• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidity level

twistix

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a couple of questions about my humidor:

1. My humidity level in my humidor says it's at 75%, but I've been reading it's better to have it a little less then 70% to avoid mould and to keep cigars a little better. How do I lower the humidity level? I could take the humidifier thing out for a bit but wouldn't it just go back up when I put it back in?

2. If mould develops in my humidor, is there anything i should do to prevent damage to my cigars?

3. A box of cigars arrived earlier then expected and I hadn't even set up my humidor yet, so they were out of a humidor for quite a while. When I had one it didn't taste too good, but I had one after about a week in the humidor and it tasted fine. Does this mean cigars could be kept anywhere and just put in a humidor a couple of weeks before smoking and they'll be fine?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions lol I've only just got into cigars.

Cheers,
Twistix.

Do some searching on this subject. You need to get some beads into your humidor, 65 to 70%, whichever is your preference.

Welcome to CP...there is an "introduction" forum, start a thread and introduce yourself there.

Brian

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a couple of questions about my humidor:

1. My humidity level in my humidor says it's at 75%, but I've been reading it's better to have it a little less then 70% to avoid mould and to keep cigars a little better. How do I lower the humidity level? I could take the humidifier thing out for a bit but wouldn't it just go back up when I put it back in?

Make sure you calibrate your hygrometer twice a year and replace the batteries once a year. Also, pick up some RH Beads for the easiest way to humidify your humidor precisely

2. If mould develops in my humidor, is there anything i should do to prevent damage to my cigars?

The most common cause of mold is from standing water

3. A box of cigars arrived earlier then expected and I hadn't even set up my humidor yet, so they were out of a humidor for quite a while. When I had one it didn't taste too good, but I had one after about a week in the humidor and it tasted fine. Does this mean cigars could be kept anywhere and just put in a humidor a couple of weeks before smoking and they'll be fine?

You should store them in your humidor for at least 2-4 weeks prior to smoking so they have time to acclimate to the desired RH level

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions lol I've only just got into cigars.

Cheers,
Twistix.

Answers in bold

I hope this helps

~Mark

I would be a big help to get some more detailed info.

How big is your humidor and what are you using for humidification?
What kind of cigars are they and how did you have them stored prior to getting your humidor?

Dave

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'll start a thread in the introductory forumn after this post. I'll look into these RH beads then, thanks.

It's a small humidor which holds 50 cigars (more of less depending on the size though). It has a little humidifier thing on the lid which has a grate over it which you're supposed to squirt water through. I opened it up a while ago and it had a pink spongy kind of thing inside it.

Before I got the humidor I just had my cigars sitting in the box they came in.

Just searched for NZ sites containing RH beads @ google and it came up empty lol. What does RH stand for? Are they a special humidor thing or are they for other purposes? Just so I know which kind of shops to try lol

Just searched for NZ sites containing RH beads @ google and it came up empty lol. What does RH stand for? Are they a special humidor thing or are they for other purposes? Just so I know which kind of shops to try lol
They are easy to find online. Try Heartfelt Industries or Cigarmony (there's a link to his site in his reply in post #4). Both are quality vendors who post here regularly. They have an assortment of beads from which to choose and I imagine that they'll ship down your way. You might want to email them if you have any questions.