• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor - bottom too humid

nmrabinovich

Hi,

I apologize in advance if this is a newbie question. I just bought a new 100ct glass top humidor with an analog hygrometer built into the front and single tray included. I also purchased a xikar digital hyrgrometer, xikar crystal humidifier, and a propylene glycol solution.

I seasoned the humidor, calibrated both the digital and analog hygrometer multiple times, and filled the humidifier with the propylene glycol solution. Then I attached the filled humidifier to the bottom of the tray, so it is hanging upside down facing the bottom. All is set and good to go. However, I noticed that the hygrometer reads a nice 69% humidity and 70 deg. above the tray, but 75% and 70 deg. at the bottom. I am a little concerned with the 75% humidity, especially after reading all the cautionary articles on mold and tobacco beetles.

Any advice on how to lower the humidity at the bottom?

Thanks.

IMO you are 'trapping' the humidity by mounting it to the underside of the tray. The Humidity generated my the humidifier needs to 'free flow' as if the the airspace in the underside of the lid

Air circulation is needed thats' why almost every humidor I've made or seen made by others has the Humidifier mounted to the underside of the lid.

IMO you are 'trapping' the humidity by mounting it to the underside of the tray. The Humidity generated my the humidifier needs to 'free flow' as if the the airspace in the underside of the lid

Air circulation is needed thats' why almost every humidor I've made or seen made by others has the Humidifier mounted to the underside of the lid.

It's a glass top lid.

If it's mounted elswhere...the foot/head for side of the cigars will be an issue. (unless a small an is placed in it.

Seeing that there is a tray...maybe two or four small tubes of beads would balance it out?

Are the two different readings from the same hygro or from the 2 different ones? If it's the two different - analog on top, digital on the bottom, forget what the analog one says. No matter how many times you try to calbrate it, the results will be sketchy, at best. I wouldn't count on that for a reading, just look at it as decoration.

Search is your friend...as well as the intro section. :)

While search will help her to find an answer, this scenario seems a bit unique to a degree. Aside from that, communities tend to fail when fresh questions/answers aren't posted. I'm sure we can help guide this lady in the right direction, and help her resolve her RH issues.

Like Arlin said, you're trapping the humidity. Like Gary said, get some beads. :D You might place some dry beads on the bottom if you plan on keeping your humidifier -- or just get rid of the humidifier all together and use beads only. That's what I would do.

Good luck.

Are the two different readings from the same hygro or from the 2 different ones? If it's the two different - analog on top, digital on the bottom, forget what the analog one says. No matter how many times you try to calbrate it, the results will be sketchy, at best. I wouldn't count on that for a reading, just look at it as decoration.

Good point -- make sure you use the same hygrometer to measure RH. Preferably the digital one.

I would invest in the humidity beads. A common mistake using propylene glycol is when a refill is warranted due to the cigars finally stabilizing. The person adds so much distilled water or PG (propylene glycol) solution the cigars end up absorbing it too fast, too soon and the ends of the cigars trumpet outward trying to balance the RH in the humi.

Beads are much more forgiving in the long run.