• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor is at 70% and 72 degrees

Techdawg2012

Is this ok? It's a desktop and stayes in my room away from daylight. I don't like to put my air below 74 when I'm not hom,e, so is the 72 degrees ok in the humidor?

It's fine. People do different things. Above 73 or 74 you might have to start reconsidering.

Search is your friend :)

70% is a little too wet for my comfort, but you should be fine as long as the temp doesn't go much above 70F. You'll start having mold issues the closer the temp gets to 80F. Personally, I don't let my humidors go above 68% RH, and I allow the temperature to fluctuate in the house anywhere between 62F-78F throughout the year. I keep my humidors at 65%.

Keep in mind, the wetter the cigar (ie: 70%) the less flavor you're going to taste from it. Drop it a few % and you'll notice more flavorful cigars.

Just my opinions based upon my own personal experiences...

Good luck, and welcome to CP.

70% is a little too wet for my comfort, but you should be fine as long as the temp doesn't go much above 70F. You'll start having mold issues the closer the temp gets to 80F. Personally, I don't let my humidors go above 68% RH, and I allow the temperature to fluctuate in the house anywhere between 62F-78F throughout the year. I keep my humidors at 65%.

Keep in mind, the wetter the cigar (ie: 70%) the less flavor you're going to taste from it. Drop it a few % and you'll notice more flavorful cigars.

Thankls! I'll try to lower the humidity. It usually goes from 69-70% I have the 72% Boveda packs in it, maybe i'll use the 69%

Thankls! I'll try to lower the humidity. It usually goes from 69-70% I have the 72% Boveda packs in it, maybe i'll use the 69%

Definitely go with the 69...

I'm with Rod. 70% is too moist for me. I prefer about 67%-68%.

I concur, at 70% the cigars taste more bitter, and tend to go out more in the final third. 65-67% is ideal.

Agree with all of the above. If you're going to have your humi warmer, definitely have the RH lower. You palate will thank you for it.

I've found that the temp is not as easy to control as the RH. Your humidor is succeptible to the ambient temperature in the room. With a good seal, your RH should not really bounce around unless you are opening the humdior too often. I am sure there are devices that are available to regulate the temp but for a desktop or smaller humidor, it's probably more of a hassel than it's worth IMO.

There is information that has already been covered regarding temperature and the effect it has on cigars. Try searching around.

I'm with Rod. 70% is too moist for me. I prefer about 67%-68%.
I'll second that... I try to not let my humidors get above 68, and often before I smoke them I will dry box them further in order to get them down around 62%