• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor break-in humidification questions

ML237

On a prowl ...can't stop...lost my mind...up in sm
Hi All,
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

This week I received my first “serious” and quite beautiful humidor - Daniel Marshall 150ct Zebrawood. Following the instruction I have prepped the Credo with half/half of Special care solution & distilled water. The instruction said that I should leave & monitor my humidity/temperature for about 10-20days depending on the size of the humidor. I have been monitoring the temp & humidity and the results so far have been from high of 72/68 to low of 66/48. (High oscillations probably due to activation of digital hygrometer right after prepping). Right now it’s at 71/58. So my question for all you experienced BOTL & D.M. owners:
1. When will be the acceptable time for me to start placing my cigars in the humidor?
2. Do I need to adjust my humidity levels again if they fall below 60-65% before the humidor break in period is finished?
3. Do you suggest that the Credo regulator should be modified or perhaps aided with some other system (i.e such as beads)?
4. This is a two level humidor. I do intent to “age/hold” some cigars for a while would it be better to hold them in lower level of the humidor? I intend to keep the humidity at 65%. What humidity is preferred for such application?
5. After I add the cigars to the humidor should I expect to need to adjust the humidity due to their addition?
6. Lastly if I add the 3 & 5 packs does it matter to keep them in boxes or should I remove them?

Sorry for all the excessive and perhaps obvious questions, but I just would like make sure to utilize all the forums extensive knowledge of all of experienced BOTL.

Better safe then sorry seems to be this newbie’s latest motto :p

I'm interested in hearing a reply as well since my humidor is on its way and will arrive any day now. Safe rather than sorry is definitely seems like the way to go in this potentially rather expensive hobby/addiction/disease/genetic disorder, what ever you may call it.

gtxjet said:
I'm interested in hearing a reply as well since my humidor is on its way and will arrive any day now. Safe rather than sorry is definitely seems like the way to go in this potentially rather expensive hobby/addiction/disease/genetic disorder, what ever you may call it.
[snapback]255110[/snapback]​

Well no answers from others, but after doing some research (search function does wonders ;) ) on CP & other resources this is what I found out.

1. When will be the acceptable time for me to start placing my cigars in the humidor?
Probably around 7-10 days (for 150 ct humidor)for the break in humidor to take effect.
2. Do I need to adjust my humidity levels again if they fall below 60-65% before the humidor break in period is finished?
You'll see the RH go down due to cedar absorbing the moisture, just monitor it and add another ounce of distilled water if needed to get the RH back up.
3. Do you suggest that the Credo regulator should be modified or perhaps aided with some other system (i.e such as beads)?
Not needed unless the credo (or whichever unit) you have is underperforming. In that case you just might go with beads as they are quite good in addition to their ease of use.
4. This is a two level humidor. I do intent to “age/hold” some cigars for a while would it be better to hold them in lower level of the humidor? I intend to keep the humidity at 65%. What humidity is preferred for such application?
For aging its better to have a seperate humidor (perhaps a coolidor would be a better solution) then the one used daily just so you can have optimal temp/RH for aging. Usually its suggested to have a lower RH closer to 60 for aging.
5. After I add the cigars to the humidor should I expect to need to adjust the humidity due to their addition?
Yes as due to addition of cigars to the humi the RH will change & needed to be adjusted accordingly. It depends on condition & quantity of cigars but some adjustment will be required.
6. Lastly if I add the 3 & 5 packs does it matter to keep them in boxes or should I remove them?

You can keep them in boxes or out. They are stored in boxes anyways in retail & aging humidors so it will not "hurt" them per say. Although if you are looking to age the cigars perhaps taking them out of boxes will aid in that somewhat (getting that vintage patina in addition to merging the tastes of your humidor).

Hope this helps, now the fun part of getting the right cigars to fill up the empty spaces :p

ML,

Good show! The only thing I might add is to confirm the concept of having a separate coolerdor to age your sticks, and use your humidor for cigar storage to be smoked short term. Also, get some beads! They are essential in keeping a coolerdor stable, and are also quite useful in a humidor as well. They just make your life so much easier to maintain humidity, and help to stabilize things. Good Luck! :D :D

Beautiful Humidor... I love that wood. :)

Shiba said:
Beautiful Humidor... I love that wood. :)
[snapback]258168[/snapback]​

Thanks Shiba I rather liked it myself due to "non-traditional" wood pattern/grain which was something I was drawn to. Of course this is nothing compared to your incoming cabinet :)