• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor in the making

NiteSeer

I am making my first humidor and I want to share the the initial phase with the BOTL. Usually, when I make furniture I like to mill the wood myself. That way from the outset I have total control of the wood. In the following picture, I started out with some rough 4/4 walnut that I have been saving for a special project:
003.jpg

In the next picture I have milled the walnut to 1/2"which will comprise the sides of the humidor:
004.jpg

I ordered some 8/4 Spanish Cedar and milled that with a band saw and a planer. You can see the 8/4 and the the future innards of the humidor standing side by side. The thickness of the Spanish Cedar will be about 3/8 of an inch:
001.jpg

The following is a picture of the milled walnut and cedar standing side by side:
007.jpg

Here is a rough drawing of my future humidor and it will measure 16" by 10 1/16 with, 8 1/8 h:
008.jpg

The top part of the humidor or lid will be made out of 1/2 Zebra wood. I'll keep you posted with future pictures.

Looking forward to watching this progress. Good luck!

Yes NiteSeer, please continue to post pictures of your progress.

I'm already very interested in your work. I love handmade crafts versus mass production, especially when making a personal item such as a humidor.

You gunna make that top solid zebra?! It's gunna expand across that width and crack your finish and/or warp....
Chris

You gunna make that top solid zebra?! It's gunna expand across that width and crack your finish and/or warp....
Chris

I am going to allow for expansion. I've worked with wood along for a long time and it should be fine.