• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I got a problem

dirtyd21

So i started seasoning my new humidor and the directions that came with it said it would only take three days, well its been almost three days and the humidity has stayed at 75. Because it said that i went ahead and ordered 20 cigars online and they are scheduled to be here thursday. So to speed up the process i just went out and bought some boveta seasoning packets and the packages say that it is going to take 14 days to season. My first question is will it really take 14 days to season? Or does it just say that so i get the full use of the packets. My second question if it does take 14 days is what do i do with the cigars in the meantime!?!

So i started seasoning my new humidor and the directions that came with it said it would only take three days, well its been almost three days and the humidity has stayed at 75. Because it said that i went ahead and ordered 20 cigars online and they are scheduled to be here thursday. So to speed up the process i just went out and bought some boveta seasoning packets and the packages say that it is going to take 14 days to season. My first question is will it really take 14 days to season? Or does it just say that so i get the full use of the packets. My second question if it does take 14 days is what do i do with the cigars in the meantime!?!

There are many factors that will affect the seasoning process, one being how dry the humidor was to begin with.
If you aren't confident your humidor is seasoned, double ziploc bag the cigars, or use a Tupperware or Lock-n-lock. That should be fine for a week or two until your humidor is ready.

I'd give it the full 14 days. It may be reading a steady 75, but the wood may not have absorbed enough humidity to stay steady once the dryer, shipped cigars are packed into it. Always better to play it safe and take your time. Use a Tupperware container in the meantime.

I was about to start a thread on the exact same thing. Time to bag up the lot and put the shot glass back in.

I have used the Boveda seasoning packs with great results. When I get a new humi, I just drop 2 in and let it stand for 2 weeks without opening. Usually does the trick fine on the first shot. I would suggest dropping it in for the recommened 14 days, and placing your sticks in Tupperware or a Ziploc like recommend above. Remember depending on how dry the sticks are they may suck up a lot of humidity, so make sure you take the time a season it correct or it is going to be tough to regulate your RH.

The key word with seasoning is PATIENCE! Don't rush the process because if you do you could really screw up your investment, I say take the seasoning packets, give it the full 14 days to season and in the mean time just store your cigars in a clean tupper wear container with a %70 Humi pack, wont hurt your sticks and will give them a safe place to live while your new humidor is getting ready, I have done it many times myself.

I was in the same boat as you are in. It took my humidor 3 to 4 weeks. Use the tupperware.

I made this mistake when i started to season my first humidor and when i put the sticks in my humidity dropped out of sight so i had to reseason the humidor and it took about 2 weeks and was perfect after that.

Good Luck

Does your humidor have a digital or analog hygro? The analogs are unrealiable, imo.

I definitely agree with the previous posts, take your time seasoning and hold your current cigars in tupperware. But I would also like to add that even with a seasoned humidor, you will want to keep an eye on your cigars for about a week after you have put them in your humidor. Especially for cigars that you ordered online, which have probably dried out a bit during shipment.