• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hydra Humidifier Problem

jepe

I set it up in my 28 wine cooler.
Its the smaller one.

Its annoying as hell,every 3-5 hours it start to beep to inform me that I need to refill it with water.

I thought it suppose to take days or weeks until you need to fill it up again.

Sid you plug the drainage hole on the bottom of the fridge? Humidity could be escaping through there. I would also check the seal on your door.

Sid you plug the drainage hole on the bottom of the fridge? Humidity could be escaping through there. I would also check the seal on your door.

Could be a leak. It beeps when the RH isn't brought up to the requested level within x-amount of cycles.

IF it isn't the above-mentioned, some other leak, then put a bowl of water in there and reduce the RH setting(temporarily) untill the beeping stops. Then monitor RH until the desired level is reached and then set the Hydra to that setting. Use a known good(salt-tested) hygrometer to check the RH level.

I dont have a drainage hole at the bottom,do you mean the one right beneath the cooler fan?

ETA:
Its funny,I set the hydra to 68%,after a while the hydra reading is 66-68% but the 2 hygros I have inside which I tested them with bovida read 58-59%.

I thought the hydra come already calibrated.

I dont have a drainage hole at the bottom,do you mean the one right beneath the cooler fan?

ETA:
Its funny,I set the hydra to 68%,after a while the hydra reading is 66-68% but the 2 hygros I have inside which I tested them with bovida read 58-59%.

I have the same exact problem. Seems my hydra shows about 8-10% higher than my digital and analog hygrometers in the same humi. and I have no idea how to salt test or how it could be. But the digital was tested. I'd trust the hygros you have and adjust the hydra accordingly.

ETA:

I have the same exact problem. Seems my hydra shows about 8-10% higher than my digital and analog hygrometers in the same humi. and I have no idea how to salt test or how it could be. But the digital was tested. I'd trust the hygros you have and adjust the hydra accordingly.

There may be a better way to do this; but, I simply set the hydra hrygrometer USING the known-tested hygrometers. In other words, turn the Hydra adjustment knob until it reads what the other hygros do.

ETA:

There may be a better way to do this; but, I simply set the hydra hrygrometer USING the known-tested hygrometers. In other words, turn the Hydra adjustment knob until it reads what the other hygros do.

That is what I have done, to some degree. The problem is that even at it's lowest adjustment with that little knob it still numbers 10 higher than the readings on the analog and digital hygros I have. It's just something you have to live with in a hydra I guess. All of them seem to be set high.
It might have to do with the location of the actual sensor that reads humidity in it. I read elsewhere on CP, not sure if it is correct, that it is more likely reading the humidity within the unit itself, and not in the humidor. It's why I have tried to find info on salt testing it. Then I can at least figure out if the humidity sensor is in the control or the body of the unit, and thusly what it is measuring..

It sounds like you have a malfunctioning hygrometer on your Hydra. As long as you can work with it to get reliable results I guess that's fine. Is it under warranty?

If you bought the Hydra though CI (as I did) they may exchange it for you. I had similar issues with the first one of these I had, exchanged it and the new one was much better.

I tried one in my 28 btl vino had the same issues
trashed it now use a 2 canister avallo but only use 1 canister works great

Don

I guess it's a relatively common problem with these then.
I got it second hand, so there's nowhere to return it. But I'm not too worried, it works fine, just has to be coupled with other hygros to stay reliable. The guy who started the thread might want to look into an exchange though, and I'm sure you were posting to him more than me. If it's constantly going off something has to be done no doubt. The sound on these things is god awful, and there's no mute or volume control.

My Hydra RH reading is not even close to what my calibrated hydrometer says. It not really a big deal as I just played with the setting till I got it to keep the 65 RH on my salt tested digital Hydrometer. I don't even pay attention to the LED on the Hydra. If there is a power outage and it resets I have to play with the adjustments again but that is not a big deal. I love the Hydra and have had it now for about 2 years.

I think that's what I'll do.
I set the hydra to 80% ,only then it actually affect the RH in my wine cooler.
The hygros reads 62%-65% ,even with 2 pounds of beads and the hydra...

I guess because I set the hydra too high its working all the time so that is why
it beeps too often.