• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidity heartfelt beads problem.

Bangers 'n Mash

Hello all, I have 2 large 65% heartfelt tubes in my humidor. For some reason I am having a hard time keeping it to or around the 65%. Any thoughts??? Help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Simon

First, make darn sure your hygro is calibrated or at least, salt tested so you know that it is accurate, or at least know what the delta is (i.e, it reads 3% high, etc.).  Don't do anything else until you have a way to accurately measure the RH in your humidor.

This works everytime for dry humidors, and will condition the beads to boot:

- Visit the grocery store and buy the following
   - New synthetic sponge
   - Gal of distilled water.  Not filtered, not drinking....distilled.
   - Shallow saucer or plate.  I like the ones that you can buy to put potted plants on.
   - Whole thing should cost less than $5.00
- Cut the sponge into a size that fits flat in the saucer or plate you bought.
- Moisten the sponge until it's soft, not dripping with the distilled water.  Put it in the saucer.
- Add maybe a tablespoon or two of distilled water over the top of the sponge.
- Put it in the humidor with your beads and leave it alone for a day.
- Start checking the humidity every 24 hours or so.  I like to let them go until the RH is a little over the set point for the beads.  Say 67%-ish....might take a day or three.
- You can add a tablespoon of distilled water every 24 hours or so if you want, but do NOT let things get so wet you see standing water in the dish the sponge is in.
- Remove the water.  You should be good to go from that point on.

Good luck - B.B.S.

Thanks I did the same thing but with a shot glass of distilled water not a sponge. I give it a shot.
Thanks B.B.S.

B&M

After some research and lurking I couldn't quite find an answer and found this post to be the closest thing even though it still doesn't resolve my issues.

I have the Small rectangle 65% HF beads,good for 1080 cubic inch humi (my humi is a 832 cubic inch) in a Savoy 100 count. I have had a hard time keeping humidity in the 65% range (usually drops below 60%) and I'm rehydrating the beads every 1-2 weeks (which seems like a lot to me).
Hygrometer has been calibrated using the boveda calibration kit and as far as I can tell my humi has a good seal. 

I have 3 questions
  1. Do I order the large rectangle 65% and chalk it up to needing more power?
  2. Do I order the 70% to account for the 5% swing?
  3. Do I dig a little further into the possibility that my humi may just have a seal issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. To try and correct the seal issue (and for the added bonus of enjoyment) I may have to re-read that infamous "BC" topic and find what kind of wax someone suggested to "BC"

If Tom's sage advice doesn't allow maitaining that humidity then look at the beads. How thick are the beads? Over one inch is very ineffective. You want as much surface area of beads exposed as possible. The added plus is that you can get a better visual on what percentage are saturated. This is imperative.

1-2 weeks is normal, do you have a lot of empty space in your humidor? If so fill it with cigars or large peices of floral foam In a container or beads in a container. Do you have a glass top? Is it exposed to high heat/sunlight? Is the seal tight? Do the dollar bill test in the lid. ( look it up).

MadMonk said:
If Tom's sage advice doesn't allow maitaining that humidity then look at the beads. How thick are the beads? Over one inch is very ineffective. You want as much surface area of beads exposed as possible. The added plus is that you can get a better visual on what percentage are saturated. This is imperative.
Per the HF site its 6 1/2" by 2 1/2" by 1/2" thick, so I can tell when they've dried up (which i let get about 75% dry before I hit it again with distilled water).

CMontoya79 said:
1-2 weeks is normal, do you have a lot of empty space in your humidor? If so fill it with cigars or large peices of floral foam In a container or beads in a container. Do you have a glass top? Is it exposed to high heat/sunlight? Is the seal tight? Do the dollar bill test in the lid. ( look it up).
I do have a lot of space (relatively speaking as it's only a 100ct) so I'll definitely take your advice and try to find some floral foam to fill it up. I would have never thought that too much empty space would cause a humidity issue. 

The first thing I'd check is the hygrometer.  If it's digital and you've had it for awhile, replace the battery first; then either salt-test or use a Boveda 75% pack (which will give the same result as a salt test).  Either way, the hygrometer should read 75% after eight hours or longer sealed into a small airtight container with the damp salt or Boveda.

I generally calibrate a second time, using a Boveda pack at my preferred humidor RH (65%); but that's optional.

Assuming the hygrometer is accurate, the most likely culprit is the ambient relative humidity in your home.  Wood is porous, and any wooden humidor that isn't sealed (with polyurethane varnish or something similar) will surrender moisture to drier air surrounding it.  I have that problem in winter even though the ambient RH in my home hovers in the mid-thirties most of the time.  Be sure that the humidor is not in the path of the extremely dry warm air coming from your furnace; in most homes the best location is actually in or near the kitchen, where steam from cooking adds moisture to the air.

If the RH inside the humidor is very low (for me, anything below 60% even with the recommended amount of beads), you might want to re-season the humidor.  Be sure to get the RH higher than normal and keep it there for a few days to allow the Spanish cedar lining to absorb all the moisture it needs.  (Store the cigars themselves elsewhere during humidor seasoning.  A simple tupperdor will do, or even one or more ziplock bags.  Move a container of beads into the cigars' temporary residence, since a dry humidor no doubt means the cigars are dry too.)

Don't forget to check the humidor lid's seal both before and after reseasoning (if reseasoning is indicated).  Dry wood shrinks, and that includes the lip that provides the seal.  If a paper (dollar-bill) test indicates a leak anywhere around the lid, try covering the lip all the way around with a layer of blue painter's tape; do not use ordinary masking tape, because the stronger adhesive may raise splinters if/when you need to remove and replace the tape.  Use a sharp knife or razor blade to trim the tape neatly into the corners, so you don't have a double-layer there that might interfere with properly closing/sealing the humidor.  This is a simple way to save a wooden humidor with a seal that has shrunk.

To keep the RH higher during winter, just toss a 60-gram Boveda pack or two (rated for whatever RH you prefer, or even slightly higher) into the humidor; they'll provide extra moisture to keep the wooden humidor itself from drying out again too quickly.  A longer-term solution is to add more beads and fill up that empty space with more cigars.  The cigars will help to buffer the RH inside the humidor ... and of course you can smoke them!

But don't be surprised if you have to replace/recharge the Bovedas (and remoisten the beads) at least once before winter ends.  

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: Don't open the humidor any more often, or for any longer, than necessary.  I like to transfer a few cigars at a time to a plastic-box traveldor with a known-good seal and its own humidification device, then leave my desktop humidors closed until I need to refill the traveldor.  (A 10- or 15-stick traveldor allows enough variety to choose something to fit my mood.)  From the traveldor I sometimes transfer a couple of cigars at a time to a three-finger case (with a Drymistat tube in the center position) so I don't have to open the traveldor as often.  (In truth I take out three sticks from the traveldor, put two into the case and smoke the third one immediately.  Three cigars are usually enough to keep me happy for a day.)

You may need to repeat the reseasoning and/or add extra humidification again next winter ... or anytime the ambient RH is especially low.

You asked about switching to the 70% beads.  I wouldn't do that if you prefer 65% RH and if the low humidity is just a seasonal problem.  More beads are always good, of course; even when the humidor is running well, the extra beads will simply help it recover more quickly after you open it or add cigars that are either too dry or too moist.  

Incidentally, according to David at Heartfelt Industries, using beads of two different RH "ratings" (such as 65% and 70%) is not a good idea.  He explained that the lower-RH beads won't accomplish anything except possibly drying out the higher-RH beads a bit more quickly; once the higher-RH beads lose their moisture, the RH in the humidor will drop to the lower RH, and that could happen quickly if the humidor has a problem holding moisture.  Naturally the same would happen if you used 69%, 72% or even 75% Boveda packs to raise the RH, but the Bovedas are ideal as a temporary source of extra moisture while the beads are more "permanent" ... and more expensive.  if you keep close watch on the Bovedas you can replace or recharge them to provide primary moisture while the beads serve as a backup during dry weather.  After the need for extra humidification ends, you can keep the Bovedas in a sealed ziplock freezer bag until they're needed again, with the beads serving to provide all the moisture your humidor should need. 

Did the dollar bill test and while it doesn't slide right out it does pull out without feeling like it had a chance of tearing the bill and I've read it should be difficult-impossible to pull out of the lid/lip. So I am guessing I have a slight seal problem. Unsure if thats always like that or if because the humidity has been getting so low the wood is no longer as expanded as it may have been or should be. I will do the blue painters tape as suggested and hope the seal is a seasonal issue.

Thank you folks for all the help!

When relative humidity in a humidor drops this time of year, it's seldom a fault of the humidor's construction.  The three most likely causes, in no particular order, are: 1) the pretty wooden box and the interior (Spanish cedar) lining are drying out because the ambient air in your home is itself very dry, which means the humidor itself is robbing the micro-climate inside of moisture; 2) that dry air displaces the moist air inside the humidor every time you open it, and you're probably opening it more often than usual so you can check the hygrometer inside, which just makes things worse; and 3) the hygrometer itself is giving an inaccurate reading.

Like most of us I'm fighting the low-humidity battle.  I've located my humidors on a counter between my apartment's kitchen and living room, which is usually the highest-humidity spot in the place.  Right now I am cooking a pot roast in the slow-cooker and have a pot of coffee going; both add some much-needed moisture to the air around the humidors.  I've filled the desktops to reduce empty air-space inside (cigars themselves are wonderful humidity buffers), and added Bovedas to supplement the beads; I have noticed that the beads are starting to dry out, less than two weeks after I watered them until all were clear-looking, so they're doing all they can.  More cigars are on the way, and when they arrive I'll move some of my more precious sticks into traveldors with known-good seals.  I may also place another order for beads now, rather than waiting until I make a coolerdor, and put them in the desktops for the balance of winter.

Now one of the fifty-count desktops that has been fine for years is leaking around the edges, definitely a dry, shrunken lip wrecking the seal.  (I hope that's all that's wrong!)  I'll buy some blue painter's tape and fix it Real Soon Now.  For the moment I'm using an additional Boveda pack to keep the RH up, and stacking another humidor on top of the bad one to weight the lid down; it's working fairly well, and I'll stay out of that humidor as much as possible until I can tape it.

You can contact heartfelt about recalibration the beads.
There should be something here too.

Sounds like a seasonal mood disorder.

I understand that Heartfelt beads never wear out or go bad as long as you follow the instructions for hydrating; but if you have any doubts about your beads, test a sample -- like calibrating a hygrometer, but in reverse.

I used the blue painters tape and it's worked well, maybe too well. My humidor has been up to 70-71rh with the 65% beads in it. I'm thinking I may order a boveda calibration kit, put a fresh battery in and test my hygrometer make sure that's reading true still.
For now I'm going to just leave it alone with the exception of tomorrow when a 10 pack arrives and I put them in. My hope is that once I put those sticks they will soak up some of that extra humidity and help stabilize the humidor.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

WindingDown said:
I used the blue painters tape and it's worked well, maybe too well. 
Working "too well" sounds like a very nice problem to have!  Wish my desktop humidors maintained humidity that well during this cold, dry winter we're experiencing in Tennessee.

CamoSutra said:
I used the blue painters tape and it's worked well, maybe too well.
Working "too well" sounds like a very nice problem to have!  Wish my desktop humidors maintained humidity that well during this cold, dry winter we're experiencing in Tennessee.
Honestly I'm going to have to buy a new hygrometer battery and calibrate. It doesn't look like the beads have lost much moisture yet it's gone from 70-71 down to 50. I try not to stress about the humidity but dang, with swings like that how can one not?

While I don't have enough cigars or the money to build and fill a coolidor, I certainly have enough to buy some Tupperware and use it as a tupperdor until I figure out wtf is going on with my humi. Like grateful1 said it's probably a seasonal mood disorder. With the cold and the heat running it's very dry round here

Think I've figured it out so I wanted to update everyone that's offered their knowledge.

I calibrated the hygrometer and it's still right on. I think I had a misreading because I (intentionally) over-saturated my beads because of how low it was reading and how fast it dries out. The misreading most likely came because my hygrometer and beads attach to the lid of the humidor and are therefore right next to each other, so the over saturation of the beads and proximity of my humidification device probably caused the false 71% humidity reading.

I put a shot glass of distilled water in my humidor and it's seemed to have helped everything even out. It's now reading at 65% so my beads are working right and things seemed to have returned to where it should be.

Thank you to all those who have helped me get through my first seasonal mood disorder!