• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidors and de-humidifers...

TxdoHawk

The topic just about sums it up. I'm nabbing a 75-100 count humidor soon, as well as some of the much-lauded Viper beads, as they seem to be foolproof. However, we have a dehumidifier that we have to run quite a bit in the summer months to keep the house bearable (4-5 hours a day in the really bad humid weather), else we'd be running the AC non-stop during the day. My current plan is to keep the humidor in a closet. The closet door is full of large "vents" so airflow should not be a problem. However, the dehumidifer is kept around the corner, one room over. Will this have a severe negative effect on my humidor? If it would just require me to "refill" the viper beads a little more often, that wouldn't be a big deal. What I'm worried about is actively ruining the environment inside the humidor and damaging cigars.

The other option is keeping said humidor in my room, two rooms away from the dehumidifier, but the airflow in there is very poor and the room is subject to wide swings in temperature and humidity during the summer months. So, I'm even more hesitant to put it in there.

So I turn to you, the cigar experts. Will the dehumidifier have an adverse effect on my humidor?

I figure if the seal on your humi is good you shouldn't have a problem...
If you are concerned I would block the vents on the closet door to keep a barrier between your humi and the dehumidifier.
I would only do it if you were extremely paranoid.

Just keep an eye on your RH%...
Make sure you season your new humi properly...
If you learn anything from here you are starting very small, too small perhaps... I would get a cooler instead!

Good luck!
-Rob

well, the beads will still maintain the humidity you want. just make sure your hygyrometer is accurate (salt test) and keep an eye on it. when it drops, check the beads. you will probably be watering the beads more often than usual. another way to help this is to get more beads than recommended for that size of humidor. depending on the seal of the humidor the rewetting period could be average or very short. good luck, and enjoy filling it up!!

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll grab a size larger tube of Viper beads, that sounds like a good suggestion...and drop by my RadioShack for a wireless electronic hygrometer, since they seem to be both on sale and highly-reccomended from people here.

- Mike

Does it have a set point. I was living 100 yards from the Intercoastal and ran a de-humidifier all the time. I set it to %60 and forgot it. No probs what so ever.

Emo

Does it have a set point. I was living 100 yards from the Intercoastal and ran a de-humidifier all the time. I set it to %60 and forgot it. No probs what so ever.

Emo

No set point, unfortunately. This thing is definitely low-end (and on its last legs...the dial is broken so you have to plug it and unplug it to turn it on/off... :laugh:). I figure at worst, I'll just find a better place for the humi if need be. Doesn't sound like I will have too much in the way of problems, though.