• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HUMIDITY PROBLEM... I NEED HELP!

caf034

Top Striker
Guys before you get pissed about probably having dealt with similar questions for years, let me say that I've spent a good while reading all the stuff everyone has had to say on this topic. I have two small humidors which were properly seasoned after I got them. I cannot for the life of me keep the humidity HIGH enough. After a few weeks of filling the shitty round humidifiers that come with most boxes I got some DryMistat tubes before I got on here and read about the beads. They've only been in for a couple days now and as of yet can't really testify to their productivity. The humidors were sitting for a while, no matter what I did, at no higher than like 59/60 rh. I did the salt test on the shitty hygrometers I have (ordering digitals as we speak), and have accounted for mismeasurement. Any suggestions would help, I'm leaving town for a couple weeks in a couple weeks and I'd really love to have these humidors set up properly for what I've already got and what I hopefully get for X-mas! thanks.

You may want to try re seasoning them with a Bovada pack and check the seal to make sure no leaks. Also, the heartfelt beads are a gift from god. Get them.

How many cigars do you have in the humidors? I had a real hard time keeping the humidity (before this site) around 50%. Now, with the same humidifiers, two digital hygrometers, and two humidors about 95% capacity each they sit pretty between 65%-70% all the time. The cigars and humidifiers feed and balance humidity off each other.

So my basic advice is to fill them up!

60% RH is no reason to panic. I keep one of my coolerdors at 60% and the other at 65%. Your cigars are fine and won't dry out at 60 some are better at this level. Also what temp are you at? Air is dryer as it cools so if your box is in the basement or something like that your RH may drop a little. Sounds like your stock credo's are clogged and no longer useful. The drymistat tubes may take some time to stabalize your box, just keep them filled. Did you buy enough or large enough tubes for your, box size?

Like others here I use the beads, makes everything worry free, but don't sweat it your are still in a acceptable range and your cigars are fine.

Keith

So my basic advice is to fill them up!

I must say I agree.
When I finished building my corridor I had only one box of cigars and
the RH was always under 50%.
After filling it up with a couple of more boxes and more cigars
the RH started to raise.
I'm using beads which are really easy to use,I suggest you order some
and fill the humidor up even with empty boxes.

Question - have you got a humidifer on your furnace?

I noticed that after I turned on my humidifer and put a new pad, my humidors stabilized at 68%...

Before I was strugging to get them above 60%.

Your on the right track. The digital hydrometers will be a heck of a lot better. Once you get those in and fill it up with some cigars your should be good. When I first was messing with my humidor I didn't have any luck with those drymist tubes. I don't use the beads, but a lot of people seem to say they are good. So good luck to you my friend.

Have you given the humidor a 48 to 72 hour period to settle in with out opening the door. It took care of my issue. However mine come packeaged very well. :D :D
IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

I started with DryMistat tubes... and they sucked. Many a good cigar was ruined by that wildly fluctuating, mould inducing POS.

Heartfelt beads. Get them.

I had problems with my small humi as well, and I picked up the heartfelt beads, and no more issues. I can attest to their already good reputation

thanks a lot guys, altogether good and pretty consistent answers. working on fillin em up, and will look into some heartfelt beads after my hygros arrive. i appreciate it!

I noticed you are in Atlanta, a quick weather.com check indicates it's often around 50-55 degree highs right now. What's the day-round temperature in your humidor? Is it stable? R/H comes from dew point which comes from temperature.

Are your hygro's accurate, someone else mentioned salt test I think.

There's lots of talk of keeping it shut and let the humidity rise, turth is whatever you put in there will suck up humidity, when it's saturated then the air R/H will rise.

Check seals, might want to run some tape around it for a day and see what happens.