• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HUmidity issue

Yojimbo

Brutish Nubber
So I've just moved into a new house, about 6 miles from where I used to live.

In the last place, I couldn't get my humi above 65% RH. In the new place, within about 6 days, I was getting uncomfortably close to 80%. I removed part of mu humidification, and didn't see a significant decrease. In the end, I had to remove my humidification all together to get back below 70, and at this time, have JUST a water pillow in the humi, and I'm just a hair above 70%.

I know the answer is some beads, and am ordering them this weekend. But I'm curious as to why this happened. The altitude didn't change, and we keep this house the same temp we kept the old one. It's getting colder here, but that usually causes a decrease in RH, not a jump. All in all, not alot of the conditions changed, aside from the actual house.

Any ideas?

Is the ambient RH in your new house any different than your old one? I would think a higher RH in your new house would make your humi's act up. Maybe I'm wrong tho...

Derek

What is the humidity level inside the house? What are you using for a hygrometer? The logical guesses are the humidity is higher in the new house or your hygrometer needs to be re calibrated.

- Rick

So I've just moved into a new house, about 6 miles from where I used to live.

In the last place, I couldn't get my humi above 65% RH. In the new place, within about 6 days, I was getting uncomfortably close to 80%. I removed part of mu humidification, and didn't see a significant decrease. In the end, I had to remove my humidification all together to get back below 70, and at this time, have JUST a water pillow in the humi, and I'm just a hair above 70%.

I know the answer is some beads, and am ordering them this weekend. But I'm curious as to why this happened. The altitude didn't change, and we keep this house the same temp we kept the old one. It's getting colder here, but that usually causes a decrease in RH, not a jump. All in all, not alot of the conditions changed, aside from the actual house.

Any ideas?

How a house is constructed can allow for more or less ambient humidity to enter your home. This in turn could affect how much ambient humidity enters your humidor when you open and close it.

Have you replaced the batteries and calibrated your digital hygrometer recently? Weak batteries can give false readings.

Since most places over humidify their cigars, adding new cigars can raise your RH initially.

I hope this helps

~Mark

Sounds like its the house and you need to re setup to adjust to your new enviroment...

But.. is your hygrometer digital? If not.. Is it at all possible that your analogue Hygrometer has adjusted itself with the vibrations its experianced moving from house to house.... IF your running analogue, i'd say you need to recalibrate.

you should get a reading of the RH outside of your humi to find out what your battling against

it's most likely the house. New homes are built with wet wood and the drywall/tape/paint they use just adds to the humidity level. It takes some time (about a year) to dry out (that's partially why you get nail pops and cracks in new homes)

If not.. Is it at all possible that your analogue Hygrometer has adjusted itself with the vibrations its experianced moving from house to house....

Took the words right out of my mouth... :thumbs: