• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor humidity too low -- noobie help

Jaster

Resident Who-Dat
This is my current (first) humidor, bought from cheaphumidors.com -- see pic below.

I currently have about 8 or 9 more cigars in there than that picture shows. That humidifier jar should (according to what it says) regulate the humidity at 70%. Unfortunately, the humidity is showing in the mid-upper 50's lately. I did season the humidor after I got it. What should I check? Is it possible that the jar is just too small to handle the humidor size or number of sticks?

Also, with the humidity at the level it is, how long should I wait after I get it back up (assuming I can) to smoke one of the cigars that has been at this level for a week now?

Thanks

cigars1.jpg

Are you sure the hygro is right?

If so, and the jar says it will handle that size of humi it must be leaking badly, wrap it in cellophane for a couple days and see what it is then.

Whatever you do, bring it back slowly if the cigars are going to stay in there.

Good luck

Couple things:

1. If that jar is what I think it is, then it should have no problem humidifying that size humi.

2. If that jar is what I think it is, then it will not regulate at 70%, instead it will just put out humidification....causing a too much humidification problem if anything.

3. If that jar is what I think it is, and you have charged it correctly with distilled water, and you have seasoned your humidor, and you have given it ample time, then you must have a leak in the humi somewhere.

Couple things:

1. If that jar is what I think it is, then it should have no problem humidifying that size humi.

2. If that jar is what I think it is, then it will not regulate at 70%, instead it will just put out humidification....causing a too much humidification problem if anything.

3. If that jar is what I think it is, and you have charged it correctly with distilled water, and you have seasoned your humidor, and you have given it ample time, then you must have a leak in the humi somewhere.

I got the humidifier beads jar at a local shop -- Madelaine's is the brand, i think (sorry -- I'm not at home right now or I would check). I believe it says on there, that it's supposed to regulate the humidity, not just add to it. I didn't charge it at all. It's got marks on the side of the jar that say "full" and "fill" -- when I got it, it was already at the "full" mark.

Ok, yep, it says it'll regulate at 70%....just found their ad somewhere.

I haven't personally used these, I'd say that almost everyone would agree that beads are the better way to go rather than gel.

I've just heard a lot of stories that these "jars" do a poor job of regulating humidity. The are better suited for putting out humidification but not so much for regulating it. Though, the more searching I do I see that some have had success with them.

That being said, your problem is too little humidity not too much, so I'm blabbing for no reason.

Bottom Line: If your humi is in fact seasoned, if you have salt tested your hygro, and your Madelaine Humidification Jar is working as intended, then you must have a poor seal on your humidor.

- Place a dollar bill on the edge where it closes......is it snug in there? Or does it slip out with ease?

- Place a flashlight inside and close it.....does any light escape anywhere?

- (If this is feasible) Place the entire humidor in a large air tight container (tupperware, small cooler, ziplock). Not much bigger than the humi, but big enough to fit it all in. Close it all up....check your humidity again in about 24 hours.

- (If this is feasible) Place the entire humidor in a large air tight container (tupperware, small cooler, ziplock). Not much bigger than the humi, but big enough to fit it all in. Close it all up....check your humidity again in about 24 hours.

All sound advice from the master, if the cooler deal doesn't work, try reseasoning and see if there is any change.

Or, you can try an alternative method of "humidification:"

1. Gather $5 dollars.

2. Get in your car.

3. Drive to your nearest Wal-Mart.

4. Purchase some 00 buckshot.

5. Drive home.

6. Set humidor on block of wood.

7. Load shotgun with aforementioned 00 buckshot.

8. Rack shotgun, aim, squeeze.

9. Repeat step #9 until humidor is splinters.

10. Have a smoke, then go buy a humidor from one of the fine trusted vendors/supporters of CP! :thumbs:

Just trying to save you some headache by spending a measly $5 dollars. :sign: :sign: :sign:

I am using the same jar in my humidor and it is a 150 count humidor I also am useing the foam humidifer that came with the humidor charged with 50/50 solution. The guy at the shop said I wouldn't have to charge the jar if the gel was up to the full line when I bought but he was wrong. I filled mine with distilled water after trying it without doing so. My humidor holds 67% to 68%. From what the guy told me when I bought mine you might need two of the jars for a humidor that size if that is all you are using. I have one in my 150 count and one in my 50 count humidor but am using them with the foam humidirer in both. I also don't think these work as good as the beads from what I have been reading.

Don't use the 50/50 solution in the jar only distilled water and don't put but a little water in it cause when you do the gel will expand.

Hopes this makes since I am not to good at explaining things. :blush:

UPDATE: Well, as an experiment, yesterday I set a shot glass with a bit of distilled water in it. The humidity has been slowly creeping up from 55% yesterday to 62% just now (probably be higher if I could restrain myself from opening it to check it ever few hours).

So does that mean that those beads/gel/whatever it is just isn't getting it done, or that the higher amount of evaporating water is just able to overtake a crappy humidor? Please say the former... ???

That jar is enough for that size humidor, I don't think that can be argued....you're fine there.

Based on what you just said, either the jar wasn't charged well enough prior to you opening it, or the humi wasn't seasoned well enough to begin with. I would guess that the humi wasn't seasoned well enough....that wood can soak up some humidity bro....add those cigars in and it'll drop even more.

OK thanks, I'll just leave it for a while with the shot glass in there and see if it stabilizes eventually.

Put more cigars in the humi. Volume helps to hold and stabilize RH. When was the last time you charged the beads/gel? Howlong did you season the humi? I let mine go at least a week. My first humi, once I got it to 70% man I couldn't get the cigars in there fast enough. Couldn't hold humidity and had to charge the beads all the time. See the humidity has to have a chance to absorbe into the wood and stabilize. The hygro takes a reading of the air. The wood is hygroscopic, it will absorbe the water in the air and release it as the air dries out.

If you did this, disreguard. Wait add more cigars. . . :cool:

Nick

With the shot glass in there, it's still slowly climbing -- 65% now. I only seasoned it for a couple of days. I guess it seems like it's still soaking in the moisture and hasn't stabilized. Since it's at an acceptable level now, I'll leave it as is and see if it does stabilize after a while.

Thanks for the help!

I have two of those same Madelaine's jars at the bottom of my humidor and while they don't necessarily regulate the humidity at 70% they are pretty good at keeping it up. Why not add another humidification device? Those jars are only $8.

I have 100 cnt. Humi. I use 3 jars of the jell with pg solution My humidity hold steady @ 68 degreas. I have been told the PG solotuion is what regulates the humidty in the jars.