• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I hate Michigan!

smokers only

This tobacco tax thing is pissing me off! :angry: I hate my governor so much, I feel like us smokers are being singled out! The cigar tax right now is 20% and now going up to 32%. And the cigarettes are going up 7.50 a carton :angry:

Sorry Iam just pissed!

-matt

So how does that work exactly? If the selling price on a stick would be $10 you need to sell it for $13.20 and then charge sales tax on top of that? The state is making an f'ing killing.

I heard that cigarettes are goin up $.75 per pack, but I didn't realize the cigar tax was going up. Not good!
:angry:

Who is the new Gov anyway - I heard Engler was gone.

Sorry to hear the sad shape of things back home - mostly cause I actually miss MI (well... sometimes)

I feel the pain. Cigarettes just went up a buck a pack in Illinois. I work a few miles of the border of Indiana, a couple times a month I will take a long lunch and drive out that way.

That's why we have the internet... Unfortunately shipping liquor is still prohibitively expensive, otherwise I would be ordering that online too.

smokers only said:
This tobacco tax thing is pissing me off! :angry: I hate my governor so much, I feel like us smokers are being singled out! The cigar tax right now is 20% and now going up to 32%. And the cigarettes are going up 7.50 a carton :angry:

Sorry Iam just pissed!

-matt
Quit pissing and moaning. You could live in Washington, where the tobacco tax is the highest in the country.

Thank god for Cuba!

smokers only said:

Sorry Iam just pissed!

-matt
Hey - you will catch up to NY tax which is 37% plus the 8.25% sales tax.

MI cigerette tax: $2.00
IN Cigerette tax: $ .50

But ya do have a nice cigar shop in Northville (Detroit) :thumbs:

I'll be home soon, Matt. I can come out and discuss the merits and flaws of the new state gov't ovwer a stick with you, if you'll have me.

See my Herf post in the Cigar events section.

Somebody posted a great thread about a month ago comparing all the states tobacco taxes.

I tried to find it but I couldn't, can anyone find it for me?

It seems to me that Mississippi was one of the lower ones and as Tony Bones said, Washington state is proably the worst :(

Here it is CC:

Moki's Politics of State Tax Thread

For quick reference...

Tax By State (Estimated) / Figures based on a $5 wholesale cigar price marked up at 100%

chart.jpg

When I'm not buying online or sharing boxes with fellow CP brethren, I go to the smokeshop 6 miles north of me on an Indian reservation. Just paid $7.50 for Torano Tribute robustos, no additional taxes.

Treamayne said:
I'll be home soon, Matt. I can come out and discuss the merits and flaws of the new state gov't ovwer a stick with you, if you'll have me.

See my Herf post in the Cigar events section.
Let me know when your in town :)

-matt

I'm not wild about MS being 15% but man some of the state's taxes are outrageously high. States depend to much on tobacco tax for everything. Someone needs a raise, lets raise tobacco tax.

Well, as I am an Ohio State Grad, I must say that I don't care for Michigan at all, and it has nothing to do with the taxes.

Rknicker, just you wait!!!!!

ALostTexan

Back