• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hygrometer issues

donzz

So I was getting 3 different readings from my 2 hygrometers and my hydra.So yesterday I salt tested them and reset the xicar.
My wally world hygro was 11% low after 8 hrs in the salt test.So I put everything back into vino This morning I check and all 3 are within 2 % of each other
without adding the 11% to the wally world unit. What the hell happened? Should I retest them? or just get rid of the wally world
hygro?

Edit for clarity

So I was getting 3 different readings from my 2 hygrometers and my hydra.So yesterday I salt tested them and reset the xicar.
My wally world hygro was 11% low after 8 hrs in the salt test.This morning I check and all 3 are within 2 % of each other
without adding the 11% to the wally world unit. What the hell happened? Should I retest them? or just get rid of the wally world
hygro?

Hygrometers that we use are cheaply built and are generally only accurate to +/- 2%. Some are +/- 5%. Try replacing the batteries (this should be done yearly) and retest. If the wally world one is still off by that margin, toss it. Other then that, 2% variance for a humidor is fine.

-Chad

I have three Waly World hygros, and they are all over the place. One reads 4% above 75% on a salt test, one reads 1% below 75% on a salt test, and another reads 9% above 75% on a salt test.

Is it inconvenient? Sure as hell sucks, but it's worth it to me to have a bit of inconvenience adding math each time I open my humi, versus paying $30 BUCKS for another hygrometer. YMMV, just know it's not uncommon. You get what you paid for, and I feel it's worth my six bucks! :thumbs:

I have several hygrometers from different makers, all tested by double bagging a Boveda 75% packet. Some are +9, -3,etc. or on the money. Even my WallyWorld one is accurate,go figure.
I did have a Don Salvatore that I recently bought off CBid that sat next to a tested hygrometer in a humidor, just for comparison. At any given time of the day, it would be 68% or as low as 22% WAAAAH?, yet the other stayed the same. Changed the battery, but to no avail. After a month of this, it's now sitting as a thermometer on top of my setup.
I guess mine was built on a Friday afternoon somewhere in the world during quittin' time. :laugh:

I guess I didnt state my ? properly
If 1 was off by 11% during the salt test how is it now within 2%
seems to be holding steady at -2% of the readings Im getting from the xicar

Meh...maybe you got lucky then. So, that I'm reading this right, you're Wally hygro is +/- 2% from your Xikar hygro, which currently reads AT OR NEAR 75%, correct? So, what's the problem? ???

I have several hygrometers from different makers, all tested by double bagging a Boveda 75% packet. Some are +9, -3,etc. or on the money. Even my WallyWorld one is accurate,go figure.
I did have a Don Salvatore that I recently bought off CBid that sat next to a tested hygrometer in a humidor, just for comparison. At any given time of the day, it would be 68% or as low as 22% WAAAAH?, yet the other stayed the same. Changed the battery, but to no avail. After a month of this, it's now sitting as a thermometer on top of my setup.
I guess mine was built on a Friday afternoon somewhere in the world during quittin' time. :laugh:

You can try the Xikar hydros. Use that boveda pack or the salt test in a bag and then you can adjust it. Works well.

I edited 1st post to clarify my ?
Whatever. You stil haven't answered my supplemental question, so out of the three choices presented, I say toss your WalMart hygro. The End.

Meh...maybe you got lucky then. So, that I'm reading this right, you're Wally hygro is +/- 2% from your Xikar hygro, which currently reads AT OR NEAR 75%, correct? So, what's the problem? ???

Yes ww hygro was within 2% of xikar
No the xikar was at 65% as it was back in my vinotemp
the ww showed a reading of 63%
but when salt tested the ww was 11% off (64&) So why after placing in the vino did they read almost the same?
Sorry I didnt ask clearly but Im a little hung over this am

Yes ww hygro was within 2% of xikar
No the xikar was at 65% as it was back in my vinotemp
the ww showed a reading of 63%
but when salt tested the ww was 11% off (64&) So why after placing in the vino did they read almost the same?
Sorry I didnt ask clearly but Im a little hung over this am

Wow, well that IS weird. Now I see your dilemma. Only thing I can think is retest the WW hygro and the Xikar, but in seperate salt test bags, and do it for 72 hours and see if the same results yield. I'm banking that your Xikar is spot on, and maybe the WW hygro had a fluke for a bit during the salt test. If not, your cigars can come to be pretty dry here in a few days. Just keep an eye on them, and retest your hygros, preferably with a Boveda calibration kit. That way you know for SURE that it's spot on...

Go with a Savoy!! Much accurate than my Xikar. The only time I had an issue with it was when the battery needed to be changed. Best $20 I've spent on a hygrometer.

If you want an accurate reading of RH, go spend a grand on a scientific hygrometer, then pay to have it calibrated. Otherwise, make sure your beads are not pasty white and IGNORE the reading - unless it changes. Use only one and watch it for change. As it drops, its time to add water. That's all its good for.

donzz,

I have a wally world hydrogometer too as well as an adjustable one. I was having similar issues as you, so what i ended up doing is replacing the batterys in both units and salt testing them together. I still wasn't convinced a few months later, so I got a boveda bag and did it again. My adjustable didn't really change, but my wally one went from 7% low to 8% low. I keep one on the lid of my humi and one under the tray, and they are pretty close, but before the battery change, the wally one seemed to be all over the place.