• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hurricane Florence

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
help me out with this, it’s hurricane season. We have category 4 hurricanes every year. However the weather guys and the news guys are flipping out with this one. They give the impression that it is Armageddon like. My questions are: what is so special about this hurricane that makes it different from other category 4 hurricanes? Is this just hype to keep people glued to the tv or is this one really different from other hurricanes?

I have a hard time they way news presents information and the hype the attach to normal occurrences. Seems a little Chicken Little to me but what do I know?
Thanks for your perspective.

The weather folks seem to get a boner over hurricanes, because they are able to track them for so long before they hit. Gives them a chance to be the most important person in the room, and they just overdo it because they get so much wrong otherwise. I guess it gives them an ego boost thinking their fifteen minutes will matter later.

Welp.

20140922_111920.jpg

One difference NOW of course is the increase in ocean temps from climate change---putting more thermal energy into the winds, and a fuckton more available moisture into the storm. Remember, Harvey set a record for rainfall in Houston. By a LOT.

Basically it all just means that storms will be more frequent, more fierce, and a whole lot wetter from now on.

~Boar

help me out with this, it’s hurricane season. We have category 4 hurricanes every year. However the weather guys and the news guys are flipping out with this one. They give the impression that it is Armageddon like. My questions are: what is so special about this hurricane that makes it different from other category 4 hurricanes? Is this just hype to keep people glued to the tv or is this one really different from other hurricanes?

I have a hard time they way news presents information and the hype the attach to normal occurrences. Seems a little Chicken Little to me but what do I know?
It's supposed to hang over the area for quite sometime resulting in a lot of rain, up to 24in.

Doc

The main reason for the "hype" is to get people in the more vulnerable areas to heed warnings. The emergency responders generally wind up in harms way because many people fail to understand the devastating affects of the storm surge.

It seems that people these days are far less likely to heed common sense advice. This storm is on track to be extremely dangerous and drop (from what I read) up to 8 months worth of rain in 3 days. Thats a pretty big deal. And issue comes when people don't feel like they have to listen to warnings and evacuation orders and the result is a higher casualty rate than needs to be. Even if people survive, chances are flooding and power loss will increase difficulty for rescue efforts. Hurricanes are one of the few track-able weather events that allow people time to prepare and plan. When people decide they can out smart nature, that's when problems occur.

Thanks. I asked partially because im supposed to head down to Charleston SC Saturday for a family beach trip. Im still hopeful that we’ll get to go if not for an abbreviated trip. I already have my Cigars packed (that’s the only thing packed at the moment) and am trying to decide if I should crack into the stash or wait.

Thanks. I asked partially because im supposed to head down to Charleston SC Saturday for a family beach trip. Im still hopeful that we’ll get to go if not for an abbreviated trip. I already have my Cigars packed (that’s the only thing packed at the moment) and am trying to decide if I should crack into the stash or wait.

Beach is likely to be tore up.
Might not be any power, either, from downed trees.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news...cle_c46c8888-b69a-11e8-b972-4346be6b14b7.html

I think its because different weather-reporters report on weather in different regions. So, the regional weather people for the Carolinas haven't had to deal with this type of storm for years. Regional weather reporters for Louisiana may be slightly more blase.

Your chances of driving down on Saturday are probably nil! Those roads get easily flooded and the storm will stick around until at least Saturday.

OK, good news from my Marines (son and wife). They are in base housing at Camp Lejeune, and all's well for them. Big wind, but not much water. They took a drive around the base earlier and saw siding down, gutters down, but no major destruction. As my son Robert put it, "...first world problems..". Power is out but they planned ahead for that. They've got food to eat, a way to charge phone batteries, all's quite well. Whew..!!

Last edited:
OK, good news from my Marines (son and wife). They are in base housing a Camp Lejeune, and all's well for them. Big wind, but not much water. They took a drive around the base earlier and saw siding down, gutters down, but no major destruction. As my son Robert put it, "...first world problems..". Power is out but they planned ahead for that. They've got food to eat, a way to charge phone batteries, all's quite well. Whew..!!
That sounds similar to my son at Fort Bragg/ Fayetteville except he has power. Thanks for that update on your son.

Your chances of driving down on Saturday are probably nil! Those roads get easily flooded and the storm will stick around until at least Saturday.
Yep. Hopefully Monday. Looks entirely possible but obviously depends on the next two days. Glad to hear y’alls kids are doing good and more importantly that their locations didn’t suffer too badly.

Whelp, the power is out in Fayetteville. But otherwise nothing major acording to my boy.

upload_2018-9-15_18-58-46.jpeg
Thought I would share this. USS Narwhal at the bottom of the Cooper River in Charleston, SC right after Hurricane Hugo.

Well we came down the Charleston SC today and got to our beach house. Ride down was interesting. Portions of the drive resembled an obstacle course but all in all wasn’t bad. Beautiful weather down here.

Same shit happens here with snow.