• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor tips

texasaggie

Need a drink...
Ok, I just got my new 300 count humidor and I replaced the foam for the crystals in the humidifiers, and I can't seem to get them to stay affixed to the lid, they use magnets.

Also, my hygrometer was about 20% off, is that normal? I got a digital one and tested it, and it shows that the other one is that far off.

And last, but not least, my humidor came with 3 cedar dividers that have some sort of foam on the ends to wedge them in place, it all came off the first time I put them in, and now they don't stay in, they're too short to touch the sides without something. I'm wondering what is acceptable to use in it's place that doesn't have any chemicals that will taint the cigars.

Thanks in advance for the help. :) :) :thumbs:

I had the same problem with magnets sticking to top of humidor lid, the stick'um they use just don't cut it. So when I asked before what to do I was told to use Elmer's Glue, I would light sand the area first.
Can't remeber if a specific type was named but I would presume regular althought they do make a wood glue also.

Thanks, I was thinking about using a strong double sided tape, but am worried there might be some chemicals in the adhesives that might be given off, or would break down with the humid environment. ???

I have found that a lot of the hyrgometers that come with the humis are nice looking to an extent, but totally useless. As I moved the lid the humidity would change 10%. Um, I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't fluctuate that much. I would go with the digital.

I mean when I tested it out of the box with the salt test, it registered about 95% humidity, and the digital registered about 78%, so I adjusted it, and I have it in the lid, so it looks nice, and fills the hole for it, and have the digital in the bottom under the tray, and they measure about the same. :)

You could brace the dividers with wood from a cigar box

Bill

No to completely jack this thread...but something sort of related, that I thought I'd share for your entertainment purposes...

There's a guy who OWNS a cigar/pipe store here in the Miami area...South Miami/Coral Gables/Coconut Grove area...who has his walk-in humidifier running on complete overtime. I mean, you walk in the damn thing and it's like those "water-misters" that you find on some of the restaurants of South Beach and Lincoln Road/Ocean Drive (or some amusement parks). It's unreal. Everything, and I mean everything, is coated with tiny persperation/water beads. It's totally and completely tragic and I don't know how he stays in business - there are only SO many people who are that totally clueless. You don't even want to know the condition of those sticks that aren't in cellophane.

Go figure. I walk in there from time to time just to see if it's ever improved, and it never does. When I asked the guy, "Hey fella, don't you think 98% is a little high?", he just looked at me, mumbled "Eh, it's a matter of taste" and looked away.

Yes, I'd like two completely split and unravelled Zino platniums and four moss covered Opus' please. :sign:

luckily I don't have that problem, although the weather down here is terrible right now, lots of flooding, and a few tornadoes every couple days. The humidity right now is about 98% outside and 75% inside. The humidor didn't take longer than one night to season, I shouldn't have to fill the humidifiers much. :p :D

I just think it’s amusingly ironic that an aggie is requesting info on the calibration of a hygrometer and the mechanics of adhering various materials to one another. I thought you guys were all engineering wizards. ;) :p

:sign: :sign: :sign:
I’m just yanking your chain. I know the school’s programs go well beyond Ag. and Mech. these days. And, no I don't have anything constructive to add. :p :D

Yeah, yeah, well, I was a Maritime Administration major, I'm in the shipping business, so I know how much it costs to ship very large things. Although, they say Aggies tell the best Aggie jokes. :D :D :thumbs:

Best mounting method IMO for creedo style humidifiers inside a desktop humidor... VELCRO!! :)

Kryo said:
Best mounting method IMO for creedo style humidifiers inside a desktop humidor... VELCRO!! :)
What Kryo said. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a package of the heavy-duty Velcro, problem solved.

Try this heavy duty velcro. It will hold hygrometers and even the heaviest passive humidifying units. I have one holding an extra large Diamond Crown, and another one holding a large Credo.

JK