• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidity ploblem?

Torb

I recently purchased my first humidor. I ended up getting a small, 30 cigar Adorini Delux. I followed the instructions on preparing the humidor. After 3 days the hygrometer was off the scale, 100% humidity! So I recalibrated with the salt method and cranked it back to 75% I checked it twice to be sure. I placed the meter back in the humidor and added a couple of cigars. The next day the reading is still over 80%. Will the humidity drop if I just leave it alone? Or should I take the humidifier out for a day or 2? Any sugguestions?

Torb

(Ploblem oops :0 )

First: If you're not using a digital hydrometer, get one! Throw away, or don't rely on a mechanical one.
Second: What are you using for humidification?

Using the floral foam that most humidors come with make it hard to get a steady humidity level. Try looking for humidity beads.

There are plenty of subjects on here about the subject, just do some searching and you will find what your looking for.

Hi again!

I am using Acryl polymer cristal fleece with distilled water. The humidifier also has adjustable vents, which i have almost fully closed to try and bring down the humidity. The hydrometer is mechanical and is a good quality german one, it seems to show a consistant 75% in the salt test.

Jfields is right though, you should invest in some beads and a digital hydro. I thought the same when I first started and boy was I wrong. Once I changed my setup to beads and digital, I have been a lot happier and more sane as well. I don't have to worry too much anymore. Also, now that you have started down this path, you might want to do some research on coolidors or winodors, (wine fridge).

Hi again!

I am using Acryl polymer cristal fleece with distilled water. The humidifier also has adjustable vents, which i have almost fully closed to try and bring down the humidity. The hydrometer is mechanical and is a good quality german one, it seems to show a consistant 75% in the salt test.

Try beads, or a gel then. I had a humidifier like yours, and I finally gave up on it after doing much reading here. The beads will do a much better job of regulating humidity swings than having to mess with the vents.

The hygrometer is a matter of personal preference (mine and most others being digital as well) and what you are comfortable with.

Hi again!

First, I have no idea what "Acryl polymer cristal fleece" is but that wont stop my from adding my $.02...

How long did yo salt test your hygro for? I would suggest a minimum of 24-48 hours to let the testing environment stabilize. If you did that and it shows 75%, bravo, you have a good unit (not sure the Germans have the market cornered in hygros just yet ;) ). However I am skeptical of one you had "crank" back to 75%. You said you checked it twice....how long between tests did you wait?

Lastly, how long did you wait to check the humidity after adding your cigars? Most of us here are guilty of being to anxious or impatient with our first humidor. Give it time. Relax.

And as JFields, suggested, spend some time reading and searching this forum. I bet all you questions have been answered.

I spent over 2 months trying to get gels and foam to work for humidity. I tried the polyglycol solutions, salt tested, seasoned, tried adding cedar strips and empty boxes... nothing worked. Get the beads if you don't want to deal with the hassle anymore. Otherwise, good luck. I never could get the other stuff to work right.

Get some beads! I had issues with humidity right after christmas. Everyone gave me cigars, so my humidor was packed :love: but it made my humidor drop to 57% gradually. I was using gel with no problem at all, until christmas. Added another stick with no improvement. Ordered some beads from heartfelt, got them super fast, hydrated them, and now she is back at 65% where I like her. I will start my cooler when I hopefully get the contract on my new home. I will use beads for sure :D

Thanks for the tips everyone! I will leave it for a week or 2 and if its still to damp I will invest in some beads!

Cheers, Torb

Thanks for the tips everyone! I will leave it for a week or 2 and if its still to damp I will invest in some beads!

Cheers, Torb

In a week or two, you might have a mold farm, and not a cigar collection anymore.........................At least take the humidification device out for a day, or until the percentage drops.

Cheers, Torb

In a week or two, you might have a mold farm, and not a cigar collection anymore.........................At least take the humidification device out for a day, or until the percentage drops.

Thanks! I have taken out the humidifier and placed a match under the lid to let a bit of air in. Hopefully it will settle down ;)