• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidity way too high...

bringbackphish

I am very new to cigars. I thought my humidors were at around 68% RH. However, when I salt calibrated my hydrometers to 75% (three days in the bag with the salt soultion) the RH is now at 80%. How do I regulate the humidity to the right amount? All of my humidifiers are passive. Can I just take them out. I can't add any cedar because both of the humidors are stuffed to the brim and the cedar won't fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

BTW the humidity in the house is 87% outside so opening the box won't help.

I am very new to cigars. I thought my humidors were at around 68% RH. However, when I salt calibrated my hydrometers to 75% (three days in the bag with the salt soultion) the RH is now at 80%. How do I regulate the humidity to the right amount? All of my humidifiers are passive. Can I just take them out. I can't add any cedar because both of the humidors are stuffed to the brim and the cedar won't fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

BTW the humidity in the house is 87% outside so opening the box won't help.
Elaborate...

Either your humidor doesn't seal well enough to keep the high ambient RH out, or you over-saturated your humidifiers. Or you over-seasoned... Or newly added RP's are over-saturated...

:thumbs:

I have two humidors. One is a 25 count desktop humidor with a crystal humidifier and a small jar of the gel. The other is the Vegas five 100 count humidor with the same set up just larger humidifiers.

Taking your humidifiers should bring the RH down, assuming that's the problem (are they soaked?). Crystal gel will absorb excess moisture, tho. To dry out crystal gel, hit with a hair dryer for a min. or two then toss back in.

Repeatedly opening your humi in 87% RH will jack with it's stability.

As most will say, going with Hearfelt beads will often be your best option for humidification.

Keep reading...plenty of info here.

87% humidity in NY really that doesn't sound right I know your on the water there but damn thats high for NY. I would make sure your humidity in your house is correct. (not buy your recently calabrated hygro) The hygro may be off. But if all looks right and the humidity is still high open your doors and windows right now its 58% down there. My guess is you hygro is off. Are they digital?

Good Luck.