• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidity issue with wine-o-dor.

B.HOBS

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
HELP!! Not really that serious, but concerning nonetheless.

I think everyone has seen my post on my new Wine-o-Dor Project.

I'm running a 1/2lb. of 70%beads(twice the recommended amount) in small trays on the bottom, middle, and top shelves, evenly distributed. Seasoned for a full week.
The problem now is maintaining the humidity at the top of the unit. At points it can differ up to 8%(58-62% as compared to 66-69%) from the bottom. The common answer to this is to install a fan to circulate air. I have installed a custom fan unit at the bottom, which circulates air constantly. I rigged a computer fan to a switchable 12v power supply, and the fan is running at the 4.5 volt setting. Not a ton of airflow, but enough. The only problem with this setup is I don't know if its doing any good to circulate the air, and its drying my beads too quickly! I have a small bowl of distilled in the bottom now to evaporate into the humidor. This is starting to frustrate me.

1: I don't have many cigars in there now. Would this be a huge factor in maintaining steady, even RH?
2: I am considering buying the Johnson A419 Thermo controller to boost up the operating temp of the unit from 66 to 70, so that it runs less and also helping lessen condensation from the peltier, which I'm guessing condenses a lot of the humidity out of the unit. I think this would help humidity as well, i.e. higher temps = easier to maintain higher RH.
3: Should I have more beads on top or bottom? Do I need more beads then I have?
4: Good idea putting the fan on a 15min. interval timer??
5: Any other suggestion as to solving this problem?

Thanks for your help everyone.

~Billy

I hear you on the issue if being frustrated.... I had a hell of a time trying to get my first one sorted out.

But, after much trial, error and trusting in science I have the unit running pretty good.

Re: The problem of high variance in RH from top to bottom -

I solved this by more fully stocking the fridge (with cigars in cigar boxes) and also opting for closer to a full pound of beads rather than a half pound. The extra spanish cedar from having more cigar boxes in the fridge helps to buffer the swings and variance. I would have used sheets of spanish cedar as shelving but was unable to source any.

I also raised the temp setting to about 67 degrees because having it set to low has the unit cycling on and off to often during the summer months. The on/off cycling really effects the humidity as well... even with thermoelectric units. Having the lowest temp variance (while obtaining an ideal internal temp) between outside and inside is what I was trying to achieve.

I hear you on the issue if being frustrated.... I had a hell of a time trying to get my first one sorted out.

But, after much trial, error and trusting in science I have the unit running pretty good.

Re: The problem of high variance in RH from top to bottom -

I solved this by more fully stocking the fridge (with cigars in cigar boxes) and also opting for closer to a full pound of beads rather than a half pound. The extra spanish cedar from having more cigar boxes in the fridge helps to buffer the swings and variance. I would have used sheets of spanish cedar as shelving but was unable to source any.

I also raised the temp setting to about 67 degrees because having it set to low has the unit cycling on and off to often during the summer months. The on/off cycling really effects the humidity as well... even with thermoelectric units. Having the lowest temp variance (while obtaining an ideal internal temp) between outside and inside is what I was trying to achieve.

x2 and I'll add:

I also run a PC fan (33cfm-not alot) and I found that I have to run it almost all the time to maintain. Now I run it at 3 hours on, half hour off. Seems to help. Plus my wino is full.

Sorry you're running into troubles, but I am interested to see what happens with this issue. Any updates since yesterday?

Well, this past night I turned the sucker off but left the fan running. The temp this morning was 71 degrees, and the humidity is at 72% on top and a little higher on the bottom. I think I may just get the Johnson control to boost the temp up, so it isn't so cold in the unit. I think the unit cycling so much is having a huge effect on the stability just like Autonomy said. I will probably get a half pound more beads just to be on the safe side.

Thanks guys. If anyone has more input, I'd love it.

~Billy