• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor came in today!

Those are great humidors, I believe made by QI. The seals are always nice and tight and construction is always solid.

Those are great humidors, I believe made by QI. The seals are always nice and tight and construction is always solid.

Good to hear. It feels pretty nice and the lid closure is very solid.

Question about the beads and digital hygrometer. What's the remedy for a too high/low humidity reading? Do I add more beads, remove some, place my humidor in the garage, or closet or under the bed (as in, find a location where the temperature or ambient humidity levels are different)? If the hygrometer is just a measuring device, than it has no effect on the levels of RH. If I install a container of beads (70%) designed for a humidor of this size, how would I change the RH levels? The Cigar Oasis looks ideal, but I'm not prepared to drop that type of coin just yet.

Beads release and absorb humidity. You will just follow the instructions and charge (get wet) the recommended percent of the beads. Then just put the beads in your seasoned humidor and let them do thier job. Then just check beads every so often to see if they need to be charged again. Easy as that!

Well you guys convinced me, ordered a digital hygo and some beads :thumbs:

Good job, Tillers. Digital and beads are the way to go. Trust the advice here. As someone said, it comes from experience!

:thumbs:

oh, also, don't take the "100 count capacity" literally. Cigars come in all sizes and shapes, so a 100 count may hold 4 boxes of cigars, or only 2, depending on size. If you're as in love with this hobby as you seem, I'd bet every dollar in my account that within a year you'll either add another humi or start a coolidor. Happens to damn near all of us!

oh, also, don't take the "100 count capacity" literally. Cigars come in all sizes and shapes, so a 100 count may hold 4 boxes of cigars, or only 2, depending on size. If you're as in love with this hobby as you seem, I'd bet every dollar in my account that within a year you'll either add another humi or start a coolidor. Happens to damn near all of us!

Indeed it does. When I first found Cigar Pass 4 or 5 months ago I was using a small humi-pouch for 3-5 cigars. A little while after I signed up I had a 100 count humidor. I thought I'd never have more than fifty or so at a time. Now I'm waiting for a 1000+ct humidor to be built and delivered. A slippery slope it is.

When I first found Cigar Pass 4 or 5 months ago I was using a small humi-pouch for 3-5 cigars. A little while after I signed up I had a 100 count humidor. I thought I'd never have more than fifty or so at a time. Now I'm waiting for a 1000+ct humidor to be built and delivered. A slippery slope it is.

Too funny! It happened to a lot of us.

I started with a 50ct. Now I have a 50ct., a 150ct, and a 50qt cooler. And they're all full ??? :laugh:

Or a Vinotemp...:whistling:

The beads are maintenance free. If you start having small RH% swings don't worry, it's normal. Now, if you start having 10-20% swings you've got an issue. Let the humi season for about a week, limit opening it up and let the distilled water do it's job. When the beads come in, spray them down with some distilled water and set them in there. I don't know what medium you'll be using to hold them but with a desktop humi, you don't want the beads to touch the wood directly. So a small tupperware dish or a Heartfelt tube is best. I used to use an old tubo from a Partagas with hole drilled all over it. Crude, but no less effective...

Oh, and don't forget to smoke. Somtimes people (i.e. Bill Clinton) get so caught up in the storage of cigars that they forget to smoke them...

I had planned on just taking the lid off the 4 oz container of beads and setting it in the humidor. I don't see why that wont suffice. Maybe ill rubber band a screen over or drill some holes in the lid in vase of tip over the beads don't spill out.

So I got the beads and digital hygro in today. The beads come with a vented lid so I don't have to worry about making anything.

I did a 'quick' 4 hour calibration on both the digital and analog hygrometers. The digital needed 10 percent of adjustment (was reading 65 in the bag), the analog was 25 percent off (reading 50 in the bag)!

So, I'm gonna do another calibration, 24 hours and see where I'm at tomorrow evening. May as well fine tune everything since I have no cigars waiting to go in the humidor. Though I've seasoned the humi for 5 days now, gonna leave the shot glass in there until tomorrow night at least.

Want to get this thing set up for the box of Padrons I have on order

Too much fun!

I did a 'quick' 4 hour calibration on both the digital and analog hygrometers. The digital needed 10 percent of adjustment (was reading 65 in the bag), the analog was 25 percent off (reading 50 in the bag)!

Save yourself some time with the analog one. Either toss it in the trash, or leave it up solely as a decoration and don't ever worry about what it says. No matter how many times you calibrate it, those things have a way of never being accurate.

Yea, I don't plan on keeping the analog hygro. I just figured since I have some time and the space, I may as well tinker with it while I'm taking care of business.

Woke up and checked the bag. Digital is reading 74 (good enough for me) and the analog was at 60, wack :cool:

I would season your humi for at least 1 week, then add the sticks.

Just my opinion tho...

Total seasoning time was ~6 days. I added a can of beads the previous night. Threw 5 sticks in last night. Humidity was at 74% this morning and 73% when I got home from work. Good to go in my opinion! Got a box of Padrons on the way and a coworker bringing me in something as well.

Congrats on the purchase. You'll quickly learn that the cigars will tell you just as much as your digital. If the burns off, keep going out, etc. They'll let you know if you need to adjust as well. Oh and I'm with everyone else... buying boxes within a week of buying your first humi... you'll end up with a vino, cooler, and a 3k humi.. just like me :-D...