• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Tray

Ryan81

I would assume many, many of you have run into this.

I have a new 100 count humidor up and running. Like most 100 count humidors I've seen, mine came with a tray. Curious as to whether or not this tray would have an effect on the RH in various areas of the humidor, I started taking readings.

I have observed that when I take a reading from my hygrometer when placed on the tray, the RH has been between 70% and 73% RH. When I take a reading from the hygrometer when placed below the tray, I get readings between 63 and 65%.

I assume this variance in humidity readings is due to the fact that the hygrometer is closer to the humidification beads than it is when the hygrometer is placed below.

I understand that my humidity readings are well within those recommended, but I would like my cigars to be stored at about 65% RH throughout.

Should I take the tray out giving up the extra cigar separation that the tray offers in order to get my humidity levels more constant throughout?

Or

Will the humidity eventually become constant throughout if I just leave the damn thing alone for a couple of days?

Is there any reason to put some beads below the tray in addition to the beads on the lid? Has anyone out there done this?

This is a newbs thought process so forgive me if its too far fetched! When seasoning your humi did you wipe down the interior walls with a damp sponge? If so did you also wipe down the tray? If not is it possible that the "dry" tray is "stealing" some of the humidity? Im not sure if this is your problem but it might be something to possibly think about..

The problem with solid trays and multi level humidors is that they do not allow a completley even RH for a variety of reasons. When it comes to a tray, if there are not slats or holes to allow the flow of air and moisture though, you only end up with what can seep through the wooden tray, or what moisture is held in the wood itself at the bottom. You must open up the tray a bit and allow for circulation. Or, you might get an individual humidificaiton device for the bottom level. If you really wanted to get fancy you could run one a little more wet or dry. A guy at my local B&M does that with his personal humi.

Get yourself one of those Oust fans, put it in your humi and relax and spark up a stick! I found some of these fans on ebay, but you can also get them through some cigar sites such as Heartfelt.

They come with the perfume stuff, but just don't install it. I believe they are set to blow for 5 minutes, then off for 15 minutes, or something to that effect.

I think I paid $12 for 2 of them or something like that. They even come with the battery!

Get yourself one of those Oust fans, put it in your humi and relax and spark up a stick! I found some of these fans on ebay, but you can also get them through some cigar sites such as Heartfelt.

They come with the perfume stuff, but just don't install it. I believe they are set to blow for 5 minutes, then off for 15 minutes, or something to that effect.

I think I paid $12 for 2 of them or something like that. They even come with the battery!

I think an Oust fan would take up an awful lot of real estate in a 100 count humi.

I leave the tray in when I have the room for it. The extra wood helps buffer humidity and I like the "to be smoked next" selection I rotate to the top tray(s). I take the tray out when excess cigar inventory allows no room for it. I don't pay much attention to varying humidity ranges within small desktop humidors (100 count and less - what I consider small). The more cigars in your enclosed desktop space, the more uniform its humidity will be.

I think an Oust fan would take up an awful lot of real estate in a 100 count humi.

Good point, never thought of that. Mine is a 300 ct, so I have plenty of room for the oust fan. Although, I have to say, it's getting a little cramped lately. Luckily, my humi isn't completely rectangular, so there is an area at the front that even the churchhills won't stretch all the way. Leaves me a little room for my fan.

If you're using the cheap floral foam humidifier that came with your humidor, I would suggest upgrading to the Puck or gel jar. Both tend to regulate/maintain RH much better. The Puck is made with RH beads, so you can't go wrong. I leave the trays in my desktops, and they work fine. Don't be too concerned about maintaining 70% RH all the time. Cigars tend to smoke best around 65%.

Yeah, I have the Heartfelt beads in my new humidor, and xikar gel in my first humidor. I guess from reading various forums and posts, I know that the range of humidity I'm in is OK.....was just curious as to whether others have encountered this, and if equilibrium was eventually reached.

Since my original post, I have placed an old humidifier unit with beads below the tray in addition to the unit on the lid. I haven't take a reading from below since putting additional beads below. Will let you all know how it goes......

Thanks