• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidors in dry climates

Dr. Marneaus

I drive a station wagon
So, I live in las vegas, in a dorm. It's dry as hell here, as i'm sure you all can understand.

Does the humidity level of the surrounding area have a great effect on my humidor? I feel like I've seasoned them well, but they always seem to be a bit dry, any suggestions?

I'm running them on heart feldt beads, but they seem to dry up....

Add more beads? Keep a shotglass of water in the box? Keep a humidor sponge in the box?

I'm not sure if it's me, or the climate, or the humidors themselves. I'm in the process of re-seasoning my bigger one, but I seasoned my little 20 count this past month, and it held tight for a while, but it seems to have dipped down now that i've returned.

Help the newb.

When I ran a desktop and it would get really dry (in the winter when the forced air heat ran a lot), I'd take one of the little sponge humidifiers, moisten it with distilled water, and put it in the humidor until the RH got up to 68% or so. I'd pull it out and let things coast down to 62% or so, at which time I'd put the sponge / DI back in the humidor. Usually about two weeks in, two weeks out, etc. Worked like a champ..... :cool:

Good luck - B.B.S.

I'm having a similar problem here in the winter time...my advice is to use 70% beads and use alot of them, as well as watering more frequently.
My humi was down to 58% recently using 65% beads...adding a tonne of beads and water I now got it to 62% which is pretty much ideal imho.

I've got the same problem with both of my desktops, I just added more humidifying elements until could maintain the desired rh.
Goodluck.

John

guess i gotta get me a ton more beads.

edit: K, jusr ordered a half pound of loose beads, that should hold me over for a while, and be enough for my new humi too (coming this spring)

Glad to see this thread posted. I have been having the same problem with my desk top and it sounds like I'm not alone.

yeah, sadly there has not been a whole lot of replies to it.

i'm aggressively seasoning it right now, new beads should be here by saturday (hoorah for heartfellt being in carson city) and i'll report on my findings

I switch to 70% media in the winter and never get that high, usually around 68 and only for a week or so until I have to add more water. I guess the seal on my desktop is not the best but I can go a month or more in the summer at a rock solid 65% with 65% beads. Who the hell knows. :laugh: