• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor input and... HELP!

northstarhero

Click to Enlarge

Okay so... I obtained my first humidor back in the beginning of February and soon after I had to upgrade to a larger size. When I did this I went with a Xikar 50ct Humidifier because since the beginning I've heard that crystal humidifiers are the way to go, and my cousin's husband who has been smoking for quite a while raves about them (specifically Xikar) all the time.

I'm not sure just where my problem is, if its in the Xikar or if its with the humidor itself. I've been unable to keep a solid 70%Rh like I'm told Xikar humidifiers do without fail. My hydrometer reads 11% lower than what the actual Rh% is (I've done the salt test to verify this).

I'm unsure about where the problem resides because my humidor has a glass top (its actually plexi-glass or some sort of plastic... I was unaware of this till I got home and took it out of the box). I would think that the glass/plexi-glass top would cause a problem because it could make the temperature inside the humidor change constantly which may affect the Rh constantly. If this is the case I would rather just return it and get a regular one but if THATS not it... than the only other thing I can think it would be is the humidifier...

Just looking for some input/opinions and any past experiences with the clear top humidors. Hope this entry wasn't too scatter brained and someone can help. Thanks everyone!

Whew...so many questions and possible answers in your post. I'll tackle a few of them. First, search the hell out of the archives around here...the questions you've asked and the issues you've raised have been talked about many, many times before. The saying around here is "read more, post less and Search is your Friend". ;)

Okay, now to your humi.

1. Is the analog hygrometer on the front your only gauge? If so, get a digital, adjustable one. Analogs are crap and only for looks. Calibrate it well.
2. Glass top humis are notorious for leaking humidity. (I have a 150 count engraved glass-top that is awesome and humidity tight, though, so I don't fit the stereotype)
3. Get some humidity beads from Heartfelt Industries (search our archive).

Lock -n Lock tupperware makes an EXCELLENT humidor.

Rod sells stuff (anything you need) on the CP shop side of the house. Go browse.

Most importantly, slow down, be calm and know that all will be well. There's too much knowledge around here to worry about not finding answers.

Trey

What is the current reading?

How big is the humidor? (count or dimensions)

How long did you season the humi before adding smokes?

Is the gel in the humidifier properly hydrated, and staying hydrated fairly long?

Do you get the "woosh" when you close the lid? (check your seal, search is your fried)

Humidity typically drops this time of year, especially if you are running heat in the home.

Not knowing the answers to my questions, I would at least make sure the Humidor is properly seasoned.

If you can store you cigars in a tupperware, try recharging the Humidor.

Place a plastic tray or tupperware lid on the bottom of the box (spill protection), then add a smaller but shallow bowl or

tupperware filled with distilled water on the tray.

I would let that sit a few days, minimum. I usually give a week or two. DO NOT throw cigars in there as soon as the

hygrometer reads 70%.

Whew...so many questions and possible answers in your post. I'll tackle a few of them. First, search the hell out of the archives around here...the questions you've asked and the issues you've raised have been talked about many, many times before. The saying around here is "read more, post less and Search is your Friend". ;)

Okay, now to your humi.

1. Is the analog hygrometer on the front your only gauge? If so, get a digital, adjustable one. Analogs are crap and only for looks. Calibrate it well.
2. Glass top humis are notorious for leaking humidity. (I have a 150 count engraved glass-top that is awesome and humidity tight, though, so I don't fit the stereotype)
3. Get some humidity beads from Heartfelt Industries (search our archive).

Lock -n Lock tupperware makes an EXCELLENT humidor.

Rod sells stuff (anything you need) on the CP shop side of the house. Go browse.

Most importantly, slow down, be calm and know that all will be well. There's too much knowledge around here to worry about not finding answers.

Trey

1. Yes the analog is the only gauge in the humi :-\ Looking into getting a xikar digital to go inside though.
2. I was worried that might be a possible factor... it explains the fluxuations in the Rh level. I've been shopping around just in case that might be the probem.
3. Currently searching :-D

Thanks for your help, taking deep breaths lol :)

Thats a good plan.

I'm with Tray, I have a fairly cheap 'glass' top, although some seem to be troubled, mine is great, I find it extremely helpful as I can keep check on the RH without having to open it, just a quick peep into the window, so don't give up on her just yet!

The hygrometers on the front are just junk.

I also use heartfelt beads in mine.

Obtain and calibrate a digital, if you're still under reading, re-season, and when you can - get some beads :)

You might consider checking the sealant on the glass. You could run another bead, remove their bead and do your or, or consider beading the outside also.

Let us know so we can help you.

You may want to calibrate your hygrometer.... Especially analogs, they tend to be off "out of the box"....
Also - during this time of year, depending on where you're from, a lot of humidors struggle to maintain the humidity due to the low humidity caused by heating your home... and the ambient humidity in general is low in the winter time....
Initial seasoning is a must as well.

I have found Cigarmony's Puck is about as good as it gets for a humidifier for a desk top. The material doesn't expand so it's easy to put the correct amount of DW in it and very easy to maintain. And as everyone else has said, the analog hydrometers are junk. What process did you do to season your humi? This is essential to a proper start on a new humi.

If you don't have spare tupperware laying around and need to re-season. I have found that the gallon ziplock freezer bags (the ones with two zippers on them) work well with water pillows to maintain your sticks while re-seasoning. A rather inexpensive option that works well if you don't want to spend the money on extra tupperware or lock-and-locks that you don't already have. By the way, if you do this make sure you put the bag of sticks in a cabinet or somewhere that keeps the chances of sunlight getting to it at a minimum. Just another option. ;)

Mike