• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor RH is dropping

crvinyo23

Hey everyone. I was wondering if someone might have some ideas on how to solve my Humidor problem.

The humidor is about a year old. I took the time to properly season it and up untill a few weeks ago the RH has been really consistant. I am averaging about 65 to 69 RH.

I am currently using the gel jar with the glycol. however over the last few weeks as the RH has dropped, ranging from 58 to 60. I know the seal is good. just tonight I took out the cigars and have them in big plastic food storage bags and I wiped down the whole humidor with distilled water again hoping this will help.

does anyone have any suggestions for me. I mean I only have about 80 to 100 cigars in that humidor and was told that the jar of gel that I am using is more than enough.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Did you recently add new cigars to the humidor?
Maybe the the gel you are using isn't enough anymore
and you need more water source in there.

Are you using an Analog Hygrometer or a digital one?

There might not be anything wrong with your Humidity. You might just need to recallobrate your Hygrometer.

Plus, I wouldn't really freak out about the humidity. Just make sure you don't put too much moisture in the Humidor. Mold would be the worst thing to happen to your cigars than having dry cigars.

Andrew

Have you checked the RH in the house? Your a New Englander like myself usually when the heat is on in the winter the RH goes down. Adjust accordingly.

Brian

How often are you opening the humidor, and how big is it? I'm assuming a desktop humidor, approx 100 ct?

How are you recharging the gel jar humidifier - with PG or distilled water?

I am currently using PG in the gel.

the room is actually not very warm beeucase I keep the door closed during the day so the dogs dont get in there so the room averages between 66 and 72 degrees.

I am using a digital HG.

I have not added any new cigars recently and have been so busy I have not smoke any in almost a month so I have not opened it. I just have been checking everyday to see if it would go up or down and its holding pretty steady at about 58 to 60 RH.

there are 2 cigars where the wrapper has become to dry and split. thankfully not more but I would like to get it back to about 67RH.

I did check it this morning and it was up to 62 but I have a feeling when I add the cigars back its going to drop back down, so I am buying another humidfier today from cigars international

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDis...MC06&cat=10

this will fit in perfectly in the humidor and not take up a cigar room.

Try not to open it everyday. Give it at least a few days before opening. Also, if need be, put a shot glass of distilled water in there to help bring up the RH. Don't leave the shot glass in there for too long, as you'll end up over humidifying the cigars.

Welcome to the dry season. If you're opening it quite a bit with the air being dry and just the general low humidity in the air around the humidor, the RH will less than what it is in the summer. Humidors also are not air tight, and if you're adding new cigars they will suck up the humidity. Remember, cigars are like sponges!

I add the little (or big) stone bricks to my humidors in the winter, works well for me, I take them out in when the humidity rises.

Hey everyone. I was wondering if someone might have some ideas on how to solve my Humidor problem.

The humidor is about a year old. I took the time to properly season it and up untill a few weeks ago the RH has been really consistant. I am averaging about 65 to 69 RH.

I am currently using the gel jar with the glycol. however over the last few weeks as the RH has dropped, ranging from 58 to 60. I know the seal is good. just tonight I took out the cigars and have them in big plastic food storage bags and I wiped down the whole humidor with distilled water again hoping this will help.

does anyone have any suggestions for me. I mean I only have about 80 to 100 cigars in that humidor and was told that the jar of gel that I am using is more than enough.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

What has changed since you had stable RH? Think about it.

58-60 sounds about right to me. Try smoking at that rh. You may be surprised.

If I can keep the humidity at %60 during the winter months I'm happy.

thank you everyone. from the sounds of it the drop in RH is expected in the winter. I mean that certianly makes sense with the weather being drier.

I have tried smoking them at this RH and they are just as good the only thing I worry about is the wrappers splitting. smoking a cigar when the wrapper is falling apart is not fun.

Go patriots.

My humidor sits spot on at 65 all summer. Ever since the winter hit it is usually at 58 if not a tad higher. I was worried for a few until I smoked some and the burn and taste was quite nice so I no longer let it bother me.

My humidor sits spot on at 65 all summer. Ever since the winter hit it is usually at 58 if not a tad higher. I was worried for a few until I smoked some and the burn and taste was quite nice so I no longer let it bother me.
....exactly.

Ask ten guys what RH they prefer and you'll get answers anywhere from 58 to 75%. IMHO A few points either way really doesn't matter at all. It's certainly nothing to stress out over.

When the heat comes on for the winter and the RH drops like a rock, I used to take the little sponge humidifier that came with my desktop and wet it with distilled water and put it in the humi for a few days. That would usually do the trick. When it gets really cold outside and really dry inside, I'd put a shot glass with distilled water in for a couple of days.

Good Luck - B.B.S.