• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I don't even need a humidifier

GDeAngelo

Reaction score
So, I seasoned my new humi for about a week. I threw in about 502 sticks. The hygrometer reads around 80%. The humidor is a 125 count. I have a Xikar 200 count beads with the xikar pg solution. I used this humidifier in my 25 count humi and I had no problem. I've had my windows open for a few days. I left the lid open all night and removed my humidifier. I shut it this morning around 930. I opened it around 1130, it was at 74%. The hygrometer was reading 69% when the lid was open. Does anyone have any ideas?

-Gianni-

So, I seasoned my new humi for about a week. I threw in about 502 sticks. The hygrometer reads around 80%. The humidor is a 125 count. I have a Xikar 200 count beads with the xikar pg solution. I used this humidifier in my 25 count humi and I had no problem. I've had my windows open for a few days. I left the lid open all night and removed my humidifier. I shut it this morning around 930. I opened it around 1130, it was at 74%. The hygrometer was reading 69% when the lid was open. Does anyone have any ideas?

-Gianni-

You threw 502 cigars into a 125 count humi ??? I'm assuming this was a typo? Re-Salt test your hygro to ensure that it's reading correctly.

As of right now, the hygrometer is sitting in the double ziplock bags with salt and water. It's been in there for nearly 4 hours. It's reading 89% RH. I'll see how it is in the morning.

-Gianni-

As of right now, the hygrometer is sitting in the double ziplock bags with salt and water. It's been in there for nearly 4 hours. It's reading 89% RH. I'll see how it is in the morning.

-Gianni-

If I remember correctly, the salt test shouldn't bring the hygrometer above 75%. Are you sure you didn't use too much water?

-Gianni-

If I remember correctly, the salt test shouldn't bring the hygrometer above 75%. Are you sure you didn't use too much water?

It's more likely that his hygro is off, rh too high in humi+rh too high in selt test (probably)=hygro is reading innaccurately. Leave your hygro in there for a few more hours then reset your hygro to 75%. once you have done that the rh in your humi will be much more realistic.

Could your cigars be over-humidified? This would explain higher humidity with lid closed vs. lid open.

Could your cigars be over-humidified? This would explain higher humidity with lid closed vs. lid open.

Well, I smoked a casa magna thursday. I had to relight it towards the end. So, I'm not sure. Once I get my hygrometer calibrated, I may look into some lower RH beads. I have the Zikar 70% RH ones now.

-Gianni-

I really could be wrong, but as of now I think your only problem is your hygrometer, if during a salt test it is reading +14% RH you've got to take that 14% out of your initial findings.

So, I seasoned my new humi for about a week. I threw in about 502 sticks. The hygrometer reads around 80% (change that to 66%). The humidor is a 125 count. I have a Xikar 200 count beads with the xikar pg solution. I used this humidifier in my 25 count humi and I had no problem. I've had my windows open for a few days. I left the lid open all night and removed my humidifier. I shut it this morning around 930. I opened it around 1130, it was at 74% (change that to 60%). The hygrometer was reading 69% (Change that to 55%) when the lid was open. Does anyone have any ideas?

-Gianni-

Now obviously your initial readings during the salt test are only after a couple of hours so let us know what the hygro is reading after a few more hours, but if it continues to read at +14% I'd say that's probably your only main problem.

This morning I woke up and it was reading 96%. I will see what is says once I'm home. I'm not sure how it got so out of wack, but it makes sense.

-Gianni-

96% humidity? Your hygrometer is definitely way off.

What brand/model is it? Is it an analog or digital?

96% humidity? Your hygrometer is definitely way off.

What brand/model is it? Is it an analog or digital?

It's a xikar digital. I cam home from work and is said 87%, not 97%. I guess I couldn't read through the double plastic bags. If the hygrometer goes above 89% is says -/-%. I held it down till it read 78%. I had another hygrometer in there too. It's about 5 off. It was reading 69%. I thew the hygrometers back in there humis. I'll see how it turns out.

Maybe I don't have enough sticks in there? :whistling:

-Gianni-

Well, I recharged my humidifier, calibrated my hygrometer and threw in a few more sticks. This morning it was sitting at 68% RH. :D Another day and I think I should be at a good 70%.

-Gianni-

So, last night and all today. It's been at 70% @ 71 degrees.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure how my hygrometer got out of wack, but oh well.

-Gianni-

Buy yourself a walmart $7 digital. They work great. I have 4 of them and the worst of the 4 is 2% off based on my salt tests.

Also, I think you mentioned you used the 50/50 solution on your beads. Try just distilled water. I have heard that stuff can ruin beads.