• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I had to share this cigar misconception.

Gavin

I was at work today, chatting with a coworker when the subject of cigars came up. He knew of my interest in cigars, and was asking me about them. He smokes swishers, black & milds, and the like, usually when he drinks. He went on to ask me how I could smoke larger cigars when they take so long to smoke. He could barely get through a black & mild, because they took so long. He said something to the effect of, "Heck, they take so long to moisten, he's tired of them before he even lights up."

I immediately asked him what he meant by that, and he explained as if I should know this, that you have to lick the entire wrapper and get it moist, and suck on as much of the end as you could to prevent it from cracking when you smoked the cigar...

I couldn't believe this, so to be sure, I asked him if he meant just moistening the tip before he clipped it, as I've heard of smokers doing that to prevent splitting and fraying. Nope, he did this ritual to the whole cigar every time he smoked.

I don't think I'd smoke cigars at all if I had to fellate them prior to smoking. On the other hand, I'd marry a girl who smoked only double coronas. :laugh:

Yes, foreplay is definitely recommended!

Mostening the wrapper does help keep it from cracking, especially in the winter. Some folks run it under a dribble of water, then roll it on a paper towel, etc. Some lick it. Some will say "oh my god, why would they do that to a cigar!". It's a freakin cigar, not a holy relic. Soon it is going to be ash. It makes the wrapper more elastic, and as heat expands, we know elasticity is a good thing. We're talking lightly damp, not soaked.

You also saw that done, more, years ago, when humidification options were more limited, and less advanced.

edit to clarify,

I don't and never have done it. My brother in law on the other hand, every time Ihe lights up with me he licks the whole damn thing. The expression on my face I'm sure was priceless the first time he did it.

I have never had a need to do it.

My father-in-law does the whole licking thing on all his cigars before he smokes.. I never could bring myself to tell him it was unnecessary, but I did ask once why he did it and his response was.. "They smoke longer when they're wet"

To each their own I guess. As far as I go, if the wrapper cracks....especially cause of the weather...then I guess it cracks. I see no need in licking the entire cigar. I've also wondered about the "sharing" of a cigar. I've seen it and I don't get it. I've had people ask me if I wanted to "share" in their cigar. First of all, unless I'm going to smoke it for 10 minutes or something, I'm not sure I could have the same "experience" as the one offering it to me. Secondly, it just seems wrong. Then again I don't have a beer or something and start passing it around the room for everyone to swig from lol.

Some cigars I've had just seem to be tightly wrapped. It's not usually an issue unless I'm going from 65% and 70 f to a 23% and -20f environment. In those cases some wrappers I've had have to be moistened or they'll seriously split to the point of being unsmokable.

I've heard of people doing that. I, myself, don't but to each his own. Probably looks weird and gross to non-smokers and non-lickers alike.

It's not a misconception. Before the Cigar Boom things were a lot different. Most folks didn't have humidors, and bought their cigars a few at a time. Subsequently wrappers dried out and wetting them with saliva became common. People under 40 rarely if ever smoked cigars. It simply wasn't cool. It was something older people graduated to as they became more successful in life. A symbol of that success.. It was different in the Military, however as there was a long tradition of cigar smoking dating to Gen. Grant. So at the age of 20 I didn't feel to ridiculous, providing I stayed on Base. But I remember my first trip to a cigar shop, Holt's in Philly, and being looked at with suspicion by the old gentlemen who were serving customers.

Doc.

I never would have thought of licking the entire cigar before smoking it. Just seems that you shouldn't have to do that to enjoy a cigar, too weird and too much work.

My dad used to lick his cigars before smoking them. Since I got my humidor he has stopped doing it.

Some cigars I've had just seem to be tightly wrapped. It's not usually an issue unless I'm going from 65% and 70 f to a 23% and -20f environment. In those cases some wrappers I've had have to be moistened or they'll seriously split to the point of being unsmokable.

This.

My cigars from florida havent been going well here in cold florida =[ but im not gonna get my cigar off before i smoke it

I have never seen this happen before, so I guess when I come across it I wont be as shocked. To each his own, but especially with all the easy humidification devices it seems unnecessary. If it cracked so bad and was too dry I woudl honestly just throw it out unless it was some crazy rare smoke. Guess I have just had good luck with cigars at the right humidity.

I usually steer clear of cameroon wrapped cigars in the winter because of the splitting issue. In general though, I have not had a problem, so I have never had to lick or wet my cigar. I do like to moisten the end however.

I have never seen this happen before, so I guess when I come across it I wont be as shocked. To each his own, but especially with all the easy humidification devices it seems unnecessary. If it cracked so bad and was too dry I would honestly just throw it out unless it was some crazy rare smoke. Guess I have just had good luck with cigars at the right humidity.

It really has nothing to do how you store your cigars and more with the time and place you are going to smoke it.

Take a cigar stored at 70°F/70% Rh outside in 20°F and > 30% Rh weather and try to smoke it. It will explode on you if you don't first moisturize the wrapper. Regardless of how you do it, it just makes perfect sense in some conditions.

I have never seen this happen before, so I guess when I come across it I wont be as shocked. To each his own, but especially with all the easy humidification devices it seems unnecessary. If it cracked so bad and was too dry I would honestly just throw it out unless it was some crazy rare smoke. Guess I have just had good luck with cigars at the right humidity.

It really has nothing to do how you store your cigars and more with the time and place you are going to smoke it.

Take a cigar stored at 70°F/70% Rh outside in 20°F and > 30% Rh weather and try to smoke it. It will explode on you if you don't first moisturize the wrapper. Regardless of how you do it, it just makes perfect sense in some conditions.

Now that I think about it, that should be pretty common sense. Probably a good thing to keep in mind during these winter months.

Thats not true for me at least and I have done exactly that. If you keep them stored properly you normally shouldn't have a problem. I have smoke 100s of cigars and never had a splitting problem in any temp/humidity enviornment. I have never moistened them either.

I've never heard of this either. But now that i think about it, after I punch the cap, I do moisten the cap area a bit. I don't lick it but I just roll it a bit on the inside of my lips, and it's usually so my lips don't stick to the dry wrapper as I'm smoking it and tear the thing lol.