• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor and DRIED cigar Questions

TorxOffroad

Hey guys,

I like this Forum! I just joined. Let me give you some back ground real fast. Im an occasional cigar smoker. I dont keep many on hand. I dont have a broad knowledge of them but enjoy them none the less.
I have a nice cedar lined humidor that was purchased for me from my best friend. I have a round humidifier, a humiditube and a jar of gel and solution. I have primed the walls with distilled water, and yesterday I bought a digital Hygrometer. I did the salt test over night. When I went to bed at 1 am it read 80%. When I checked it at 10AM it said 80%. It doesnt have a calibrating feature.

I have about 6 cigars that have sat in the humidor for about a year. The box doesnt get opened much and I havnt smoked them because they are HARD! Ive heard that you can bring them back but it takes 4-6 weeks.

So here is my question: After 3 different humidifiers in this box, and the box has a great seal and is primed, Im only reading about 64%. So is sticking the dry cigars in this box soaking up all the humidity in the box? Because this morning after sitting in the humidified box for 18 hours it reads 71% (which according to my test im 5% higher so really its 66%)

Any help would be appreciated. I mainly just want to know if dry cigars are soaking up all my humidity....

Please INTRODUCE YOURSELF in the Intro Forum before making a post. Also, there is a search function here that will be of great help , since this subject is pretty common.

Please INTRODUCE YOURSELF in the Intro Forum before making a post. Also, there is a search function here that will be of great help , since this subject is pretty common.

Ketch, Im not familiar with internet forums and protocols so FORGIVE. Also searching is how I found out about the salt test, and priming the Humidor. I have another question that I would like answered specifically about dried cigars affecting humidity levels that I wasn't able to get answered. I shouldn't be made to feel unwelcomed to post a reasonable question on "The Internets Friendliest & Most knowledgeable Cigar Community." If I am mistaken I will delete my account since my first polite inquiry was met with rudeness.

I know it looks to you ketch's response was rude but I didn't see it that way. There has always been a rule around here that new members need to introduce themselves in the proper forum before they begin posting and asking questions and to not do so shows a lack of common courtesy. Also, your dried out humidor issue pops up here at least 3-4 times a year and has been discussed ad nauseam. Not trying to be rude or scold you just trying to explain his response.

To answer your question, it takes longer than 18 hours for the wood in your humidor to soak up the distilled water and become stable. There is a great reference posted here regarding how to season your humidor. It's pinned to the top of the page and is really an awesome source for your issue. In my opinion your year old hard cigars are probably trash and if it were me I would toss them. But that is your call not mine. If you put dried out cigars in the box now it will likely slow down the process of seasoning your humidor. I would put them in some tupperware with a very small amount of distilled water in a shot glass or shallow dish while you are getting the box ready to go.

As you read you will see everyone here recommending beads over the more common foam humidifiers. They know what they are talking about and it will make your cigar life much easier if you follow their lead and buy some.

Hopefully this helps and you decide to hang around and contribute. This is the best cigar board on the net but we don't look to kindly on noobs joining, asking a million questions we have answered dozens of times then leaving without so much as a thank you.

I know it looks to you ketch's response was rude but I didn't see it that way. There has always been a rule around here that new members need to introduce themselves in the proper forum before they begin posting and asking questions and to not do so shows a lack of common courtesy. Also, your dried out humidor issue pops up here at least 3-4 times a year and has been discussed ad nauseam. Not trying to be rude or scold you just trying to explain his response.

To answer your question, it takes longer than 18 hours for the wood in your humidor to soak up the distilled water and become stable. There is a great reference posted here regarding how to season your humidor. It's pinned to the top of the page and is really an awesome source for your issue. In my opinion your year old hard cigars are probably trash and if it were me I would toss them. But that is your call not mine. If you put dried out cigars in the box now it will likely slow down the process of seasoning your humidor. I would put them in some tupperware with a very small amount of distilled water in a shot glass or shallow dish while you are getting the box ready to go.

As you read you will see everyone here recommending beads over the more common foam humidifiers. They know what they are talking about and it will make your cigar life much easier if you follow their lead and buy some.

Hopefully this helps and you decide to hang around and contribute. This is the best cigar board on the net but we don't look to kindly on noobs joining, asking a million questions we have answered dozens of times then leaving without so much as a thank you.

I appreciate your direction. That was helpful. I have not joined a forum before and didnt know it was "Lack of common courtesy" Not to post in the intro forums. You can see how that notion would seem silly when youve never heard of such things in the past. I DID HOWEVER go back and post there as well as introduced myself on my own in my first thread. As far as searching goes I did QUITE a bit of reading up to this point before even joining. You cant expect people to read Terabytes of info before asking a single "NOOB" question...

Thanks for your direction.

Unless these sticks mean something to you, dump them and buy new ones. Dried out sticks which are brought back will never taste as they did before. In regards to your humidity, buy some heartfelt beads and you will be set.

Just some friendly advice. Sometimes it is better to step away from the keyboard for a few minutes or so and chill.

You cant expect people to read Terabytes of info before asking a single "NOOB" question...

You aren't the first one to encounter this and you won't be the last. We don't have a lot of rules here but when the rules are broken the membership here will jump in and let you know, especially if you are new. Some new people find this rude. Others take it in stride and hang around and contribute.

There is a guide on top of the introduction section that explains this better than I can. It really should be a mandatory read to gain membership before people are allowed to post. IMHO.

Ketch, Im not familiar with internet forums and protocols so FORGIVE. Also searching is how I found out about the salt test, and priming the Humidor. I have another question that I would like answered specifically about dried cigars affecting humidity levels that I wasn't able to get answered. I shouldn't be made to feel unwelcomed to post a reasonable question on "The Internets Friendliest & Most knowledgeable Cigar Community." If I am mistaken I will delete my account since my first polite inquiry was met with rudeness.
Welcome to CigarPass. I believe in brevity.

Welcome to CigarPass. I believe in brevity.

Bully!

As for the cigars, stick them to some place dark and sealed... Hmmm like your garbage can. Pm me your addy and I'll see if I can get Ketch to send you a sixer! :). He has the biggest stash of the very rare Ron Mexicos. You might get lucky, after all. I will bet that a Ron Mexico will beat any of the sticks you are trying to revive. :D.

I appreciate your direction. That was helpful. I have not joined a forum before and didnt know it was "Lack of common courtesy" Not to post in the intro forums. You can see how that notion would seem silly when youve never heard of such things in the past. I DID HOWEVER go back and post there as well as introduced myself on my own in my first thread. As far as searching goes I did QUITE a bit of reading up to this point before even joining. You cant expect people to read Terabytes of info before asking a single "NOOB" question...

Mind you, the rules are conspicuously posted for that very reason so newbs like you don't have to go through terabytes of info.

Agreed, ditch your dried out sticks and buy yourself a couple samplers to get a feel for what you like to smoke. I always recommend this to green smokers so they don't buy a box and get stuck with 25 cigars they aren't fond of. Good luck and welcome!

-Cheers

As far as rules. I read them. (after the fact mind you) and I understand the situation now. Appologies.

I took your advice guys and ditched the few cigars I was trying to bring back. I went back to the shop and bought a "house cigar" sample pack. As well as a few others. Figured it would be better for the humidor to stick maintained cigars in there than old dried out ones that will just suck up the humidity.

As far as the beads go, I think I have them. I got this shot glass size container with these clear beads that you add solution to?

Thanks guys.

I don't have the Heartfelt beads (mine are another manufacturer), however I do know that all they need is distilled water. Don't use any solution on them.

Not sure what solution you are adding, but try out this link Heartfelt. They require distilled water. Buy a spray bottle and mist them when your humidity drops. Do not over saturate. You want some beads to be wet and some to remain dry so that they have the ability to release and reabsorb moisture. Good luck.

Back