• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HUMIDOR PROBLEM...TOO MUCH?

ACDetroit

Hey guys, I picked up a new humidor a little over a month ago and went through the seasoning process I read here, picked up a digital Hygrometer and was very happy with the 70/70 results I had received. It stayed this way for a few weeks so I thought all was good.

Started buying some sticks to add and yeah it holds 100 and yes you are all right it's too small! I am working on the cool-ador as we speak! I have the 100qt Coleman with 1 pound of 65% beads and a buddy is working on some shelves.

My issue I'm having is the 100 count Bally I bought has increases humidity to 75% and holding since the temps have dropped and the heat has been on in the house!

1. Is 75% too high? I think it will be.

2. I pulled the Xikar gel humidification unit out last night and it was still reading 75% in the humidor this mooring (if I open the lid the digital does go down...so I don't think it's broke). Should I do the salt test on the Digital?

3. The beads for the cooler are loose (in a bag), should I move some of them into the humidor? What can I put them in that will not touch the sticks in there?

4. Am I over reacting? Is 75% common in cold climate areas and should I just dry box them for a day before smoking?

Thanks you all for the wealth of knowledge you share here. Seems I find myself reading and reading and still do not have close to the knowledge you all have.

Regards,
Tony

I just looked up your area, and Wunderground is saying you guys have 93% humidity. As such, i assume your hygro is accurate. linky

If i was you, I would dry out the beads with a hair dryer and set them in the humi. i assume the xikar silica is one way (only adds moisture), but the beads will absorb the moisture also.

Good luck

I don't think its a good idea to dry the beads with a hair dryer,
you might damage the beads.

As for the 75% RH,its not that high.
I keep my cigars at 75% RH,its all about how moist do you like your cigars.

Nah, hair dryer won't hurt the beads at all. Your new cigars are what drove the RH up. It ain't no big thing. Dry the beads - till they're just starting to turn an opaque white, and put them back in. Retail storage, either in the walk-in of your favorite B&M or warehouse storage at your Internet vendor run WAY wet.

Yours is a relatively small humidor. Half a dozen sticks from a wet walk-in are enough to drive your RH up 10 points or more. It's time to start shopping for a larger humi, or to get yourself seperate storage to keep new sticks till they dry out a little.

It has always been my understanding that as the temps drop and winter comes along the RH, especially in your house drops considerably. Maybe that's a misconception, I'm not sure, but I would think it odd that your humidity spiked now that it's winter. Especially in MI.

It has always been my understanding that as the temps drop and winter comes along the RH, especially in your house drops considerably. Maybe that's a misconception, I'm not sure, but I would think it odd that your humidity spiked now that it's winter. Especially in MI.

That's my understanding as well, plus the heat being on in the house drys the air even more. The only possibility is if you have forced air heat with a central humidifier that is pumping too much humidity into the house.

I agree, in the winter my humidity in the house drops. Current it stands at 37%. My humidity in my humidor is sitting at 62%. It is always hard for me to keep it at 65% in the winter.

Thanks guys! I have removed the Xikar gel pack and will post if humidity has dropped when I get home tonight.

Bruce and Skisomalia, thanks for the insight, I will dry the beads and place them in there in a dish or ramekin!

Bruce you nailed it on the head! I have added 30 to 40 new sticks from B&M's via some mail ordering, so that might explain the spike. The cooler will be ready Monday so I will move some stuff into it and hopefully resolve my problem.

We do have a humidifier in the furnace so yes the humidity in the house could be high. I will check into the % this weekend. I do know the stairs to the basement do not squeak when I walk on them so the humidity is in the house.

Thanks for all the helpful hints and I'll keep you posted.

Tony

Hey Tony,
I flailed around myself with sudden worry over spiking humidity recently, and after posting a panic thread asking questions about the beads, found out about patience! :laugh: I'd heard of it, I'd read about it, but hadn't actually experienced it myself...I'm here to say, it does wonders. Your beads will work fine, they just need some time to do their job, and if the bag they're in touch your sticks, no worries. Heartfelt has some empty tubes you can fill to make nice organized additions to your humi. Happy smoking, and watch that NullSmurf guy...he has a tendency to make sense :cool:

Trey

Thanks Trey! I did read that thread and thought about posting my question there but had a fear of soap boxing on your corner.

Patience? I better check out Wiki on this one! Not sure I know what that is either :laugh: ! My dad had a poster on the wall in our garage as a kid growing up with 2 vultures on a branch on the desert...One looks at the other and says "Patience my @$$, I'm gonna kill something!

I too have read much from the Nullsmurf and respect his advice as well! I have recvieved a few PM's as well with good information (Thanks to those folks as well).

Thanks for the help.

Tony

Ok you guys Rock!

I came home, only to find the humidor still at 75%!!! So I grabbed a small baby food jar filled it with 65% RH beads and hit them with the wifes hair drier. Glad she was not home yet, might have been made fun of.
I left the Xikar gel pack out and just put the beads in, we left for a few hours...our 3 year old had a recital at church for Christmas. So we just get home I look and what does the digital Hygrometer read?

70-71 I'm hoping it will come down and stabilize after a day or so.

Very nice! Any idea what to do with the Xikar gel pack now? Would it be ok to keep it in the cooler when it's finished or just use beads alone?

I need to get this Cooler done quick! I have boxes in a buddy humidor and received 3 boxes of Oliva "V" Maduros tonight and 2 Samplers from Oliva free with my order!

Thanks again everyone for you help...in fixing the humidity in my humidor and feeding my addiction for having good smoke around!

Tony