• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidity Question

WyoSmoke

Okay guys, I waited as long as I could and researched as much as I could, so here goes. I believe I have all of my bases covered, but maybe someone could throw me a bone here. First off let me list everything that I believe I need to have done...

Humidor Seals Good - Check (woosh test)
Heartfelt Beads - Check (Bought the 65% beads in tubes with blue caps)
Seasoned Humidors Before Use - Check (Used Boveda Seasoning Packets)
Humidors Stocked - Check (Almost 3/4 or better full)
Hygrometers Calibrated - Check (Hygrosets calibrated with Humidipak Calibration Packs)
Not Being Overly Anxious and Opening Humis too Much - Check

So here comes my question and yes, I know it's been asked many times before. I took the advice of most everyone and bought HFs 65% beads and have had both of my humis set up for quite some time. (The older for well over a year now and the newer for close to two months) I seem to be having the issue of not having my RH even close to what the beads are expected to equalize at. Everything has been done this way for the two months that I have had my new humi set up, and my RH seems to level out at 58-59% on both humis instead of anywhere closer to 65%. So, is it possible that the HF tubes I purchased are filled with 60% beads instead of 65% beads or have I done something wrong?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to All,
Mike

I think there were a couple of other threads talking about the humidity levels being off. Not sure if there were answers in them or not.

How exactly do you check the seal of a humidor? Just curious.

I am making a name for myself hijacking threads....maybe I need to stop :\

How are you wetting the beads? Maybe they need more moisture, however you're doing it.

Put one of your bead tubes and a hygro in a double-bagged Ziploc. Leave for a few hours. What's the RH?

How are you wetting the beads? Maybe they need more moisture, however you're doing it.

Using a mister and lightly spraying the beads until about 75% or so are clear...

Put one of your bead tubes and a hygro in a double-bagged Ziploc. Leave for a few hours. What's the RH?

Hmmm, I guess I hadn't thought of this... I will try it tonight and see where I end up.

Okay guys, I waited as long as I could and researched as much as I could, so here goes. I believe I have all of my bases covered, but maybe someone could throw me a bone here. First off let me list everything that I believe I need to have done...

Humidor Seals Good - Check (woosh test)
Heartfelt Beads - Check (Bought the 65% beads in tubes with blue caps)
Seasoned Humidors Before Use - Check (Used Boveda Seasoning Packets)
Humidors Stocked - Check (Almost 3/4 or better full)
Hygrometers Calibrated - Check (Hygrosets calibrated with Humidipak Calibration Packs)
Not Being Overly Anxious and Opening Humis too Much - Check

So here comes my question and yes, I know it's been asked many times before. I took the advice of most everyone and bought HFs 65% beads and have had both of my humis set up for quite some time. (The older for well over a year now and the newer for close to two months) I seem to be having the issue of not having my RH even close to what the beads are expected to equalize at. Everything has been done this way for the two months that I have had my new humi set up, and my RH seems to level out at 58-59% on both humis instead of anywhere closer to 65%. So, is it possible that the HF tubes I purchased are filled with 60% beads instead of 65% beads or have I done something wrong?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to All,
Mike

I have 70% beads and I am always right at 65%, hope this helps. Also, it is important that you have enought beads, how often are you refilling your tubes?

I wonder if your humidor is properly seasoned. If the hygrometer is spot-on after the test, that would be my guess. My humidor stays at exactly 70% with the Heartfelt beads.

it took my beads 3-4 days to adjust once i put them in. I ran high tho (70% with 65% beads). After a few days, it worked itself out.

It could be that if you have seasoned our humidor but haven't filled it yet, the humidity could be dropping very quickly since you have no buffer (for a lack of better word). The humidor will hold humidity better if if's half full rather than empty. Likewise for 70% full over 50%.