• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Opinions

I have this unit that is about the same size as the Valencia.

Ravello

This one is a little bigger, but it may be harder to get to the cigars in the bottom as it is kind of deep, but it holds a lot. This will definitely hold more than the other ones you have listed or the Ravello.

Medici

I can do a little better on the price on that one, but the stock is low, as well if you are interested.

As I said in my PM, I can give you a better price than what is listed. I think either this one or the Valencia will work well, but as stated earlier, neither will likely actually hold 300 cigars (depends on the size you smoke as to how many you will actually get).

Dave

Thanks for your help with this, i really appreciate it! What would you recommend in your opinion, getting a 150ct humidor and putting all my singles and fivers in there or getting a larger one like a 200-300ct one. Personally I usually dont buy full out boxes as I like to have a couple of each cigar I like, not just a whole box of 1 type of cigar.

The difference in size between a 150ct and a 200-300ct is not that big actually. It sounds like a 300ct should be twice the size of a 150ct, but it is usually not. That is why I say you will be surprised at what will actually end up fitting in any of the advertised counts.
A 200-300ct will be good for keeping singles in, but you will need something to store boxes in. Even though you state that you don't buy full boxes, my guess is that will change. When you find a cigar you like, it is much more cost affective to buy boxes then to by singles and 5ers.
You could buy either of the above sizes for singles and start with a cooler for storing boxes, as the cooler is pretty cost effective, although not very pretty depending on where you are going to keep these units.
Or, you could buy either of the above units and decide what to do once you run out of room. To buy a bigger unit like an end table or tower, is going to be more money, and unless you are pretty sure you are going to amass a larger collection, may not be what you want to do at this time.
You really can't go wrong either way, many of us started with a 50ct desktop, then bought a 100ct desktop, and then another, and then a small end table, and then a larger tower type unit. Some people keep all the units, some people sell as they upgrade, and some people gift the smaller units to friends and colleagues as they get into the hobby.
For a lot less money than the 300 ct units, which you will likely outgrow anyway, you can get a simple 100ct desktop to see how it goes as far as filling it up.
For example, I carry a simple Cherry or Burlwood standard 100ct desktop for $49.

100ct Desktop

This is your basic desktop box that holds roughly 100 sticks. It might be something like this that is the most cost effective to see where you end up. Just a thought.
Remember, that in the 200-300 ct desktop range, you are paying for some fancy designs and things that may not be worth the money.

Dave

Im worried about sacrificing quality for size. It seems as though at the very least there is potential for a lot of problems down the road with the large 200-300ct desktop humidors. What I am thinking is to buy a 150ct humidor that looks nice and store whatever cigars I buy in there whether it be taking them out of the boxes or whatever and once that fills up make a decision about whether to get a coolidor or a larger humidor

Im worried about sacrificing quality for size. It seems as though at the very least there is potential for a lot of problems down the road with the large 200-300ct desktop humidors. What I am thinking is to buy a 150ct humidor that looks nice and store whatever cigars I buy in there whether it be taking them out of the boxes or whatever and once that fills up make a decision about whether to get a coolidor or a larger humidor
So I think you're running down the same road I did (and do). I've asked a lot of questions about humidors and cigars, and I've gotten a response of "it's your taste in the end" back each time.

This humidor will be your purchase, not ours. We're all glad to give you all the advice we can, but we can't make the decision for you. Your personal situation that you know intimately may be different from our situations. I know I've ordered a 300 count Ravello (Dave from Southside Cigar put a link to one in one of his psots) because I've decided that that particular humidor fits me best because of the cost I got it at and the features and size that it has. Your own conception of what you need/want will be different from ours, so you will need to figure that out yourself. :)

Now as to the quality for size question, I was always under the impression that usually the larger sizes have better quality, but I'm not sure about this at all. I think Dave can properly answer that question.

Feel free to ask more questions, though! I know I'm not an expert by any means, so I'd be interested in seeing what the FOG's around here have as answers to your dilemmas.

Edit: Changed some wording.

Im worried about sacrificing quality for size. It seems as though at the very least there is potential for a lot of problems down the road with the large 200-300ct desktop humidors.

What are the sacrifices and problems? Curious because I'm outgrowing my three humidors already....

Southside, what do you think? Do you think that the larger ct. humidors are in general the same/higher/or lower quality than the smaller humidors?

Well I've been hearing about a lot of potential problems, specifically if there's glass ont he humidor that it may lead to troubles keeping humidity. Another potential problem would be hinges which are on some of the larger humidors which could could problems with the seal

Hey guys, I am hoping for a little help here. I have a 50ct small humidor, however its not the best nor is it big enough. I have been looking on a number of sites that sell larger humidors and I wanted your opinions on what you like the best in terms of functionality as well as look. Here are the ones I have liked so far:

http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/cigar-...novaenlarge.htm

Side compartments DO NOT seal and the pins that allow the ‘trays’ to swivel down have a tendency to fall out.
Only the top compartment locks, the drawers are separate from the top essentially making it two humi’s in one so you will need humidification for top and bottom.

The drawers have no seal.

My suggestion is go to a b&m so you can put your hands on some humi's and look at the construction in person OR get a cooler and beads.

Also, for a humidor that size, I calculated that it would be 1289.7675 cu inches which equates to between 2-3oz of beads. I was thinking about getting 3-4 oz of beads to be sure. Should I just get the beads and somehow convert them into the original humidification device that the humidor comes in, or should i buy this:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddet...rod=AH%5F2%5F65
I'm getting my humidor soon, and I'll repost when I figure out how hard it is to convert the original humidification device. I ordered 8oz. of beads without any bags or anything, so I'm going to try my hand at converting. From what I understand, the humidification devices that normally come with the humidors we're looking at are filled with foam. You can, apparently, rip out the foam and put beads in there if you want.

Hey guys, I am hoping for a little help here. I have a 50ct small humidor, however its not the best nor is it big enough. I have been looking on a number of sites that sell larger humidors and I wanted your opinions on what you like the best in terms of functionality as well as look. Here are the ones I have liked so far:

Side compartments DO NOT seal and the pins that allow the ‘trays’ to swivel down have a tendency to fall out.
Only the top compartment locks, the drawers are separate from the top essentially making it two humi’s in one so you will need humidification for top and bottom.
Can't disagree with you about the side compartments and the pins, but I thought that the drawers and the top were connected through the slits on the bottom of the top compartment?

Also, for a humidor that size, I calculated that it would be 1289.7675 cu inches which equates to between 2-3oz of beads. I was thinking about getting 3-4 oz of beads to be sure. Should I just get the beads and somehow convert them into the original humidification device that the humidor comes in, or should i buy this:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddet...rod=AH%5F2%5F65
I'm getting my humidor soon, and I'll repost when I figure out how hard it is to convert the original humidification device. I ordered 8oz. of beads without any bags or anything, so I'm going to try my hand at converting. From what I understand, the humidification devices that normally come with the humidors we're looking at are filled with foam. You can, apparently, rip out the foam and put beads in there if you want.

Can't disagree with you about the side compartments and the pins, but I thought that the drawers and the top were connected through the slits on the bottom of the top compartment?

The problem is that humidity rises. Balancing and maintaining RH between the top and bottom compartments and drawers with only one brick in the humi lid of this model will be a challenge at best.

Which is why I am thinking about going to a smaller 150 ct humidor instead, so that it limits the difficulty of maintaining the humidity

I would go a bit bigger than 150ct. I have the Ravello (have a second one on the way) and it doesn't fit 300sticks for me but does give me ample room and it easy to maintain. I never thought I would be filling that anytime soon but when you start making box purchases things fill up fast.

You sure can. The hard part can be cracking the original humidification devices open.

The bigger humidors aren't always of better quality. Almost all of the humidors you get at places online are imports and the quality can vary from unit to unit of the same design let alone each model.

In my experience with humidors, the simpler the better. The more you have to do to maintain humidity and the like will, I repeat WILL, take away from the enjoyment of this hobby. If you're constantly fretting about your humidor it makes it difficult to fully enjoy a smoke.

Glass doesn't necessarily create problems with holding humidity. The main problem I've had with glass tops is in temperature moderation and the light hitting the cigars. I want them in the dark and I don't want quick swings in temperature. Glass is problematic in both regards.

Ultimately it is up to you and the design you like. There could be issues with ALL of the units you've linked. If you want a worry free experience, you're better off getting a cooler and beads.

I think it has been covered a number of times in this thread, but the size of a humidor is not related to quality. I stated earlier to the original poster that I thought that for the price difference to go from a 100 or 150ct humidor to a 200 or 300 ct humidor, it might not be worth it. You are really not getting double the storage. Also a lot of the 200 - 300 ct humidors are designed with a lot of drawers and compartments that open and close. This can lead to problems in maintaining RH. If you go bigger, like an end table or tower unit, they get back to one or 2 large compartments that become easier to maintaint.
Tdfarls1103,
The last 2 units you showed seem to be normal desktop units. If you are happy with the price, size and look, then they should work fine.

Dave

I agree completely. I ended up going with the 150ct executive humidor from cuban crafters. Very nice and had great reviews. I also bought a 4oz. tube of 65% beads along with the adjustable ditigal hydrometer.