• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor just completed

I just finished mine today that I was talking about in an earlier post above: Voila!
Good to see other people taking humidors into their own hands... coolidors work... but there's nothing like a nice wood humidor!
Chris

I like the choice of the exposed hinges to take away the "boxy" look and the corner details are perfect. Fit & finish is exquisite.

What are the dimensions?

Very nice closing mechinism...explain that with a few close up photos on both the door and body.

How will Earl get power inside for humidification?...or is this set up for static humidification?

Great work Dave.
Dimensions: 24H x 18W x 14D
I'll take closeups of the latch mechanism and post them soon. It is my own design. I wanted to have an essentially concealed latch so as not to clutter the front.
I would use static humidification. The unit is VERY well sealed and once conditioned, should hold humidity very well with a modicum of beads.

We are our own worse critics. :thumbs: I really like the old growth woods. Did you know that all the old growth wood in the USA only totals up to 7% of the total of live trees in the country. You'd have a hard time finding pine with such nice figure as whats in your doors now. Again, nice work. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Thanks again!
I am not sure it would be possible to find such a nice piece at all. All the old growth yellow pine has long ago been logged and used. I have never seen grain in pine as tight as these boards. In the quartersawn cross-sections the rings were less than 1/32" apart. That kind of very slow growth never happens anymore in our "managed" forests. Of all the boards I had this was the only one with really interesting grain. I'l have to see what is hiding inside the doors I salvaged once I get around to getting some of the old paint off the big raised panels. (I suspect they are single boards over 20" across so the wood could be really wonderful.)

I may have to take the plunge on one of these next time I strike it rich, Dave. I'm a Pennsylvania native and it would be an honor to have a humidor made of native Pa. wood.

Beautiful work.
Thanks!
When you are ready, I have some really gorgeous PA hardwood that I would love to craft into something classy for you.

Once again Dave, impressed by your work! :)

Sorry for the bump, but finally got registered.

Can not really say how pleased I am of the fine graftsmanship and the gentleman that built it. Very meticulous with attention to detail. But what really set it off was meeting the craftsman in person. Dave is a very gracious and informative person in the world of cigars and humidification.

I am using the 65% beads and it is holding a steady 65 rh and a temp of 69, the temp started off a little low at 63 but the last few days worked up to 69.

Thanks again Dave.

Earl

Sorry for the bump, but finally got registered.

Can not really say how pleased I am of the fine graftsmanship and the gentleman that built it. Very meticulous with attention to detail. But what really set it off was meeting the craftsman in person. Dave is a very gracious and informative person in the world of cigars and humidification.

I am using the 65% beads and it is holding a steady 65 rh and a temp of 69, the temp started off a little low at 63 but the last few days worked up to 69.

Thanks again Dave.

Earl

The pleasure was all mine Earl.

I am glad that it has lived up to my expectations regarding stable humidity with the beads. It should be very stable.

It was great to meet another BOTL and have the chance to do this work for you. I trust it will be a blessing for many years to come.

Dave

I like the choice of the exposed hinges to take away the "boxy" look and the corner details are perfect. Fit & finish is exquisite.

Very nice closing mechinism...explain that with a few close up photos on both the door and body.

Great work Dave.

Here are the latch close-ups I promised.
Here's the latch in the opened position.
gallery_6600_1115_19835.jpg

Here's the latch in the closed position on the inside of the door frame with the door open showing the aluminum piece that fits into the door edge to hold the door shut.
gallery_6600_1115_10186.jpg

Here's the slot the tang goes into on the edge of the door.
gallery_6600_1115_8474.jpg

WOW! That is very impressive!

The use of old wood with history is damn near spiritual! The new owner will have stories to tell over that baby for the rest of his life! :thumbs: