• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidity while shipping in country

Do you add a moisture source

• Almost never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes

• Frequently

• Almost always

• Total voters

NullSmurf

Das Bruce
I think I've shipped and received HUNDREDS of boxes of cigars over the years. I've noticed that vendors rarely add a water source. In fact, many don't even bag, but depend on the box of bundle cello. On the other hand, when Brothers ship, newbs almost always toss in a water pillow or some similar device. I rarely do any longer because I think they're just not needed. The exception would be when I'm shipping to my Brothers Wurm and Double D. German customs can be brutal, timewise.

I think I've shipped and received HUNDREDS of boxes of cigars over the years. I've noticed that vendors rarely add a water source. In fact, many don't even bag, but depend on the box of bundle cello. On the other hand, when Brothers ship, newbs almost always toss in a water pillow or some similar device. I rarely do any longer because I think they're just not needed. The exception would be when I'm shipping to my Brothers Wurm and Double D. German customs can be brutal, timewise.

My store includes a water pillow, because you never know if the package will get lost for some time. I had a box going to IL that got "lost" in a train derailment. The package was found and my customer received it about 3 weeks later (after I sent another box). The cigars were in perfect condition when they were finally received. You just never know.

I only add one if the package is going to another country and sometimes I forget even then. I usually have them bagged and wrapped pretty good, so I just don't think about it much.

I have received a few packages containing water pillows that ruined one or two of the cigars. I won't use a water pillow, but rather a humidipack.

My first cigar purchase from CI is on the way and it's been delayed due to weather. I'm sure it's fine but I just realized I have no idea what they did to protect the cigars.

I'll throw in a humidipack every now and then, it depends on where they are going.

It really depends on how many cigars I'm shipping and the value of said cigars. Also, if I run a group buy on cigars that just landed and I turn around and mail them again, I always add a water pillow.

Edit to add: I always put my cigars in a 5 finger baggy, then enclose that baggie in a giant gallon Ziploc baggy. I'll put the water pillow in the outter Ziploc and I leave the 5 finger baggy open.

Depends on the distance, but I usually do not.

I do love to open a box from a vendor and see one though. Makes me feel like they are putting that extra effort and care into the packaging.

Sometimes I do - I didn't start until I got the idea from unclebillybonz. I must have 5 pillows from him distributed all over the country...

I always use a waterpillow when sending out cigars, I do it because the USPS, I don't trust them.

I sometimes put one in, but often I forget it and the sticks are already packed.

When shipping Priority Mail, that takes 3 days coast-to-coast...any amount of cigars properly sealed & wrapped can survive that trip. When shipping Down Under or to Europe, I always enclose a HumiPack.

But like Brickhouse said, I love seeing a Water Pillow in my shipment from a Vendor...it shows they care...and I get a free Water Pillow!

Double bagged. Outer bag has wet paper towel. That way, if the humidity from the cigar does escape, it won't go far.

I used to, but after running out of room in the humi and cooler as well as running out of tupperware at one point, I ended up storing some singles I had purchased from the local B&M for several months in the plastic bags they were put in when purchased. A few months later they were still at practically the same rH they were at when purchased. That's when I realized that as long as the bag containing the cigars seals properly, water pillows and the like especially for short term storage are completely unneccessary.

I always have, but now that I see that a lot of people don't and don't have a problem with it I probably won't anymore. Unless it's gonna be a far travel. Nice poll.

I double bag cigars / boxes when I ship. Cigars go in "finger" bags, boxes go in a big zip lock. The cigars and a moisture source go in a second bag. That gets carefully packed and off it goes.

This keeps the moisture source away from the cigars (I've seen them leak) but keeps the humidity in the environment at an appropriate level.

Overkill.....maybe. But, no one's complained about the packing yet and I have yet to replace cigars that got damaged in transit.... :thumbs:

Regards - B.B.S.

I don't see why more retailers don't include them in shipments. A $.50 Boveda packet says they care about your cigars as much as you do. A retailer that cares gets more of my business. IMHO.

As for myself sending cigars, I'm more concerned with the package never arriving (or being destroyed) than RH for a 2-3 day travel. :angry:

Derek

*edit to add: you can never use too much tape... :D

Depends on the distance, but I usually do not.

I do love to open a box from a vendor and see one though. Makes me feel like they are putting that extra effort and care into the packaging.

X2 I don't order Bovedas for this purpose but save the ones that come with some of my purchases. If I have one around I throw it in.