• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Modifications

Man, you could really start a bsuiness out of this. Coolederdors.(I want credit for coming up withthe name!)
For what people spend for a cooled unit (I am about 1/2 through the wait for an Aristocrat Plus with temp control...), it keeps many, many folks out of the market. This, of course, leads to the people storing cigars in sub-optimal conditions, and risking beetles, etc. If you could turn out a cheap version for under 100 bucks, or an advanced one for in the 500 range....I think plenty of folks would buy them. Any thoughts of running a side business? (I don't think it would provide a retirement-worthy lifetime income).

It would be an idea, but at this point I am not able to spend any time trying to get it going. I will however offer my assistance to anyone wishing to modify their own humidor.

The DDC controller I used I cannot sell outside of the western 2/3rds of Kansas. The company that makes them is quite strict about the territories and can and will impose harsh penalties for violating the agreements. That being said, I will research things a bit when I get some time and see if I can come up with another controller that would work.

As I have stated before, I only used the controller because it was available (it is partially defective, user error :) ). This can be done using a common thermostat, or even the Johnson Controls thermostat that several here use for converting refrigerators to humidors.

Don't hesitate to give me a holler if you need some guidance.

Hi! I am brand new here but have been interested in a project like this. My way would defiantly be the dumbed down version. I threw a quick project together and you do get a nice spread. Looks like about 20-25 degrees. My cost is 2 used Peltiers (30mmx30mm) $14 from *bay delivered, (I only used one here but I don’t think you would get good results with a single setup in real life in AZ) used computer 300 watt power supply - free. Couple of used fans and misc heat sinks - free. I just have a couple of concerns. The fans are noisy! The Peltiers dump a lot of heat in the room and where did you find such a nice cabinet for $40. By the way, this is a great site.
Les

http://members.cox.net/lesinaz/pics/pelt2
http://members.cox.net/lesinaz/pics/pelt

Wow gandolf565, great modification. Wish I could do something like that. I'll probably end up just buying a cooling unit.

Thought I would bump this as I have been conversing with a member via PM's.

The source for the cooling units has no more in stock, but they can be acquired from MPJA, MPJA also sells appropriate power supplies for a good price.

I have purchased a pair of the cooling units to install in my humidor (I am going to replace the old one just for aesthetic reasons). I also acquired a pair of larger fans for the hot side.

When I redo things I am going to insulate the back of the cabinet (outside) to isolate the heat from the power supply, the coolers, etc.

Once I get the job finished I'll post pics.

...When I redo things I am going to insulate the back of the cabinet (outside) to isolate the heat from the power supply, the coolers, etc.

What kind of heat loss are you experiencing either on the backside of the humi or the door? Did you do any insulation on the door jam?

Also, did you perform any test to see how long it took for the cooler to lower the empty humi one degree? I'm wondering what kind of performance you are getting in comparison to time.

Great setup! I like the work on the thermo specifically.

As a side note, for alot of people it might just be easier going and picking up a thermo wine cooler. I can't know for sure but I have a feeling that using a wood humi to retain the cooler air is going to be less efficiant than a thermocooler and in turn use more power.

What kind of heat loss are you experiencing either on the backside of the humi or the door? Did you do any insulation on the door jam?

Also, did you perform any test to see how long it took for the cooler to lower the empty humi one degree? I'm wondering what kind of performance you are getting in comparison to time.

Great setup! I like the work on the thermo specifically.

As a side note, for alot of people it might just be easier going and picking up a thermo wine cooler. I can't know for sure but I have a feeling that using a wood humi to retain the cooler air is going to be less efficiant than a thermocooler and in turn use more power.

I have not figured out what the specific heat losses are for any given area. I did use a calculator to deduce that: given my dimensions, worst case of 85f ambient, 70f internal, and no insulation, the required BTU's would be 350 btu/h.
This also assumes a metal enclosure, wood is more insulative than metal so the load will be somewhat lower than the calculator figured.

I will be using 170 btu/h units, for 340 btu/h total. More than enough after my observations last summer with a single 170 btu/h unit.

Power consumption should be about 200 watts going full blast. Most of the time things will be throttled back so the consumption will be lower. Not that bad really!

A wine cooler would definitely be cheaper! I have somewhere close to $500 in this cabinet, that does not include the controller or thermostat. But you would have to agree that this is more pleasing to the eye :)