMO.

Won't hurt to leave the cello on, but might hinder the aging process. Though for the most part non-Havanas are ready to smoke when you get them and don't really age to their benefit and hand rolled Havanas don't come with cello.
I've got Opus I leave the cello on, but other than those I take it off or get rid of them asap.

The only cigars that I remove the cello from are the ones that I plan on keeping for myself or to hand out in person. If there is even a possibility of trading it than I leave the cello on.

I keep the celo off. I like the way they smoke and age that way. If I am traveling, I may leave the cello's on to keep the cigars better.

The display humi in my office has a top shelf with the glass veiwing window, where I keep the best of everything I can find.
All the celos are removed on each stick stored in the office.
The humi at the house they all have the celos on them.
So, I do both.

I've never really bought into the marrying thing. With the exception of LONG (many years) term storage, and flavored cigars.

In the past I thought I might try and "enhance" poor tasting cigars by letting them nestle up to better ones without cello of course. Don't really remember it working. If I buy a box of cello wrapped sticks I usually leave it on but singles I unwrap and store with no particular method.