• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Opinions

Tdfarls1103

Hey. I've been on the look for a cigar humidor, too, and here are the suggestions I have from my experience.

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/mer...code=imperfects
CheapHumidors's imperfects section has discounted humidors that fully function if you don't mind a surface imperfection.

http://www.southsidecigar.com/
SouthsideCigar has some good humidors, too, and the site is run by a member here who is more than willing to help you out on your search.

Now onto the links you posted. I ran across the first one (with the side swinging compartments) while I was looking for a humidor, too. My concern that I had with that one was that you would need a separate humidification device and hygrometer for each side compartment, possibly.

I don't have any experience or many comments about the second link you posted, though, so I'll just leave my post at this.

Good luck on your search. :)

if price isn't the issue the bigger the better I say... you'll be surprised how quickly it fills up!

If I had to chose between these two, I would go with the Genova. However, search high and low for a really good price. I cannot tell you how many times I missed out on a better price.

You might consider second hand sources as well. Craigslist and eBay, for instance, often have very good deals on humidors from people leaving the hobby, upgrading, or whatever the reason for parting ways with their equipment. Just takes a bit o' patience to find the right deal.

This is just my personal uninformed opinion but the Genova Humidor about 3 more seals than I want to worry about. Seems like more potential for problems down the road. Like I said just my opinion though.

woot, just picked up that Ravello imperfect from cheap humis. I already have one but just recently filled it to the brim. It's a good humi for the price.

I'd stay away from the glasstops and I agree with Snoozer about the seals and wear and tear. If I had to choose, I'd pick this one;

HUM-200DL-IMP_th1.gif

LINK

...Now onto the links you posted. I ran across the first one (with the side swinging compartments) while I was looking for a humidor, too. My concern that I had with that one was that you would need a separate humidification device and hygrometer for each side compartment, possibly...
This is just my personal uninformed opinion but the Genova Humidor about 3 more seals than I want to worry about. Seems like more potential for problems down the road. Like I said just my opinion though.

Those two quotations would suggest that the first humidor has too many compartments and would be a bitch to keep humidified.

If I had to chose between these two, I would go with the Genova. However, search high and low for a really good price. I cannot tell you how many times I missed out on a better price.

MandyPi, however, seems to like the humidor.

See I have no clue how much of a difference having some glass on your humidor will make, any idea? Also, im not sure if it would be a huge problem keeping the humidity in with the compartments since that humidor when closed is just one large box. If I were not to get these, any idea of where to get a humidor that holds at least 200, works great and looks beautiful?

See I have no clue how much of a difference having some glass on your humidor will make, any idea? Also, im not sure if it would be a huge problem keeping the humidity in with the compartments since that humidor when closed is just one large box. If I were not to get these, any idea of where to get a humidor that holds at least 200, works great and looks beautiful?

I just got a 40ct Monte #2 humi from cigarbid for 28 bucks. You could do like I do and just keep getting more small ones. Then you'll end up with 3 desktops, a 75ct, and a three drawer glass top. One thing to keep in mind, the more humidor space you have, the more humidor space you want to fill up.

The picture of the Genova just opened, that's purdy. I'd get it. I've got the Valencia, I like it and it keeps humidity better than you'd think, but I do like the looks of the Genova. Depends, the Valencia is good for putting your favorite cigars on top and being able to look at them ever day. The Genova holds more and looks better IMO, but also stands out instead of blending in like the Valencia. Just some things to think about.

do you think the first humidor option i put a link up to would work well?

No doubt it would work well, but with that many seals and depending on daily usage, you could have problems with the hinges later on.
It looks too mechanical, like a robo-humi. There's a lot of wasted space, Also, the lower drawers look like they would need their own humidification device,
but that's just my personal opinion.

This is my first humi, got it off Cheaphumidors.com a while back. Seal/s have been perfect (when closing lid it has that soft cushion, doesn't slam shut). Holds a perfect RH as well. Glass top, glass front with swinging doors. Beautiful 300 ct humi. As I'm sure you've probably read in the countless threads on humis, a 300 ct equivalates to approximately half that many smokes. Mine will hold MAYBE 180 smokes if I stack/pack them just right. Now, if I only put in petit sticks, then maybe upwards 200 or more. I bought this one thinking I was all set to go, maybe a little desktop for everyday smokes so I don't have to continuously open this one. Well, as of today I have this 300 ct, four desktops, one 120 qt coolidor, and two 28 ct wine-a-dors. If you stick around and continue in this hobby, just.....be.....prepared! :laugh:

Buying a humi (online) is a shot in the dark a lot of the time as far as the seal/s unless you go with a very reputable vendor, which there are many of out there. I've purchased several since my first and have not had a bad one yet (well, one is an exception, and I won't go there). I bought one from Ebay from a very kind gentleman who was getting out of cigars (as someone mentioned in a post above). 75-100ct beautiful humi that is by far, IMO, the nicest desktop I have. Came with a DC humidifier as well as a very nice digital hygromater. All for $20 shipped.

You'll pretty much be able to see what you'll be getting when buying, however whether the seal/s work perfectly, you won't know until you get it. If the seal/s aren't perfect, there's ways you can remedy it (again, posted in countless threads). If purchased from a good vendor and you are completely unhappy with it, you could more than likely get it replaced/returned within so many days (probably less shipping though).

Pick the one YOU like and just do it brother! Just remember, when you're trying to stuff that last fiver in it, we told ya so!! :laugh:

I have the Valencia. Works very well with beads from Heartfelt. I have a digital hygrometer and i like that I can see my sticks and the RH by looking through the top.

I have had this about 8 Months. I like it. Just my .02
The other one looks very cool to

That link you just posted seems nice. I don't know quite the reason people would be against glass-top humidors other than the fact that there's less wood surface area and maybe if some temperature changes happened suddenly condensation might build up pretty badly on the glass?

I would get one of the adjustable hygrometers on either one of these pages:
http://heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=10
http://www.southsidecigar.com/catalog/inde...j4bcthc5s7pomt2

I think many here will stress the importance of an adjustable hygrometer. Your hygrometer may be off by many points, and the ability to reset it to the correct humidity will definitely make it easier for your to check your humidity.

Also, the adjustable hygrometers are, I think, "thermo-hygrometers" that display temperature and RH, so you don't have to worry about giving up temperature for adjustability. (I might be wrong though if there's something more involved with a hygrometer being "thermo-" other than the fact that it displays temperature.)

Edit:
Ok, so I thought I'd leave this subject alone, but I've decided to revisit it incase you're seeing that humidor differently. I'm afraid that the Genova (http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/cigar-...novaenlarge.htm) won't be easy to humidify because it has three separate compartments. The center and the two side compartments. It seems to me (you might know otherwise) that when you close all of the compartments, the humidor does not become one interconnected box but rather a box of three separated compartments that you will have to humidify differently. Now for ease of use, I think that this design would be problematic. But, I thought, on the other hand, that if you want kind of a "ready to smoke" humidor without having to buy another humidor, you could use on of the side compartments as that "ready to smoke" areas because they're shut off from the rest of the humidor.

Now if I'm wrong and there's somehow an airflow connection between the side compartments and the center portion when everything is closed, then please excuse my ignorant comments. Otherwise, I hope the above paragraph will help you with your decision. I actually think it might be kinda cool to have a "ready to smoke" humidor connected to my storage humidor, hah!

I agree with you that the humidification of that humidor may be problematic which is why Im hesitant. I want to make sure I get a quality humidor and Im not sure if the glass will actually affect the humidity or if thats a myth. I mean this link is the best deal :

http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/cigar-...illeenlarge.htm

because it retails for about $400 plus but if there will be problems with the windows maybe thats not the way to go. I mean even though its not ideal, maybe going with a 150ct woul dbe better without all the glass, specifically either
http://www.thecigarstore.com/Humidors/main/Cuban-Exotica.htm
or
http://www.thecigarstore.com/Humidors/main/Executive.htm